More info needed

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Sarge47, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Sarge47

Sarge47 New Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Yo Troops,
    Back in 97 when I first got my CHL I joined this list because I was considering a P-32 for concealed carry. After reading the list for a few weeks it became obvious that a Kel Tec wasn't for me. Why? Because I am not a gunsmith and it seemed the KTs were full of problems. I didn't need to send a new gun that I paid hard earned money for back to the factory for fixes. Nor did I want to do something called " fluff and buff "like a gunsmith would.
    So, has anything changed? Can I now depend on a KT in a life threatening situation? I'm only interested in a .380.
    Thank You for your help.
    Sarge

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    The vast majority of weapons sold by KT are fine out of the box (after being cleaned and lubed). Most of the ones that have problems can be worked through with a decent break in. A few have to be worked on or sent back.

Given the very edgy weight/power ratio of these weapons any tiny little problem (that would not affect the operation of a BIG gun) is going to affect their operation. It is the same with EVERY other similarly sized pistol even if you spend $1000 plus on it.

Even the smallest glocks available here, the G26 and G27, are subject to limp wristing like our baby KTs are.

If you are not wlling to train yourself and be ready to do some fine tuning then you might get a GREAT one and be okay but you might not. I guess you would have to decide if they are for you. I generally tell friends/family that if they are not willing to work at making it right then they need to by a bigger, easier to function pistol or a revolver.

-Scott

3. Cremator

Cremator New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    +1, but mine has been good out of the box.

4. AZflyguy

AZflyguy New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Has anything changed? Sure, the early bugs been have worked out, those that are not related to normal break in. You should still expect to put about 200 rds. down range to verify in your own mind that the pistol is ready to go. At 100 rds. I was tempted to call my P11 good to go, though I doubled that to be absolutely sure. I have 55 rds through my new P32, and I'm tempted to call it good to go, though I know I should hold off a couple more boxes.
    Keep in mind, all of the ultra-light pistols are on the cutting edge of performance; even pistols that cost twice the price (e.g.,kahr), require about 200 rds for break-in.