Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Ok you asked for the results. I don’t know about you but I like it. The height of the sight picture is perfect for me, allows me to get the stock in the pocket of my shoulder and not have to strain to get sight lined up. and really fast to acquire target much more so than the factory sight, but the factory sight can still be utilized. It works nicely co-witnessing with the laser, or without laser on. I think I’m happy with it. Except maybe I’ll eventually get a good quality mini red dot to replace this cheapo. The good ones are high dollar and cost more than the gun itself! I’ll let you know how the new sight performs and holds up at the range when I get out there again. Thanks again dfariswheel for the suggestion.

Attachments

152 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Update: replaced the cheapo mini red dot with a mid-priced Vector with motion sense shake-awake and auto shutoff. It’s a little bigger but it seems to work well, great easy sight picture with both eyes open, and very fast target acquisition, so I think I finally got this home defense system where it has everything needed to function well in its primary role if the SHTF. And a lot of fun at the range. Welcoming all comments, let me know what you guys think good or bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
That actually looks better!

Update: replaced the cheapo mini red dot with a mid-priced Vector with motion sense shake-awake and auto shutoff. It’s a little bigger but it works well, great easy sight picture with both eyes open, and very fast target acquisition, so I think I finally got this home defense system where it has everything needed to function well in its primary role if the SHTF. And a lot of fun at the range. Welcoming all comments, let me know what you guys think good or bad.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I like them both. But more than anything I like the idea and the way it was accomplished. Well done!

Earlier you wrote about sight expense as it compares to the firearm... Without a good sight the firearm is nothing. Personally I don't look at the cost of the firearm to determine what to spend on the sight. I look to function and purpose first and cost is secondary, not that I want to squander $ on overly expensive sights. I've run across people on this site who want to cut corners on a sight that will potentially be used to defend their lives. Their LIVES! And they quibble over $100 or so. Really? Their life isn't worth $100? Maybe they don't have the $, but then I would do something else. There are other quality options available if their mind is open.

I've probably written this before on this site. I once had a buddy who would buy really nice rifles and put the cheapest crappy sights on them to save a buck. He brought a AUG clone over (MSR?) to shoot on my range, years ago. He thought it was the best thing that his optic ahd color and reticle options, except there was one major flaw. It was totally useless on a bright sunny day; the day he brought it over to shoot it. So here he was with a really nice rifle turned into a turd because he didn't want to spend the $ for a quality sight. He did this over and over and I never could get through to him that he was turning all of his rifles into feces by putting junk on them for sights. Another buddy shoots competition with me and he regularly throws a course of fire because his battery gives out in the middle of one. Sure, he can go to a safe table and change it out, but there are no do overs in competition or life. A few $ more would have gotten him a sight that wasn't a battery hog.

You did good and I'm going to steal your installation idea when I get my KS7. That is, if I buy one, but that's highly likely. I was all set to buy a KSG Tactical yesterday, but I really don't shot shotgun enough to justify the expense of purchase and another $200 to ATF, couple that with the potential 1 year waiting to take possession. It'll remain on the wall at the LGS. The KS7 I can take home on the same day and it's not much bigger. One difference with my installation. I have a SeeAll just looking for a home. I'm pretty sure that's what will go on it.

You'll like the "shake awake" feature. It really doesn't need to be shaken. Just disturb it in the slightest and it wakes up. I have it on other sights and it works great.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Why is a tax stamp needed for the KSG?

BTW...for all those considering the KSG, PSA just sent out an email today showing availability, at $999.

I was all set to buy a KSG Tactical yesterday, but I really don't shot shotgun enough to justify the expense of purchase and another $200 to ATF, couple that with the potential 1 year waiting to take possession. It'll remain on the wall at the LGS.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Why is a tax stamp needed for the KSG?
Only for the Tactical model with the 14" barrel and is only 4 or 5 shells per tube instead of 7 or 8. The Compact model is the same but a legal-length barrel so you can take delivery and Form 1 it later.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The poster was likely talking about the KSG Tactic that has a short Class 3 barrel.
For that model you have to get a tax stamp.

The subject of electronic sights on a defense gun is complicated.
The electronic sights CAN and DO fail either to a depleted battery or an electronic problem that kills the sight, no matter how high quality.
I've seen Aimpoint's and EoTech's fail on the range.
In his book, famed Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle described having his battery fail in a fire fight in Iraq, and apparently he had no back up sights on the rifle.

Having a backup iron sight system is insurance to prevent having a firearm you can't aim.
The KS7 set up like the one above that allows keeping the carry handle/sight is a great way to avoid being left in a bad situation.
True enough the shotgun is a "pointing" not necessarily aiming weapon, but if you're loaded with slugs things could be "iffy".

