Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here got a Gravely Zero turn mower?
Im lookin at the ZT HD 60 model to be exact.

If so how good is it?
Any gripes or complaints?

Im looking at new ones and would like some input from some KTOGr's before dropping a bunchamuny on one .

Jim

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Dad bought one of the two wheel tractors, we used it for years in the Big garden and for mowing. Their tuff.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Not experienced with their new stuff but I think a lot of their old stuff. Last year I finally retired my old Gravely tractor. It had been going since 1980. Still runs but the mower deck spindle bearings are going bad, the clutch lining was getting real thin, and they are very expensive to replace. I did rebuild the Kohler 12 horse on it 5 years ago. That old thing had a 50 inch deck, 8 forward speeds and 2 reverse. Would climb trees if it could get enough traction. It still rides better than my new Cub Cadet.:(

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
their old stuff was really well made, dad had a pair of the big mowers from the 60s or 70s, pulled a 2 wheeled seat if he wanted to ride though it was really a walk-behind. Dunno what the newer stuff is like, but they have been in the biz for a long time and used to be top quality.

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I took the plunge.
Thursday I bought a Gravely ZT HD60. zero turn. 24 HP Kawasaki, 60 " deck.
Its called an entry level commercial mower.

This thing is built like a tank, weighs 863 lbs, and has power to climb the steepest hil ,while cutting grass, and never drops 1 rpm.
It wil mow 6" grass to 2.5 " at 8 mph, and turn on a dime.

I had to stop every 10 minutes , just to get off and let my butt laugh, its fun.

gravely.jpg

I like it so far, as my mowing time on Friday (first time using)was cut from 6hrs to 3.2 hrs.

Its a little rough ride at 8 mph on rough terrain.( suspension seat is about $250.00)
It will slide with you going down steep hills, a beast going up hill.

I need a lot of practice to turn , not to tear up the lawn.

If anyone is looking at buying a zero turn, I reccomend the Gravely.

Nice machine.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
They are heavy. My old lawn tractor Gravely 8122 weighs between 4-500 lbs. Rear engine mounted to the heavy cast iron 8 speed trans.

I tried a zero turn when I bought my Cub Cadet. Didn't like how it rode. Those tiny front wheels would have been tough to take in my "ex pasture" back yard. Last summer during the drought I had huge cracks that those tiny wheels would have dropped completely into.
I like what you have there. If it works as good as it looks then you got a winner.:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts