Most powerful 380 Full Metal Jacket?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Mohave-Tec, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Most of these things (FMJ) are meant to be target rounds. Is there a weapons favorite for self defense or expectational penetration for our little gun? I'm seeing that Federal American Eagle is consistently making claims across multiple calibers that it is 5 to 20% faster and has a 5 to 20% increase in energy at the muzzle over most of the other FMJ for the 380. Does anybody know of a consistently more powerful FMJ than the average plinking round?

2. kitsap_charly

kitsap_charly New Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Double Tap is what carry. See their web site. :)

3. kitsap_charly

kitsap_charly New Member

Sep 15, 2005
    FMJ is my choice but it's Double Tap's version both for the little Kel-Tec and a Bersa Thunder+(15+1.) Also carry their flatter nosed FMJ in my XD-45c.
    Good stuff!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

4. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Thanks for the response. I have to admit that being new to handguns I was familiar with the Double Tap shooting technique but I didn’t know there was a munitions manufacturer named Double Tap until now. Still, in just plain numbers the Federal American Eagle has a slight edge over the Double Tap but now that you guys mention it, I have heard of Double Tap as a reference for preferred round in our 380 and I’ve never heard anyone mention the Federal America Eagle.
    American Eagle – 980fps 203ft pounds
    Double Tap - 975fps 201ft pounds
    So, my understanding is that people will use FMJ in a 380 because it cannot be relied upon to gather enough of the required momentum to expand a JHP so folks go for penetration as a close second in preference. With this in mind, what makes the Double Tap the defensive round of choice over something like the American Eagle?

5. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Also, where do you purchase Double Tap 380? Is there any of it around right now? Does it really cost $34.95 for 50 rounds as the web site suggests?

6. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
  7. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Thank you rc. I had considered that also. It struck me that if I used an exceptionally hot load in a JHP that i'd 1) get expansion as designed or 2) have more ooomph behind my jhp that just converted itself into a fmj. I've based all of the .380 part of my CCW on this theory and bought the hottest JHP that also had a reputation for feeding jam free in our gun. I've paid the least amount of attention to a rounds reputation for expansion as it happens that both my chosen rounds have a good reputaion for expanding.
    I love new reads as I am new to all this. I've never carried guns before but Las Vegas will make a guy think about defense where he's never given it much thought before. So will failing economies and so will ultra liberal governments.
    I'll read all these theads; I appreciate the links.

8. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Oh. The reason I'm looking for high velosity full metal jackets is because I am an avid back-packer and there are big kittys in reaches above 10,000 feet in our local mountains. I must keep my defense very light weight (or I won't carry/all back-packers are hugely conscience about freight weight) and on more than one occasion I've been told that mountain lions are rather easy to kill and that penitration is more important than expansion in kitty kitty's anotomy.

9. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    OK, I visited these sites. I'd love to see testing on the new Hornaday Critical Defense rounds as I beleive thay are going to prove to be the round of choice for our .380 with penitration and expansion.

10. bh153dc

bh153dc New Member

Also look at Buffalo Bore. Have heard good things about them but I don't have any personal experience. I do have an issue with them calling their round a +p round. SAAMI doesn't list a +P spec for the .380ACP caliber. So take it for what it is worth......

11. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    If you want to shoot kitty kitty (or any other game animal) carry something bigger. No magic bullet exists that will turn a .380 into a .357. The only way to do that is with a calculator.

-Scott

12. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Hmmm. They are selling +P for the .380. I know +P is not recommended for regular use in our slight framed chambers but with one mag set aside for defense, this might have promise. BB is claiming 1100 fps out of the Kel-Tec barrel which tops Double Tap and American Eagle by 120fps. The bullet is showing a rather wide hollow which may be problematic for our gun but it is rounded/not conicle which is something our gun does like. It much resembles the Golden Saber on the business end. I will look deaper into this round. Thank you for the heads up.
    Oh, being this is a FMJ thread I will add that BB is claiming 1019 fps with a flat nosed FMJ version of the +P 380.

13. cactus_jack

cactus_jack New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Based on the ballistics from Buffalo Bore's webpage I think they do have what would be considered +P ballistics if there were a +P rating.

The Buffalo Bore 380 HP round uses a Gold Dot bullet that has proven expansion, even from short barrels and Buffalo Bores loading is traveling at least 120 fps faster than from Speer's loading with the same bullet.

Item 27C/20 is a 90gr. Jacketed Hollow Point bullet (Gold Dot)
    1. BDA-3.75 inch barrel----1218 fps[ch8232]
    2. Walther PPK-3.5 inch barrel-----1200 fps[ch8232]
    3. Colt Mustang Pocket Lite-2.75 inch barrel---1123 fps[ch8232]
    4. Keltec---1100 fps

Item 27A/20 is a 100gr. HARD cast bullet with a flat nose.
    1. BDA-3.75 inch barrel--- 1160 fps[ch8232]
    2. Walther PPK-3.5 inch barrel-----1149 fps[ch8232]
    3. Colt Mustang Pocket Lite-2.75 inch barrel---1072 fps
    [ch8232]4. Keltec---1061 fps

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=129

14. kbizzle

kbizzle New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    i carry the BB 90Gr JHP round and it functions flawlessly in my P3AT.  shoot a mag of it and you'll believe it.  there is a significant difference in recoil and report between the BB round and any other round i've ever tried in the P3.  i find the recoil to be very manageable but it hurts my hand (specifically my trigger finger) to shoot more than a mag or two in the same session.  wheelguy has done some extensive testing of the BB and he's posted his results on the forum.  do a search for posts by wheelguy.

here's one:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1238338909/11#11

you should see the beef ribs test he did too.

kb

15. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    If your P3AT is your only choice and you are worried about the big cats in your area I would try out the Buffalo Bore 100g hardcast round. I think that would be about as good as you will find as long as it shoots well in your weapon.

But as Scott stated you would be better off with a .357 or larger, and a wheelgun if at all possible. A revolver will be better if you need to make a contact shot as it won't be as likely to jam.

CJ

16. tommy51s

tommy51s New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Kansas City
    I don't really like to reveal my own foibles, but I found that shooting BB gold dots makes it ever so important not to limpwrist. The added kick really wants to make the gun pivot in my hand, which for me resulted in some misfeeds. Like I said, it's my problem, not anyone elses, but I thought I'd pass it on.

17. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    what about those santa barbara surplus fmjs that where all the rage awhile back? i thought that was hotter than anything else commercially made for the 380?

18. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    santa barbara is one of the best rounds for the 380. i wish i still had some.

19. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    If you want to shoot kitty kitty (or any other game animal) carry something bigger.  No magic bullet exists that will turn a .380 into a .357.  The only way to do that is with a calculator.

-Scott
    [/quote]
    I absolutely don't want to kill the big cats but I will shoot if I have to. As stated in this original quote, the .380 is it. Works or doesn't work. I can put my 380 in my pocket. I can't think of a way I can rock climb with a holstered 40 caliber. The 380 is it so I just want to give it the most wallup it can have and let the chicks fall where they may after that. Unless I get hung up on a trail between mama and the little ones, I fully expect a round in the air will be the guns main function in warding off any cat.

20. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Yes cactus. I think these are some viable points but now I'm scepticle as to whether we could keep the frog from jumping out of our hands after sending off rounds like these.
    I difinitely going to look more closely into this round.