MSRP

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by ktwm, Jan 18, 2008.

1. ktwm

ktwm New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    got some official "manufacture Suggested Retail Price" info on the new 22's.

PLR-22: $390 MSRP
    SU-22CA: $440 MSRP

To bring this MSRP into perspective lets compare it to other similar products:

Kel-Tec PF-9 HC is MSRP of $390

Kel-Tec SUB 2000 has an MSRP of $409

Ruger's new charger .22LR pistol is direct competition to the PLR-22 and has an MSRP of $370
    http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAPro...n=22%20Charger%99&bct=Yes&type=Pistol
    These seem to be going for a street price of between $270 and $350 based on what people have posted on other forums.

2. Bam_Bam

Bam_Bam New Member Supporter

Aug 29, 2005
    :-/ :(

I know this is MSRP, but that will still put them up a little higher that I anticipated. I was hoping that it would be more of a $300-325 street price for the SU-22CA. What you are suggesting is that they are probably going to have a street price around $375-400, is that correct? Kinda pricey for a .22lr plinker IMHO but I know it is a SU, but still hoping for a lower price. :-? After all isn't that what Kel-Tec is known for, good value, great weapon?

BamX2

3. ksdtoday

ksdtoday New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Im with you I know its going to be a good gun, But it is a little to much for a plinker. I want one and will more than likley get one but it will hurt.

4. ktwm

ktwm New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    its hard to say what the price will actually be. Usually they go for about 70 to 80% of MSRP, which would put the PLR22 in the $273-$312 range and the SU22 in the $308-$352 price range.

I still think the PLR22 will go for $300, or even a little less. and the SU22 is $50 MSRP more than the PLR22 so I think the rifle will go for less than $350. Of course some gun shops will sell it for more, especially in the begining when supply is low.

Kel-Tec does not set the actual price that a gun shop charges so all we can do is suggest it. Really all we can do is wait and see what the actuall market prices will be.

Kel-Tec knew it would be hard to compete in the .22LR rifle market, since there are so many rifles in the $150 to $250 range. The PLR-22 pistol should be competitive, since most plinking pistols sell in the $250 to $350 dollar range. (strange that the rifles are much cheaper than the pistols).  The SU22 rifle is basically a PLR22 with a longer barrel, longer stock, and the compact forend installed. The compact forend alone sells for about $45, which is nearly the price difference between rifle and pistol.

5. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    If I wanted one of those Rugers, I'd pay more and get a Thompson Center and get serious about accurate shooting.

I'd like the SU-22 and PLR-22 prices to be lower. Hopefully a lot of the expensive mold costs are already paid for by the SU-16 and PLR-16 and that can be reflected in the costs of the .22LR versions.

I don't begrudge Kel-Tec some profit. I want them to be profitable. But I do wonder about the proper price point to maximize profit, as Kel-Tec probably wonders as well. I'll pay the price, but I'm also thinking of getting a Kel-Tec tattoo. Most of the market isn't that brand loyal and will be shopping for a .22LR based a bit on features but a lot on price. The .22 models from Kel-Tec may need to sell at such a high price that they'll be relegated to low volume production. Price too high for the market and the individual profit on each sale will be great but the volume will be so low that overall profits are small. Priced too low and the product may sell in great volume, but the profit per sale will be so low that the overall profits are small. The latter strategy is particularly risky, because narrow profit margins and high volume can quickly become a financial disaster if there is a need to have a product recall or something similar. There is a peak in the profit maximization curve, where there is a healthy profit on each sale and the product is priced low enough that there is a fairly large volume. Good luck finding that point.

Sadly for us, profit maximization as taught in business school usually involves a very high initial price to stick it to devoted early customers like us, who as a result pay top dollar to beta test new products. The price is gradually lowered to pick up new customers at each price point, thus making sure that each customer buys in at the highest price he's willing to pay and profits are maximized. I haven't seen Kel-Tec do that though. They usually introduce at the lowest possible price and have modest price increases in January to cover inflation.

I think at some level, the more discerning customers do appreciate the difference in a Zytel stock and a nylon stock, and are willing to pay more for the added quality.

If the price is high enough on the Kel-Tec .22s, I'll probably buy the SU-22 first and put off the PLR-22 purchase for later.

Hey, if you want to sharpen the Kel-Tec pricing pencil and do me a REAL favor, how about working on the price of the RFB? We're discussing $30-$50 off the price of an SU-22, but $300-$500 off the price of an RFB might BUY an SU-22. It's finally 1Q08. I'm still slobbering over the idea of getting an RFB, even though I'm gun poor.

6. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    In my opinion, Kel-Tec has made a well thought-out decision for making the MSRP what it is. In fact, it is kind of hard to go too wrong on MSRP. The real price is the Dealer price, or what Kel-Tec charges to its Dealers (or Wholesalers, as the case may be).  This price is not published and Kel-Tec isn't married to it either.  Kel-Tec can publish a relatively high MSRP, yet still control the actual street price behind the scenes.  If the PLR-22s and SU-22s aren't selling then the MSRP doesn't need to be changed, just the Dealer price and the savings will be reflected on the street price that you and I pay!  Heck, a high MSRP just makes the actual street price (whatever it may be) seem like all the more of a bargain.

7. ksdtoday

ksdtoday New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    I was think and If anything is in direct competion with the SU-22 its the AR-15. Yes the same rifle that the SU-16 is in competion with. I have a buddy looking at getting a .223 rifle he really likes mine. But is really likeing the AR-15. He started reading up on the 22lr conversion and it sold him on the AR. I told him about the SU-22, but that didnt change his mind. he didnt like the idea of two rifles. He said the conversion kit installs, and un installs in mins. So all he needs in one gun and a back pack and he has two rifles.

Some other guns would be the AK-22 and M1600 from Armscor.

http://www.armscor.net/Rifles.htm

I have mix things about these but never had one in my hands. I think they run about $200.

8. gsr

gsr Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Concider that the Walther G22 has a starting MSRP of $456, and the Browning Buckmark Rifle has a starating MSRP of $612. I don't think that Kel-Tec is being unreasonable with the posted MSRPs. All of my pocket change is going into my SU-22 fund, because I think it will be a great gun.

9. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    If the PLR-22 can squeak by under 300 in street price, its a sale with me, and I don't think it is anything close to unreasonable. Just my opinion! There's just nothing much in that exact area that competes at that price.

Now, the compact foreend, that doesn't come WITH it, does it? If so that'd be awesome but I'm not holding my breath.

10. ktwm

ktwm New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    No, the compact forend does not come with the pistol (it does come with the rifle). But shooting .22LR only warms up the barrel a little, not Like the .223 round does in the PLR-16. You can easilly shoot the PLR-22 without the forend, and if you happen to touch the barrel, you will notice it, but it won't burn you.

11. rbsanspree

rbsanspree New Member

Feb 27, 2007
    Ever since I got my AR-15 i wanted a gun that would shoot similarly but not cost an arm and a leg to shoot. I looked at a drop-in conversion and found out the real price of using it in a 5.56 barrel. Since I didn't want to have to change my barrel and bolt everytime I wanted to shoot .22 I searched for a complete upper. There used to be a few models in the $350-$500 range but laying your hands on one in the last 10 months has proved unsuccessful. I then decided to look for a look-a-like .22lr and have a 2nd gun but similar principal, cheap practice and plinking. So after much debate I am building a .22 fun gun out of a ruger 10/22 at a price of around $550. So if I had any patience I would wait for the new SU-22, put a 6 position adjustable stock on it, a few extra mags, and call it a day. Heck prolly do that anyway, once they hit the street. Oh and KTWM my dealer wants to know if there are any p3ats coming he has a back log of around 15, and can't keep them on the shelf. Same with PF-9s.

Thanks,
    Brandon

12. BuccaneersFan

BuccaneersFan New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Kind of pricey if you ask me, I hope the street price is under $300 even so it will still be kind of high in my opinion.

Ktwm do you know if it will come with 1 or 2 mags? Also, tell your boss or whoever you need to that the Kel-Tec enthusiasts want the street price at $229.99 so do what ever it takes to get the price down. ;) ;D ;D ;D

13. poppo

poppo Member

Jul 3, 2008
    That is just what I had been looking into for the last few weeks. But I may wait for the SU-22 unless demand keeps prices inflated too long.

14. cyberdragon

cyberdragon New Member

Apr 1, 2008
    i have already spoken to several gun shops in my area......one has quoted me the price of $369 for the SU-22 when it comes to him... and another shop quoted me $349 when they get one....we won't talk about the other one....he's a rip >:(

anyway, the point is that every dealer i have talked to is quoting less than $370....so that is good i think

15. mosteller

mosteller New Member

Aug 17, 2008
    its expensive but thats a good price

16. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    $308.62 for one of the first batch of 100.

I know people. :p

:D

17. BobD

BobD New Member

Jul 18, 2008
  18. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I paid 6% state sales tax, but no shipping or FFL fee - out the door for $327.14.

Once the supply is up and the demand is down, I think the price will improve a little, but Kel-Tec uses some much nicer SU-16 molded and machined parts than the more commodity .22 rifles, so I wouldn't look for prices to drop much. Many lesser .22 rifles are half the price and still nice. I think the SU-22 will appeal more to those willing to pay a little more to get a lot more... in other words, value shoppers instead of price shoppers.

19. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    you could pay what I did for my GSG....

:-X

this is a definite bargain. the only other one was my ar-22. that was kinda inexpensive.

20. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Or, I could buy an SU-22, PLR-22, and have enough left over to buy some serious ammo!

That GSG is one sweet rifle, though.

I wish Kel-Tec made a super lightweight SUB-22. The SUB-2000 is already a blow back operated carbine. The .22 version could use a smaller bolt, lighter recoil spring, and 10/22 mags. That could be a very fun little gun.