Mounting a red dot on the carry handle?

Discussion in 'KS7 Bullpup Shotgun' started by [email protected] yahoo.com, Jun 21, 2020.

1. rs_worthington@ yahoo.com

[email protected] yahoo.com Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Anyone done this? I like the carry handle and would rather keep it. I find the existing sight is too low and it’s hard to get my cheek low enough to line the sight up. I can do it, and shoot well, it’s just uncomfortable. I’d like to mount a red dot on the carry handle just forward of the handle section. I need a little higher sight line. The carry handle channel is just a little too narrow for a pickatinny rail. I see some of the red dots have a mount that screws in the bottom. If I take the rail part off I might be able to seat the mount in the channel, and drill holes in the handle to secure the mount from underneath. Has anyone done this?
    (I’m using a light/laser now up front but that will go on the pistol when I get it.) I plan to replace the light/laser with just a light up front, and if it works out, the red dot mounted on that handle. If not, I’ll just leave it alone and get another identical light/laser for the pistol.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  2. rs_worthington@ yahoo.com

Apr 20, 2020
    Y’all probably think I’m crazy- why don’t I just pull the handle and put on a rail? Because I need to get up higher, and the rail would make it lower. Even the ones with a riser. Ok, yeah, I might be crazy. But I like what I like, I’m just trying to tune it and refine it to my comfort. If not, it’s fine like it is.

3. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    I agree that you should make it right for you. I do that myself and the heck with what others think.

You know you can different height risers? They even make them so that they'll stack. I'd measure the height of the handle and figure what you need for a riser off the rail to duplicate that if you think that will work. At least that will give you working knowledge and another possibility to ponder.

4. rs_worthington@ yahoo.com

Apr 20, 2020
    thanks man

5. dfariswheel

dfariswheel Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Some possible options if you want to retain the carry handle.....

I don't have an older AR-15 with the original type carry handle upper receiver, but it's "possible" an original AR-15 type carry handle scope mount might fit the KS7 carry handle trough.

It would not be a huge job to make a filler from aluminum or an engineering grade plastic to fit into the trough and secure it with a couple of bolts.
    Then a rail section could be mounted to the filler.
    This would be a reletively easy job for someone handy with a file.
    All that would be needed it to buy some high grade plastic square bar and file the sides to an angle to fit the groove in the KS7 handle.
    Drill a couple of holes so it could be bolted into the handle with the bolts also passing through a rail section to secure both pieces into the handle.
    Then mount whatever optic you want.
    Brownell's sell sections of pickatinny rail and you can buy engineering grade plastics from companies like McMaster-Car.

Another option is that the if you look at the rear of the carry handle behind the M-Loc slots, it's pos sible another slot could be cut in the handle for an M-Loc mount and you could install a rail section toward the rear of the handle.
    Simply, you'd mount the sight on the side of the handle, or a bridge mount could be made that would fit over the handle so the sight would be centered.

All these are options that could be do-able with a little work to make a mount.

You must have a neck like a rubber band.... No matter how I smash my face down on the receiver I can't get anything like the sight picture in the Kel-Tec owner's manual.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  6. rs_worthington@ yahoo.com

Apr 20, 2020
    Thank you. Pretty much what I was thinking but you clarified it. Appreciate it.

7. WolfWings

WolfWings Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Kansas City
    Yeah, while I'd love to see a DHD tool build to clamp into the carry-handle, it could cost as much as just replacing things with the KT rail and a riser I feel to have something sturdy enough for optics mounting. MAYBE a mount designed to adapt the common pistol-mount to using a pair of the three M-Lok slots at the front (thread bolts straight through, conical spacers on one for rigid alignment), but that would only be helpful to folks that want to mount a small red-dot scout-rifle style, not folks that want one further back or larger.

8. rs_worthington@ yahoo.com

Apr 20, 2020
    I might have found the solution as suggested by dfariswheel, a AR15 carry handle rail mount. Ordering it to try it out- only 10 bucks it looks like it might fit.

FVAL likes this.
  9. dfariswheel

Jul 17, 2017
    Let us know the results please.

FVAL likes this.
  10. FVAL

FVAL Member

May 30, 2020
    I am keeping the carry handle as well. I was thinking I might be able to also install some type of rail on top of the barrel, but curious about the AR-15 possible option.

