More holster questions.....

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Cascadedad, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Cascadedad

Cascadedad New Member

May 28, 2008
    I am currently carrying my P-3AT in a DeSantis Nemesis. It prints more than I would like in the jeans I wear. Not that anyone would make out what it is, but I would just like a little less print. I am considering one of the following two.

http://www.pocketholsters.com/Kel-Tec_Pocket_Wallet_Holster/kel-tec_pocket_wallet_holster.html

http://armory.jsholsters.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=2058

I have a couple questions. Most of what I have read seems to imply that the anti-print panel is for rear pocket carry. I want to have the anti-print panel for front pocket carry, does that present any problems?

Of the two holsters shown, which is your preference for ""anti-print, front pocket carry""?? Also, please list other suggestions if you have any.

Thanks!

2. keninaz

keninaz New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    I found with the DeSantis Nemesis that putting a bendable piece of softer leather in front of it seemed to work well with blue jeans.
    We will see how the new one works out.
    If it does not I may just sew some leather to the Nemesis.

3. Cascadedad

Cascadedad New Member

May 28, 2008
    I have been putting a folded up handkerchief over the lower flap of the Nemesis. It works, but I would rather not do it.

4. Cremator

Cremator New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    My buddy uses the PH436 FRONT POCKET HORSEHIDE HOLSTER from Galco. I always have to look hard to see if he is packing.

[​IMG]

5. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I made my own panel to cover a pocket holster that printed too much once. I cut a square out of one of my old 5 Star notebooks that was just the right size and trimmed the corners until they were round. This particular holster was originally designed to be an IWT type so I removed the clip and cut the plastic so it would slip up into the hole where the clip used to be. This held the plastic in place and it worked pretty well. One member here did the same thing with the side of a plastic powder jug and it worked too. Now I carry my P3at in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster (size 2 I think) and it never prints to the point where anyone would notice. If this is your first pocket holster then it's natural for you to feel like everybody can see your gun. The paranoia will go away after a little while.

6. Poppers_2-4

Poppers_2-4 New Member

Jan 4, 2008
  7. norton

norton New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    What works for one will not work for another, at least of a different body type.
    Per my built in critic and the kids mother, I maybe an a**, but I don't have one.
    What I do have is "chicken legs" and a sagging jeans. I usually wear out the butt of my jeans because I'm boney. What ever I put in my pocket has too much room and tends to fall away from me.
    I tried a few borrowed pocket holsters, they moved around, became twisted & uncormfortable. I do carry my wallet in my left front pocket so I began tucking
    P3 in behind it sans holster. This is not ideal because I'm right handed. Flops around when walking and in the 90 degree heat it's sticky.
    Also, bad for car. Now when I'm in the car the P3 goes to the center counsel.
    Pants are not made for me (men's petite?). I found that a IWB is the best solution me.
    I have a pair of cargo shorts which has a mesh and lined pocket which works
    really well.
    There is point to this rambling & that is consider your body type and clothing
    before making a choice.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Norton

8. Cascadedad

Cascadedad New Member

May 28, 2008
    HEY, somebody please pass Norton some pizza and beer!!!!! ;D

9. mr_surveyor

mr_surveyor New Member

May 24, 2008
    if your pockets are too large for the holstered gun, put the gun and holster in the pocket (without you being in the pants ::)) and whip a few stitches in the pocket around the holster to custom fit it!

surv

10. theheater905

theheater905 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I carry mine in a Galco Front Pocket Holster as well as a friend of mine. It hides well, no printing, no problems. Cremator posted a good picture of it.

11. Cascadedad

Cascadedad New Member

May 28, 2008
    Thanks for all the input. I will try to find one of the Galcos locally to look at.

Not any input on the original 2 holsters that I asked about. Does anyone use them? Carry with them in the front pocket with the anti-print panel?

12. keninaz

keninaz New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Take a look at my post pix of the DeSantis Super Fly. I just got mine today and it works well.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1213297307

And I was going to order that first holster you mentioned but I heard from some others here that it's hard to get the gun out and sometimes it brings the wallet holster with it.

13. Warty

Warty Banned

Dec 11, 2007
    TH, IN
    That is my problem with that type of holster, I can't figure the draw out.  I always pull the whole thing out with the gun.  In fact, the one in the link is the one I tried and I watched that little video over and over to figure out what I was doing wrong too.  Here is what I figured out as far as what I do wrong, I am just plain too clumsy to be able to make it happen.  :-[ What can a fella do?  If you can't you can't.  I like the idea though, I just can't make it happen for myself.

Personally, I use a PCS Redoubt because I like to have an extra magazine with me.  I'm funny like that I guess.  :-?

Previous to that I was using a Galco Horsehide pocket holster like the others do but I didn't like the need for a separate magazine holster taking up another pocket so I switched.  First I tried a DeSantis "Sting" but I thought the holster was so poorly cut and so poorly fit the gun that I sent it back for a different one.  They sent a new one and it was the same, so I guess it is designed that way.  

So I contacted PCS and when I got the Redoubt the difference was like night and day.  Mike actually cuts the holster to fit the specific gun and magazine instead of just sewing two pieces of leather that are cut to shape together.  His holsters are hand made, to order.  Guess what, they don't cost much more either.  I thought it was a no brianer myself.

http://pcsholsters.com/main.html

HBE Specialty Leatherworks is another place that really makes a great holster and Eric will make what you want when you want it.  It comes direct to you and it is made well and usually fairly quick to boot.  He makes a larger range of products and is a little more flexible when you have some design ideas of your own.  :cool:  I have been going to him a lot more lately with my work.  The stuff he does with "Exotics" is truly a work of art.  :eek:

http://www.hbeleatherworks.com/

14. keninaz

keninaz New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Also take a look at my other post. I just posted Pix of both holsters in the same pants with the P3AT.
    It does make a difference.

15. KD_Holsters

KD_Holsters New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Cascadedad:

The ability to carry the Guru holster in your front pocket with the anti-print panel on it will depend primarily on the size of your pocket. I've used similar styles of holster in my front pocket, with the anti-print panel attached, and not had an issue.

JSHolsters has built his reputation on the simplicity, yet functional, design of his holsters. He started offering the kydex styles a couple of years ago.

PCS Holsters has a stellar reputation for design and function in his holsters. He's often been referred to as the protege of Lou Alessi.

HBE Leatherworks - would strongly suggest doing a google search.

16. Cascadedad

Cascadedad New Member

May 28, 2008
    Thanks for all the input!!!!!!  It's great to hear everyone's personal experience.

Done.   ;)

17. Warty

Warty Banned

Dec 11, 2007
    TH, IN
    I think when you do the Google search you should make sure you read all of the responses as well.

Unless YOU have dealt with Eric personally, and I have, I find it odd that a person would smear a name.

Eric not only quoted me a great price, he produced a very nice belt, ammo carrier and holster for me.
    PLUS, it was delivered right on time.

If you read all of the responses, you will find that the problems are fewer than the folks stepping in and saying that Eric is a good guy and will make it right.

He did me right, without a lot of hoopla to boot. All humans make mistakes at times, except one and He was crucified 2000+ years ago for our sins.

Maranatha!

18. Cascadedad

Cascadedad New Member

May 28, 2008
    Warty, I really don't know what you are talking about. It was suggested that I do a search and I did. How do you know which ones I read and which ones I didn't read???

No one in this thread has "smeared" Eric. Thanks for your input, I will take it into consideration when making my decision in the future.

19. Cascadedad

Cascadedad New Member

May 28, 2008
    Warty, The HBE website is down. Do you know if this is a temporary thing?

20. KD_Holsters

KD_Holsters New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Cascadedad:

He was referring to me.  

For the record, I was not smearing Mr. Larsen's name.  One only has to do some amount of research to get a full picture of the business practices and ethics employed by Mr. Larsen.

And before you go off on me by saying I do not have a dog in the fight or have dealt with him personally, let me give you a little insight.  Everything that Mr. Larsen does with respect to his business reflects on every other holster maker involved in this industry.  I have personally reaped the ire of his prior customers when they get to me for a holster.  He, without a doubt, has smeared the custom holster industry on his own.  There are pages and pages of examples of this.  He's been forced to tow the line for the moment because he realizes that if he does not do that, there is a very real possibility that he will face some serious criminal prosecution.  

You, Warty, just happen to be fortunate enough to have come along at this moment to reap benefit from the toil of others.  You are most welcome to post of your individual experience(s) with him, but there are literally hundreds of others who contradict that.  So my suggestion to you, Warty, is to limit your comments to your own personal experiences with Mr. Larsen and not tread on territory that may be unfamiliar to you.