Mounting a red dot on the carry handle?

Discussion in 'KS7 Bullpup Shotgun' started by [email protected] yahoo.com, Jun 21, 2020.

1. unodemo

unodemo Member

Dec 27, 2019
    Texas
    "Why 1000 lm? This one is 300 lm and lights up the room! Way more than enough to identify a possible target. And still bright enough to blind the subject. Which IMO is all you need for home defense."

Agreed. I run 350 lm and I still get a sight picture out to 15yds. No wires to snag either, just a pushbutton base. Simple wins.

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2019

Don't trust that laser bore sighter. I mean it will be close I guess, if close is good enough. It was a good 4" off when I zero'd mine. Get a handful of slugs and put a piece of plywood out about 20 yards and paint a 2" circle on it. Then zero the red dot. Then line your BUIS up with the dot.

FWIW, I have a Romeo 5 Compact on my KSG25. I paid $113 for it, it's shake awake and after several hundred rounds it's still right where I put it. And I would avoid any laser/light combos, particularly the " Affordable" ones.

3. rs_worthington@ yahoo.com

[email protected] yahoo.com Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2020
    I’m gonna sight it in at 10 yards. Should be pretty close for HD buckshot at inside the home distances. That’s all I need it for.

Floyd Eye likes this.
  4. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    If you sight it in further out do you know how much you'll be off at 10 yards? Not enough to quibble about. It's good to pattern it out a bit so that you can see what you have just in case it's ever needed.

Also, if you sight it in using shot is it really sighted in at all? Personally I would sight it in with slugs at maybe 50 yards and the shot column is going to be "right there" at the range you'll use it at. If you sight it in at 10 yards you could be off at 50. I know you don't anticipate a 50 yard shot, but things happen that we don't control.

Case in point, there is a thread from a gent who lives on the CA coast. He never anticipated needing his sub2k until the center of town was destroyed in a riot. Stuff happens. People have homeowners insurance not thinking the worst will happen but in case it does. I can go on and on. My point is to not deliberately limit your options. If you need it it's not a sporting event and points aren't given for a 2nd place finish. Sighting it in at distance costs virtually nothing, a box of slugs at most and you'lllearn what the gun is capable of with them. I know you'll never need them, but you might want to keep a bunch of them on hand. The country is becoming a very dangerous place and in a month it might not be recognizable. It's just a potential and not definite. But ammo doesn't go bad for over 100 years if it's stored properly. I'm shooting .22 that I bought 50 years ago. Yeah, really.

I shoot competition with a PCC (pistol caliber carbine) and I sight it in at 50 yards and have never regretted it even though I have yet to see a target at that distance. Why? I know that the bullet doesn't cross my line of sight until it gets out to 50 yards. That's close enough for home defense also. 10 Yards with buckshot? You got that, and will have confidence that you do.

But it's your gun and ammo you do what you want with it.

FWIW, for hunting I always sighted my slug guns in at 75 yards and knew where they hit at 100. I would get 3" groups @ 100 and that was good enough for deer even though I never had any intention of trading in my rifle for a shotgun. But I had the option.

It's late, I'm rambling, I need sleep.

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2019
    I sighted my KSG25 in at 20 yards. It's purely a defense tool for me. I suggested 20 yards for the KS7, for the same reasons BJK pointed out. That is if you have it sighted in at 20-30 yards you are still going to be damn close at 10 yards, but it won't work that way in reverse. Personally I think 50 yards is too far for a tiny little shotgun like a KS7, which I would never use as a slug hunting shotgun, but that's just me.

Totally agree about sighting in with slugs. Patterning shotguns is for hunting with birdshot. And frankly it's more work than is necessary to zero a red dot on a tactical shotgun.