In the meantime I am trying this setup. Flashlight M-Lok’d to upper right side of rail. Pressure pad to activate the light velcroed to upper part of the pump handle next to the KelTec insignia and on top of the M-Lol slots.

Cheapo laser currently installed in the M-Lok side slot above the handle. Makes for easy depressing of the button rather than installing another pressure plate.

upload_2020-6-27_18-23-15.jpeg
    upload_2020-6-27_18-23-39.jpeg

11. rs_worthington@ yahoo.com

Apr 20, 2020
    Why would you want to mount ANYTHING to the moving pump handle? And the wires for the light? Seems easy to get it caught on something in a high stress situation. I’m sorry I just don’t get it.

unodemo likes this.
  12. FVAL

FVAL Member

May 30, 2020
    Wiring for the light is fine. It’s looped through the handle and comes back around to the foregrip. The wire is coiled so that’s the only part that even slightly stretches...no snagging.

My concern with the laser placement is keeping its zero...however, as you have likely seen there are people who have light/laser combos installed there with no issues. We’ll see.

13. rs_worthington@ yahoo.com

Apr 20, 2020
    I still might try a red dot mounted on the carry handle down the road. I was going to transfer the light/laser combo on the KS7 to my new pistol. But for now I just decided to get another identical light/laser combo and have the same model on both. On the KS7 I can reach both laser and light on/off buttons with my pump hand thumb without removing my hand from the pump. Same on the pistol, easy, quick finger reach. It looks clean and works great. Both hold zero. And nothing in the way.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  14. FVAL

FVAL Member

May 30, 2020
    How’s the illumination of the light on that combo? That’s a clean combo but I did want at least 1000 lumens from a light. Way I see it is if accessories like that are made for a picatinny rail on a handgun or an optic mounted on the slide of a pistol...I’m sure attaching something to the slide of a KS7 shotgun can’t be that bad.

15. rs_worthington@ yahoo.com

Apr 20, 2020
    Why 1000 lm? This one is 300 lm and lights up the room! Way more than enough to identify a possible target. And still bright enough to blind the subject. Which IMO is all you need for home defense. It’s a trade-off, trading clutter/bulky-ness for clean/simple operation and a little less brightness. It has a strobe feature as well. And it’s USB rechargeable, no batteries to change out. I like it. Way I see it is, it helps to have the simplest operation possible because that in the end is faster to eliminate a threat. Before the threat eliminates you. Too many doo-dads take more time to operate when split-seconds count! There’s a good article about that in the stickies on this forum. Again, I wouldn’t mount anything on the slide but that’s just me.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    unodemo likes this.
  16. FVAL

FVAL Member

May 30, 2020
    It’s the depth and concentration of the beam that I’m looking for. Operation of the light is located all on the pump and pressure sensitive under my thumb or can easily select always on. I agree with the bulkiness aspect, but I won’t be running through shrubs and bushes; nothing to snag. Presentation of the gun will always remain out in front of me.

17. rs_worthington@ yahoo.com

Apr 20, 2020
    To each it’s own brother. Respect.

FVAL likes this.
  18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2019
    I wouldn't mount a sighting device on a moving pump handle, but I have a light mounted on the forend grip of my 500. Thousands of rounds through it since mounting and zero problems.

19. rs_worthington@ yahoo.com

Apr 20, 2020
    It fits perfect! Per dfariswheel’s suggestion I got a AR carry handle rail and mounted it. It needed a little bigger hole drilled in the handle where the handle mounting screw access hole is. And you can still see the factory fiber sight. It’s a little longer than I would have liked but oh well. And I think the knob is kinda gaudy, I’m probably gonna replace that with a hex head screw and washer to make it a little lower profile. Other that that it’s perfect. Now deciding which red dot to get......... I’m not gonna put a lot of money into one. Thanks for the suggestion worked out well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    BJK likes this.
  20. dfariswheel

Jul 17, 2017
    I would suspect that Kel-Tec used the AR trough shape by intent, not necessarily to allow installing a mount, but simply so they could use the AR carry handle as a pattern to make the mold for the KS7.

In any case, you've given KS7 owners an easy option to mount an optic and still keep the handle.