Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone mounted a laser or combo laser/light directly to the factory carry handle? KelTec offers some short Magpul M-LOC polymer rails that look like they can be attached to the side of the carry handle M-LOC slots. I know I have the option of replacing the carry handle with a Picatinny rail allowing for many mounting options on top of barrel, but I am considering keeping the carry handle and want to add a laser.

·
Registered
15 Posts
IF you brows through the picture thread pinned to the top of this group there are a number of pictures sowing various lights/lasers mounted to the carry handle. I too am planning on adding a light/laser combo. Considering the Olight Baldr PRO or the HiLight P3XL.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for directing me to the thread with pictures. Looks like the M Lock Cantilever Rail/Light Mount is recommended for getting the light/laser forward for no shadowing. The one that KelTec offers is polymer, but I think the alumimum one is probably better. I like the HiLight P3XL 300 light/laser combo as the laser and light end up being on top of each other vertically which keeps the laser closer to the barrel of the KS7.

169 Posts
Thanks for directing me to the thread with pictures. Looks like the M Lock Cantilever Rail/Light Mount is recommended for getting the light/laser forward for no shadowing. The one that KelTec offers is polymer, but I think the alumimum one is probably better. I like the HiLight P3XL 300 light/laser combo as the laser and light end up being on top of each other vertically which keeps the laser closer to the barrel of the KS7.
Good choice. I’m happy with the P3XL laser/light and the red dot, Vector Optics Wraith, which has motion-wake, and the carry handle stays. I use a P3XL on my Walther .40 cal pistol also. BTW I’m experiencing NO shadowing using a normal short straight aluminum mlok rail. The only thing is, you can’t see the laser in the daytime even with overcast skies. I went to the (outdoor) range Saturday and using the red dot was deadly accurate. I had previously sighted both in using a laser bore sight. Works really well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
im happy with the P3XL laser/light and the red dot, Vector Optics Wraith, which has motion-wake, and the carry handle stays. I use a P3XL on my Walther .40 cal pistol also.
View attachment 53963
I love the set up of your KS7 and admit that I have copy cat it with the same AR rail. I wasn't sure what kind of red dot I wanted so I bought a cheap Feyachi off Amazon for now. I've been considering the P3XL laser/light combo or the Olight Baldr PRO as I like the small profile they have as opposed to a larger flashlight. Can you tell me how many slots the P3XL uses in a the rail? Also how did you zero the laser and red dot, laser bore sight?

169 Posts
I love the set up of your KS7 and admit that I have copy cat it with the same AR rail. I wasn't sure what kind of red dot I wanted so I bought a cheap Feyachi off Amazon for now. I've been considering the P3XL laser/light combo or the Olight Baldr PRO as I like the small profile they have as opposed to a larger flashlight. Can you tell me how many slots the P3XL uses in a the rail? Also how did you zero the laser and red dot, laser bore sight?
The P3XL uses one slot. I have it on the most forward slot. It also has a strobe feature if you didn’t know. Yes I zeroed the red dot and the laser at 10 yards using a laser bore sight. All 3 ended up being one dot. Thank you for liking my setup. Just make sure you tighten the knob of the rail as tight as you can because after shooting for awhile it can loosen up then you have to zero it again. That’s the only problem I had. Minor.

169 Posts
[email protected],

can you provide some detail on how you got a rail mounted to the carry handle!?
yes, it was easy. The hole of the rail almost lines up with the existing hole for access to the rear carry handle mounting screw. All youhave to do is Dremel just a little bit, elongate the hole (1/4”) toward the front. And make the hole a little bigger the accommodate the big knob. That’s it. Make sure you tighten the knob really tight with vise grips or something or it will loosen up. The pic you’re seeing shows the elongated hole but I kinda did too much. Then make sure the rail doesn’t rest on the rear factory sight tab. Tighten like hell and you’re good to go.

·
Registered
325 Posts

I have a $40 Feyachi with a pressure switch mounted on the Magpul forend grip on a Mossberg 500. I've shot the hell out of that thing and that light is still there, still bright as hell and still on the initial charge on one of the 2 rechargeable batteries it came with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The P3XL uses one slot. I have it on the most forward slot. It also has a strobe feature if you didn’t know. Yes I zeroed the red dot and the laser at 10 yards using a laser bore sight. All 3 ended up being one dot. Thank you for liking my setup. Just make sure you tighten the knob of the rail as tight as you can because after shooting for awhile it can loosen up then you have to zero it again. That’s the only problem I had. Minor.
Thank you. So a 3 slot M-Lok rail will do the job....good to know. What bore sight did you use. One of the adjustable ones that can be used in multiple sized bores or one specific for just a 12 gauge? I've read so many different review of each kind and both seem to require some adjusting to make sure they are pointing straight before being used. Just wasn't sure which one was easier to "calibrate" (if you will) than the other.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you post a side shot of the P3XL? Still trying to decide on standard short M-Loc or extended cantilever M-Loc to move it forward a bit more.

169 Posts
Can you post a side shot of the P3XL? Still trying to decide on standard short M-Loc or extended cantilever M-Loc to move it forward a bit more.

Sure! try it on a regular rail first. I saw no need to move it forward. There was no noticeable shadowing. I feel like it’s more solid on the straight rail. To each it’s own. Good luck!

169 Posts
Thank you. So a 3 slot M-Lok rail will do the job....good to know. What bore sight did you use. One of the adjustable ones that can be used in multiple sized bores or one specific for just a 12 gauge? I've read so many different review of each kind and both seem to require some adjusting to make sure they are pointing straight before being used. Just wasn't sure which one was easier to "calibrate" (if you will) than the other.
Brian,
I used the vector optics 12 gauge laser bore sight. It’s not adjustable. I trust that it’s straight, (the range time seems to indicate that), I would not recommend getting an adjustable bore sight as it can be off or be adjusted off and you’d have to sight the bore sight in order to sight the red dot or laser. Make sense?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, P3XL looks solid and closer to centerline of barrel. I found an aluminum 3 rail m-loc at a local gun shop. Cabela only carries the polymer ones. I did find a sight Mark 12 gauge bore site at Cabela’s.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What is best way to install laser bore sight in KS7? Remove butt stock to get elevator arms out of the way and insert the boresight in chamber?

169 Posts
What is best way to install laser bore sight in KS7? Remove butt stock to get elevator arms out of the way and insert the boresight in chamber?
No you don’t have to do all that. The KS7 allows you to load straight into the chamber. Bring the pump handle back all the way to the rear. Turn it over like you’re gonna load it. push the pump handle toward the front a tiny bit (1/4”). you’ll see the forks recede down. take your boresight (turn it on first) and lay it on the forks. Push the pump handle all the way forward. The bore sight will load into the chamber. To remove, rack the pump handle and it will eject. You can also use this method to load a round in the chamber before you load the magazine tube, if you choose to keep a round in the chamber. (I don’t). MAKE SURE THE SAFETY IS ON “S” DO NOT DRY FIRE, DO NOT PULL THE TRIGGER, with the bore sight in the chamber. If you do It may ruin the firing pin.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts