Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This morning I noticed on CDNN's site that they are offering Asian made FAL 20-round magazines. Anyone heard of these before? I'm using some later DSA 20-rounders with no issue, but magazine heartburn and availability has been a topic of some interest on the site for some time. It seems function or fail has been all over the board on some magazine choices for our RFB.

I'm not promoting these Asian mags, as I know nothing about them...just asking for any experience with them. CDNN is in my city, and I know the owner and some employees. I'm told these are Korean military sourced...not Chinese or elsewhere. I've learned not to always turn my nose up at the category of "Asian made". Being a motorcycle and bicycle enthusiast and working as a part time mechanic in both venues to pay for my bad habits, I've learned that there's some very decent quality in many Asian produced items...along with an equal amount of junk. For $9.99 I may try one out for grins.

On a side note, I ordered one of those Moses FAL mags to test for modification in my GenII RFB. Supposedly these will function just fine once the proper polymer rib or two are dremeled/ground down. The Moses mag is apparently one of the best FAL mags produced as far as durability and function, so I'll see how a modded one will function in my gun. Hopefully it will be here before the weekend.

Here's a link to the CDNN Asian mags:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/just-in/fn-fal-metric-308-20rd-steel-asian-military-mag.html

Edit: While doing as much research as I can on the internet about modifying Moses mags for the RFB, I ran across some very old...2011-2012...posts about problematic Korean FAL mags. So...I have no idea if these CDNN Korean mags are the same Korean problem mags of 5-6 years ago...so...who knows.

Heck...even the DSA FAL mags have at least 3 different variations to them that I've identified, so who knows.

I've only been able to find one post that gave any detail on the specific location on the Moses mags that needed modification to work in an RFB. It was fairly descriptive, but if anyone else has other sources describing this modification in some detail, please provide them. The only one I found was in the FAL Files forum provided by an RFB owner.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting to see how they work out. I still haven't received that Moses mag, but I knew it would be a bit before they were available again...sometime this month.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Bought Serial# 132 when they first hit the market. Picked up 2 Sealed (10) packs of metric Belgium FAL mags worried about future availability. Glad I did. Looking to pick up a later gen hunter version. Should the mags run flawless in the new unit as in the first gen I have?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Bought Serial# 132 when they first hit the market. Picked up 2 Sealed (10) packs of metric Belgium FAL mags worried about future availability. Glad I did. Looking to pick up a later gen hunter version. Should the mags run flawless in the new unit as in the first gen I have?
Hi LILGUY ! :)

You can bet the farm that those FN FAL Metric Magazines will work absolutely perfectly in that new RFB 24 Hunter that you will be purchasing ! :) I own a RFB 24 Hunter ( purchased back in early 2015 ) , use only FN FAL Metric Magazines ( in my case all of mine are older West German Paratrooper Aluminum FN FAL Metric 20 Round Magazines ) , have put through the gun over 3,500 rounds of ammunition , and have NEVER had a failure or a problem with the gun , or the magazines . :) I will take a FN FAL Metric Magazine ( either Aluminum or Steel ) ANY Day over a " Plastic " magazine ! :cool: Just ask your self the question : " How much do you value Your Life , and what is YOUR Life Worth to You ? " That should end any doubt about what magazine to use ! :cool: REMEMBER : those FN FAL Metric Magazines were designed for COMBAT and WAR , to be Used by Combat Troops in War . They are/were built tough to handle Heavy usage in the worst of battlefield conditions .:cool: Enough said .:cool:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Got my cdnn mags in, they are pretty much the worse magazines I've ever used. The first three rounds generally jam the mag, once you get the rest of the rounds in it will function ok until it gets to the last 3 then it will jam, destroying the round.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got my cdnn mags in, they are pretty much the worse magazines I've ever used. The first three rounds generally jam the mag, once you get the rest of the rounds in it will function ok until it gets to the last 3 then it will jam, destroying the round.
Well, sounds like the same ol' problematic mags I saw in threads from '11-'12. At least they were cheap. I'm still waiting on the Moses mag.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
You can bet the farm that those FN FAL Metric Magazines will work absolutely perfectly in that new RFB 24 Hunter that you will be purchasing ! :) ... REMEMBER : those FN FAL Metric Magazines were designed for COMBAT and WAR , to be Used by Combat Troops in War . They are/were built tough to handle Heavy usage in the worst of battlefield conditions .:cool: Enough said .:cool:
True that!
Best one I have is Israeli military surplus.
They have to be "battle-ready" certified because they know people will have to bet their lives on them.
Probably cost me a fraction of what the Israeli government originally spent on them:rolleyes:.
If you shoot the RFB very much, you'll find that you don't really need 10 mags (unlike pistol caliber guns).
Shoot 3 mags full and you'll be welcoming a break to stuff mags, trust me:rolleyes:.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why not order a few metal military FAL metric mags off the net? They'll outlast a bushel basket full of plastic wannabes.
Well, I won't need a bushel basket of RFB FAL mags. I just want a few totally reliable mags. I have bushels of AR15 mags, as I have 7 AR15's, a NATO AUG, and a Tavor. I just don't need that many RFB mags.

As far as metal military FAL mags, do you have a good source? All of them I've seen are used and relatively expensive. On the plastic issue, I don't consider all plastic mags the same. Magpuls are actually very good and have even been integrated into the U.S. military. The Moses mag I refer to is supposed to be equal or better than the Magpul.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just watched GB and started biding on 2 sealed 10 packs of 1963 Belgium NATO metric mags. Paid 700.00 for the pair. Had paid 1950.00 for early run the RFB. Figured better grab mags when they come up for sale.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just watched GB and started biding on 2 sealed 10 packs of 1963 Belgium NATO metric mags. Paid 700.00 for the pair. Had paid 1950.00 for early run the RFB. Figured better grab mags when they come up for sale.
Yeah, the $35 per mag isn't horrendous, but did it require you to buy the whole $700 worth at the time? I have no heartburn with metal mags...or plastic mags. My DSA FAL mags seem to be from a run that work great...but it doesn't seem to be the norm. If this Moses mag deal works out without too much necessary modification, I think this will be my go-to mag. Remains to be seen, however. Glad you got some good mags there. I just think there should be a magazine that you can buy by one or more as the need arises...and that function reliably.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have modified 1 moses mag for my RFB. I have two others that I will modify but I'm changing my method for a cleaner end result. The one I modified has worked flawlessly so far. Stand by for pics.
There you go...just what I was wanting to hear. I had only found one mention of this on the net, and it didn't have pictures. Between the written description and self-analysis I felt I'd figure it out. Apparently you learned some from your first effort, and I'm looking forward to your report. My mag still hasn't arrived. I made contact with him, and it is coming shortly, but I know he's a small operation and not usually fast...not that I mind.

Everything I see and read about them indicates super high quality and ruggedness. I assume that is your experience too?

·
Registered
59 Posts
There you go...just what I was wanting to hear. I had only found one mention of this on the net, and it didn't have pictures. Between the written description and self-analysis I felt I'd figure it out. Apparently you learned some from your first effort, and I'm looking forward to your report. My mag still hasn't arrived. I made contact with him, and it is coming shortly, but I know he's a small operation and not usually fast...not that I mind.

Everything I see and read about them indicates super high quality and ruggedness. I assume that is your experience too?
I found the same initial info you did and it wasn't much. I believe I did find a pic or two but their description did make a few things as clear as mud. Hopefully I can clear up some confusion. Due to variance of mags and guns, what works in my gun may not work in yours.

Before we get into the meat and potatoes, I want to touch on quality. I believe these mags to be of very good quality. The overall material and construction quality bodes well for longevity. I don't believe the material removed to fit these to the RFB will affect the structural integrity in normal use. That said, time will tell. I compared them directly to a Magpul SR25 20rd 308 mag and find them to be close in quality to the Magpul. Magpul takes the edge in fit and finish. Mostly due to mold flashing and especially in the feedlip and follower department. Those differences may be subjective.

I used a dremel with a sanding drum to remove most of the material. I accidentally cut a hair too deep in a few spots so next time I will take the extra time and use an end mill with a depth stop. The finishing was done with flat metal files. I used a larger file to finish cutting the ribs down to level and then I used a needle file for detail work. For my rifle, I had to bevel the vertical rib on both sides of the mag to gain a little extra clearance. The mag bodies are also thick enough that a mold flashing line had to be filed down on the right side of the mag near the top rear. Even so, the mags fit tight enough that they do not drop free. I then used some cleaning/polishing scotchbrite pads with some oil to blend the modified area as best as I could.

Overall it is an easy job and I do like the mags even with the needed mods. If you have any questions please ask. On to the pics.

Completed mag in rifle

Closeup of completed mag in rifle

Color match of FDE mag

Modified mags compared to unmodified

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.