Being old fashioned and working at short ranges for home defense, I prefer the no-fail KS7 carry handle/sights.
These are in no way great precision sights, but are good as a flash sight picture.
Often "Simpler is better" and for me this is such a case.

152 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
BJK Thanks for the kind words but all the credit belongs to dfariswheel. It was his idea/suggestion, I just made it reality. As for the red dot, I’ve found the shake awake feature is not functioning. I’m making arrangements with the mfg. to get a replacement. That sucks. But I’m just not (can’t) gonna spend even $200-600 for a sight. This one was just under $100. I understand where you’re coming from about skimping on sights. Especially in a combat situation. But I got bills to pay too! Plus I’m saving for an AR pistol! So I gotta compromise best I can. It’s better than the $39 red dot! (Which is for sale if anyone wants it) Or I’ll keep it for a spare I’m sure it’ll come in handy someday.

152 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Dfariswheel, yes the rail has a trough so the factory sight is still easily visible looking straight through the rail and can be used as a backup. Also the green laser is dialed in as well. So a bit of redundancy there. it’s unlikely two electronic sight devices would fail at the same time.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Thanks for the kind words but all the credit belongs to dfariswheel. It was his idea/suggestion, I just made it reality. As for the red dot, I’ve found the shake awake feature is not functioning. I’m making arrangements with the mfg. to get a replacement. That sucks. But I’m just not (can’t) gonna spend even $200-600 for a sight. This one was just under $100. I understand where you’re coming from about skimping on sights. But I got bills to pay too! Plus I’m saving for an AR pistol! So I gotta compromise best I can. It’s better than the $39 red dot! (Which is for sale if anyone wants it. Or I’ll keep it for a spare I’m sure it’ll come in handy someday.
You aren't my buddy come back from the dead are you?

:D I wasn't referring to you about the cost of sights. You did fine. I mentioned my CompM4 but not as a suggestion that that's what it takes. I have potential requirements on the 300BLK where NV might come in handy. My own HD gun wears a much less expensive red dot, but it's enough sight.

Are you certain the shake awake isn't working? If you so much as vibrate it it comes on instantly. It's a very difficult feature to test, or at least I think it is. It takes the patience of Job, and if you vibrate it even slightly you need to start all over again.

I find that if I'm not in a hurry to buy something I can pretty much get a discount on commonly purchased items. The 'net is our friend here. I almost never pay full price unless it's something special in some way. For those special items I just bite the bullet and pay full price, they'll never be available at a sale price.

152 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Yes the sight will only come on if I press the + or - buttons. Sucks that I have to deal with the mfg. in China. But I got it really fast, Only 3 days from China! I haven’t tried the auto shut off, it’s supposed to shut off after an hour of no movement. I’m stingy with batteries lol. It does have a NV compatible dot as well, but for my use I don’t see myself buying a NV Scope any time soon if ever.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Who is the manufacturer?
I got some really good service out of Feyachi and they even are allowing me to choose from a number of their items to test out for free so long as I leave a review. Was thinking about one of their red dot sights.

Yes the sight will only come on if I press the + or - buttons. Sucks that I have to deal with the mfg. in China. But I got it really fast, Only 3 days from China! I haven’t tried the auto shut off, it’s supposed to shut off after an hour of no movement. I’m stingy with batteries lol.

152 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Who is the manufacturer?
I got some really good service out of Feyachi and they even are allowing me to choose from a number of their items to test out for free so long as I leave a review. Was thinking about one of their red dot sights.
That’s cool. I saw some of those on Amazon.
The mfg. of mine is Vector Optics. The model is the SCRD-17 “Wraith“

·
Registered
581 Posts
I just reread that... Vector. I speed read over that the first time and saw Vortex. I know nothing about Vector.

152 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
I think I figured it out. The shake awake only works if you let the the dot shut off automatically. Using stopwatch, I determined auto-shutoff occurs 5 minutes after last motion. Once it does, any movement turns it back on. If you manually turn it on/off using the buttons it won’t shake awake. There are 6 brightness levels plus a dot that’s visible with night vision only, and when sight is activated remembers the last brightness setting. It appears that’s how it works as far as I can tell. So the shake-awake is linked to the auto-shutoff. I guess. Pretty cool. It’s quick-disconnect from the rail and it’s built like a tank. BJK you’re right I do like it. But the proof is in the shooting. It’s supposedly been tested up to .30-06 recoil and holds zero. If it does it’s a great value for the price. We’ll see.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 79 Posts