Most rounded Hollow point

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gatorhugger, Jan 23, 2008.

1. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    I tried the hydra shoks, they are a bit too pointed and have a sharp edge that is tending to get stuck on feed ramp.

I know a lot prefer Corbon, but I don't want anything quite so "hot"

Considering FMJ, but really want a reliable expanding HP, that is more "rounded" than Hydra's, I am in the camp that the round feeding is The most important thing.

Best FEEDING HP's, not most powerful, - Would that be Gold dots or Golden sabers? Anybody have experience with feeding on these two rounds?

2. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Golden Sabers feed fine for me.

Although I'd have to say, you're one of the few people that come on here looking for a LESS hot version of .380 ACP! ;)

3. medphys3

medphys3 New Member

Sep 28, 2007
    I seem to recall that Hornaday makes a nice round JHP. I was using these for the exact purpose you are talking about before I switched to Federal (after reading GoldenLoki's tests).
    Todd

4. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    Haha. I'm not scared of "hot"rounds or anything, I actually consider the little gun a light recoiler compared to my 357 snubbie.

I just think shot placement is more important than hot in a gun this small, I want shots off fast and accurate with not extreme muzzle movement.

I will give the golden sabers a chance. Wish I could find a picture of all the popular rounds lined up so I could compare shapes.

5. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Mine feeds Gold Dot's just fine...in fact its the only HP i've tried so far. I figured since they work, just go with them.

6. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    I'd have to say if it won't feed Hydra-Shocks you have a gun problem, not an ammo problem.

Have you polished the feed ramp?

Use grease on the slide rails?

Does it only hang up when hand feeding rounds, or when actually shooting it?

If only when hand-feeding, it's not a problem, except with your hand-feeding technique.

Really yank the slide back all the way, and let it go.
    Don't ride it down.

rcmodel

7. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    It's new and not broke in yet, only 50 rounds, so I am sure that is causing some stick ups with the Hydras, but those rounds are slightly sharp on the edge, more than I thought when I bought them.

The rounder the better I think even after it gets broke in.

8. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    So are gold dots or Sabers more rounded? Both seem to get excellent review for expansion. I'll pick the most rounded and go with it.
    I tend to go with ammo that works, and rarely change. I was using Federal 9bp's in my 9mm for 20 years, just now went with Federal HST. Too bad they don't make a HST in 380.

So it's going to be Dots or Sabers, whichever had the best shape. Anybody got a picture of both side by side.

9. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    Looks like Federal Classic JHP is almost as round as a FMJ.
    Then it looks like a close tie between golden sabers and Corbon for roundness.

Think I will stick with the Federal classics, they are extremely round, have 69% one stop percentage, lower recoil than the Corbon, well maybe. Any of the three would probably be terrific feeding cartridges.

10. +1 RC... My carry 3AT will eat anything I give it, but I had to do alot of tweaking to get it there. For now, it is DPX only for me, but I do have Gold Dots that run in the gun. At least 2 x per month I run a couple of mags throught he gun, usually WWB, AFTER I shoot the DPX that has been in the pipe, and the one on top of the mag.

11. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    Dpx is bad. Made in Thailand in sweatshops by 9 year olds with powder made with old Russian Tank ammo from the 1950's

Have to stick to Federal. ;)

12. ::)

Mitch... Who has never been to Thailand to see if CorBon has a facility there, and wonders if maybe gatorhugger is related to some tree huggers I know.

According to CorBon Website:

http://www.dakotaammo.net/custserv/contacts.htm#location

CORBON/Glaser is located in the world famous Sturgis, South Dakota. We are just off Interstate 90 at Exit 30.

Physical Address: 1311 Industry Rd, Sturgis, South Dakota, USA 57785

13. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    They SAY they are in South Dakota. If you take South Dakota, that is 11 letters plus one space equals 12 spaces. Thailand has 8 letters. If you take 12 times 2 equals 24. 8 times 3 ALSO equals 24.

Coincidence, I think not!!! Stuff is definitely from Aquara, Thailand.

14. ;D

15. glenspalding

glenspalding New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Golden sabres for me..... ;)

16. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    Golden Sabres does advertise that exact thing in their description, that besides the excellent brass, bullets, expansion, that the shape is tapered in precise areas to assist chambering.
    Very intriguing round, I feel like a newbie, but in all my years I have never shot a golden sabre.
    Gonna have to try a box.

THe only thing slightly in the negative for them may be the rough edges on the jacket scoring. The Federal classics, not the hydra shocks, but the orginal Hi-shoks, are smooth just like a FMJ. I figure everyone polishes their ramp to eliminate friction, rough edges on the jacket would also create friction. I know it's splitting hairs, but it's the reason some folks shoot FMJ, to get the smoothest feed possible. Federal Classic may be a nice compromise.

17. msrdiver1

msrdiver1 New Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Not a single FTL, FTF, nor FTE with the Golden Sabers. Low flash powder is used in them. Thats an added bonus to me.

18. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    i picked up some remmington hollow points at outdoor world...i only shot up a couple of carry mags, all was well...they finda look like the old 'black hills'....gpr

19. msrdiver1

msrdiver1 New Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Low flash powder in golden sabers and no problems with feeding. Good results for expansion, too.

20. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    This is from a test I did a while back on the effect of moisture on 380 ammo. I also studied all the info available regarding effectiveness of various 380 HP, and agree with you that Federal HydraShok is the best choice. Federal is the only one to expand reliably in Gel blocks, and with the desired 12 inch penetration - DPX only goes 9 inches.

Furthermore, Federal is just better made - they are the only commonly available one that seal both primer and bullet against moisture. As a result, they were the only ones to pass my moisture test. Judging by your tag line, that may be handy in your climate  :). See how nice and clean the Corbon round looks? I had 5 like this, and they all went "poof" instead of "bang" when I fired it. All 5 Federal went "bang", with no loss in chronographed velocity - regardless of moisture exposure. If you might get your ammo wet - be aware that the Corbon rounds (of all types) had the most severe loss of power due to moisture out of all the ammo I tested.

I'd also like to recommend the "smiley mod" for anyone who carries hollow point - to not only aid feeding, but also prevent deformation of the hollow point shape. Finally, use a little dry lube under the mag lips and on the feed ramp to give your ammo that extra slippery edge. I never had a FTF once I started doing that.

[​IMG]