Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sorry. I thought you knew the shake awake had an auto shut off. Yes, that's how it works, it must be on for it to go to sleep. Don't disturb it and it goes to sleep and awakens instantly at the slightest vibration. Don't expect it to shut off if it's traveling in a car or slung over a shoulder. It might use some battery power as it naps but it shouldn't be as much as when it's emitting light for the reticle.

The ones I have with that feature nap in about 8-10 minutes of inactivity. I never had the patience to time it. It was all I could do to not jiggle it to reset the timer before it shut itself off. As long as they shake awake it's not all that important how long it takes for them to go to sleep.

Basically turn it on and just leave it on. The sight does the rest. If you sleep with it breathing would keep it turned on. I don't have one on my HD firearm because it leans up against the headboard and every time one of us turns over it would shake awake. So I just have an on all the time sight on it and change the battery once a year. Or I did. Now I have an MRO on it and it has off settings between the on settings. I think it also has a few NV settings but I don't have it primarily for NV use.

Do you know how many hours the battery is good for? Those should be waking hours and not sleeping hours for the sight. But keep checking it. The Chinese are notorious for reporting fiction. (I'm being kind)

NV... yeah, one NV setting isn't much good or the few found on my MRO. NV should have gain control and as that's adjusted for different amounts of ambient starlight a different NV setting needs to be adjusted to compensate.

All of my guns that have the option of a suppressor also have NV sights on them, some better and some not so good at NV. When we maintained a bird feeder it would draw all sorts of vermin that the dogs could get into. The Contender with a subsonic .223 and a 35gr .22 mag overrun bullet would nail them and they'd never know what hit them. Basically it was silent death delivered in the darkness.

Here's a pic' of the 300Blackout handgun (we deal in technicalities even though it might not look like a handgun) set up for nightime operations. Probably never be used that way but it wears a can most of the time so why not have the option? The NV is on a QD mount and can move from firearm to firearm.The can lives on that handgun.

The "thing" near the muzzle is a 5mw IR flashlight. It can't be seen naked eye but lights up shadows for the NV. It's on a 45°offset QD mount also and doesn't stay there.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm considering SBRing that handgun. We'll see. It's quite usable as it is. I think every gun person should build at least one AR handgun.

I'm looking to get a KS7, but everything other than the 300BLK* has replaced one or more guns that have been sold. I swear I'm actually in reduction and simplification mode. The KS7 is my last and will replace, after it proves itself, a much larger and heavier riot/battle shotgun. I was strongly considering a KSG Tactical, but I just don't use a shotgun enough to justify the cost and jumping through the ATF hoops. But it sure is nice!

*Long story that I'll try to make short. I ordered a Desert Tech MDR. At the time I had to order it in either .308 or .223 but wanted neither. The only way to get it in 300BLK was to convert an existing rifle and I ordered the conversion at the same time. The rifle came in after 3 years, then I waited another year+ for the 300BLK barrel, in the meantime retailers are receiving theirs. I paid in full and waited 4+ years and you KNOW that retailers did NOT tie up their $ that long waiting to get into inventory something to sell. I hit the roof, cancelled my order and built what's seen above. The initial intent was for my 300BLK to be a conversion of the MDR, have a 16" barrel and not be a handgun with a 10" barrel. It looks longer there due to the handguard that covers most of the can. I like what I built more than what the MDR would have been.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It fits perfect! Per dfariswheel’s suggestion I got a AR carry handle rail and mounted it. It needed a little bigger hole drilled in the handle where the handle mounting screw access hole is. And you can still see the factory fiber sight. It’s a little longer than I would have liked but oh well. And I think the knob is kinda gaudy, I’m probably gonna replace that with a hex head screw and washer to make it a little lower profile. Other that that it’s perfect. Now deciding which red dot to get......... I’m not gonna put a lot of money into one. Thanks for the suggestion worked out well.
RS, just got my sight rail today and to get it to align to the screw hole. Part rests on the rear sight. Since the intent is to get red dot anyways, what is your or others opinion on either grinding the rail or the rear sight? Figure my dermel can do equal damage to the rail or the rear sight. Thanks in advance!!

152 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
If you got the same rail I have, the threaded mount hole is not centered in the rail itself. Try flipping it 180 and it should get you closer. It needs to fit just in front of the tab. Also I had to elongate the hole in the handle to move the rail about 1/4” toward the front. It needs to rest flat in the channel or it will be off. I didn’t want to file that rear sight tab down but you can. I just felt elongating the hole was less obtrusive than filing the tab since I had to make the hole bigger anyway so the screw knob would fit. Takes like 10 seconds with the dremel. But then again your particular mount might be different. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you got the same rail I have, the threaded mount hole is not centered in the rail itself. Try flipping it 180 and it should get you closer. It needs to fit just in front of the tab. Also I had to elongate the hole in the handle to move the rail about 1/4” toward the front. It needs to rest flat in the channel or it will be off. I didn’t want to file that rear sight tab down but you can. I just felt elongating the hole was less obtrusive than filing the tab since I had to make the hole bigger anyway so the screw knob would fit. Takes like 10 seconds with the dremel. But then again your particular mount might be different. Hope this helps.
Ah ok, yes think elongating the hole would fix my hitting the rear sight issue. Which is good as my son-in-law came over to the house and about had a heart attack that I was getting ready to grind the rear sight down. Guess that is a cardinal sin to real gun guys.... I just figured hey is a shotgun for short distances, red dot for the range, if it really comes down to it and the red dot is not working. 12 gauge pellets in their general direction will help who I am shooting at find the way out of the house.

152 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
The red dot for me is go-to in HD. It comes on with motion so it’s ready to go without button-fumbling when I bring the gun up. If I have time I’ll turn on the flashlight and/or green laser, if needed, and actually, contrary to common belief, most red dots are designed/intended for CQB of 25 yards or less and in my case it’s 20 feet or less. It won’t miss. It’s sighted in with a laser bore sight. Should be good to go. Additionally, you mentioned just pointing in general direction if dot fails, the rail I have has a valley just 1/8” above the rear sight tab. I can still look down the mostly unobstructed channel and see the front factory sight even with the red dot mounted. If all else fails. If you want the Ebay link for that rail I can look it up.

152 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
RS, elongating the hole just smidge did the trick and yes now can see down the rail to the front sight. What is your recommendation for the red dot? Also, is your hilight this model: HiLight PIRGL
No, HiLight P3XL, combo 300lm light/laser. It’s rechargeable instead of replacing battery. About $70. My red dot is Vector Optics Wraith SCRD-17. Just under $100. Least expensive I could find with “shake-awake” feature. I was on a budget. There’s better products out there but after quite a bit of research I think I got the most bang for the buck. But the proof is in the shooting and I haven’t gotten to the range to try this setup yet but the last time I was there, I sighted in the HiLight laser which is deadly accurate, that much I can tell you. The enclosed pic was at the range, @ 15 yards, one round Fiocchi 2-3/4” nickel 00 9 pellet buckshot, not aiming, just laser pointed at the center of the head. I imagine the pattern is tighter at shorter ranges like 25 ft. I’ll experiment with that next range trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you, as you probably know accessories can quickly cost more than the gun so less expensive but reliable works for me. My sight on my AR pistol cost more than the pistol itself, which caused my daughter to tell me to stop showing her husband all my expensive toys......something about "your dad has one, why can't I?" or something to that effect. :)

152 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Thank you, as you probably know accessories can quickly cost more than the gun so less expensive but reliable works for me. My sight on my AR pistol cost more than the pistol itself, which caused my daughter to tell me to stop showing her husband all my expensive toys......something about "your dad has one, why can't I?" or something to that effect. :)
Lol I Heard that! I’m shopping for an AR pistol myself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lol I Heard that! I’m shopping for an AR pistol myself.
I went 300 blackout due to subsonic ammo and with a silencer they are pretty quite. Still waiting on ATF for my silencer approval which is BS in itself but I go to the gun shop every fews weeks and at least touch it. They take your tax stamp money right away but take 9 to 12 months to approve you. I am a 20 year Army vet but ATF still needs to valid me which is just crazy.

152 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Yeah I’ve heard it sometimes takes years for a stamp. I don’t need silencers and all that, however, I’d be interested in hearing about some possible scenarios that would call for all that kind of stuff as a civilian on US soil. I’m only interested in keeping bad people out of my house if the SHTF. My KS7’s set up pretty good for that I think. And a little range fun meanwhile. I’ve owned 5 AR’s really had no interest in getting another one but the budget ATI Omni Hybrid Max 5.56 and/or .300 bk pistol kinda caught my eye. Right now it looks like none are to be had. I imagine they can’t make them fast enough. Sounds familiar.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Main reason for a suppressor is quiet target shooting in your backyard if you have the land but neighbors are still closeby or otherwise want to keep the noise down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah I’ve heard it sometimes takes years for a stamp. I don’t need silencers and all that, however, I’d be interested in hearing about some possible scenarios that would call for all that kind of stuff as a civilian on US soil. I’m only interested in keeping bad people out of my house if the SHTF. My KS7’s set up pretty good for that I think. And a little range fun meanwhile. I’ve owned 5 AR’s really had no interest in getting another one but the budget ATI Omni Hybrid Max 5.56 and/or .300 bk pistol kinda caught my eye. Right now it looks like none are to be had. I imagine they can’t make them fast enough. Sounds familiar.
I know everything is hard to get these days, I am glad bought when I did. However, my main issue is ammo, I like putting holes in paper targets. With personal issues in my life it is a stress relief, but now I have to limit my range time due to the ammo shortage. I personally think it is the hoarders that sell on the auction sites. They buy everything up and try to sell for 2 to 3 times more than what they paid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Main reason for a suppressor is quiet target shooting in your backyard if you have the land but neighbors are still closeby or otherwise want to keep the noise down.
Really main reason I went with a silencer was because I could, but the whole ATF nut roll is designed to limit individual's right to buy one because they can.

·
Registered
317 Posts
...the whole ATF nut roll is designed to limit individual's right to buy one because they can.
True'er words were never spoken. We're just about the only country that treats them as way more dangerous than what they're attached to, which is bass ack-wards.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I don't own cans to keep the noise down for neighbors. They know I shoot and that it makes noise, but of course a can does mitigate that somewhat for the ears of others.

The main reason I own them is... well, it started with HD. For many years my HD firearm was either a shotgun or a handgun, but IMO, both of those are just the means to fight ones way to a rifle. OK, not so much a shotgun, but definitely a handgun. The shotgun also unleashes a cloud of shot and not all of them hit the target. Rebuilding the home to cover bullet holes can get costly. So for me both a shotgun and handgun have their problems. Enter the rifle. Anyone who has ever fired one indoors knows that the concussion from the muzzle blast can be painful for anyone not tuning out everything else (it's called auditory exclusion) and lots of times even for the person doing the shooting auditory exclusion might not exist. A can makes a rifle a viable HD firearm because it removes that concussion and the pain associated with it.

Of course the suppressor also can quiet things down, sometimes to the giggle level of quiet. But some just remove the blast. In the pic' somewhere above, the can on the pictured handgun is one of that type. It's not a hearing safe suppressor, what it does is removes the concussion for indoor use. Most of us civilians don't want that sort of suppressor. What it does have is an ultra short length due to it's construction. (Amtak CQB-M)

Another side effect of having a can on the end is removal of flash. There simply is no better flash hider than a suppressor. With NV one might see the barest of flickers at a shot but with the naked eye most cans produce no flash. I haven't tested the CQB can on the 300BLK for that yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it has some or even a lot.

rs_w, if you know where to look they are available. If you have a local manufacturer they have parts in stock and are making them. If you don't have one I can put you in touch with one if they're OK with it. I just don't know if they want to be bothered sending firearms out and I'd need to ask first. Or you can do as I did, build your own. When parts weren't generally available is when I built mine. The local manufacturer parted with a serial numbered lower even though they didn't want to. The rest was a mix of being up to me and off of their parts wall. I finished it maybe a month ago. It took 2 weeks and most of that was just waiting for the parts to ship once I decided on what parts to order. Some parts came out of my parts box. Once I had the parts it went together fairly quickly. It would have been faster if I didn't go with a carbon fiber handguard that has a nut that needed a 24 hour cure time.

As far as cartridges, if you're building handgun you can do a lot worse than 300BLK which was designed to be very efficient in short barrels.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts