Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a nice sub 9. I bought the red lion forend. I was prepared to put it on but stopped, paused, and wondered if I should keep it as is.....or should I modify it and have fun. Is it worth keeping a sub9 in the box as more of a stock collectors item?

I'm on the fence.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
So I have a nice sub 9. I bought the red lion forend. I was prepared to put it on but stopped, paused, and wondered if I should keep it as is.....or should I modify it and have fun. Is it worth keeping a sub9 in the box as more of a stock collectors item?

I'm on the fence.
Is it an original Sub9 with a metal receiver, or a Sub2K in 9MM with a polymer receiver?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Shoot it , enjoy it . If you don't use them then they're just a pile of parts that you paid to much for. I've shot and enjoyed some of my guns that collectors would cry over. I recently bought a early 60s Sako vixen deluxe from the estate of a gentleman that was new in the box. He never got to enjoy it but I sure have. It shoots sub minute of angle groups with factory ammo!

·
Registered
861 Posts
A rare variant of any gun of any manufacturer has the potential to become collectable or valuable. It's up to you. Me personally I couldn't modify a rare variant. Shoot it occasionally perhaps,modify...... no way. If I just had to make an "improved" version I would get a used model that had not been given enough love, cosmetically challenged. If money is a problem I would be surprised if you couldn't sale the rare metal sub and get enough money to buy a new gen 2, make it a completely unrecognizable Frankenstein gun and still have money left over.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
A rare variant of any gun of any manufacturer has the potential to become collectable or valuable. It's up to you. Me personally I couldn't modify a rare variant. Shoot it occasionally perhaps,modify...... no way. If I just had to make an "improved" version I would get a used model that had not been given enough love, cosmetically challenged. If money is a problem I would be surprised if you couldn't sale the rare metal sub and get enough money to buy a new gen 2, make it a completely unrecognizable Frankenstein gun and still have money left over.
True, he could sell the old sub, and get enough to buy a new gen 2. But the red lion is not a permanent modification. Should one desire to return it to stock, simply remove the aftermarket items, and re-install the factory components.
And I agree Keltec guns are not very collectable, except in extremely small circles.
(Why are ya'll staring at me?)
:confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all the feedback. It is the metal receiver sub 9 in excellent condition. I have a gen 1 sub2k as well and have put the red lion forend on that which involved removing the front sight with a heat gun. I'm hesitant to do that to the sub9.

·
Registered
861 Posts
http://www.lionseek.com/guns/brand/kel-tec/used-keltec-sub-9-origina-668087

The only other listing I found was over 5 years ago.....$500. It sold quickly.
Your gun you decide....when I was in high school a kid modified a ford gt 350 to accept the taller wider tires that all the cool kids had on their street sleds. I wonder what he thinks now:rolleyes: Granted way different league but same concept, modifying a rare variant. I doubt you'd put your grandchildren through college with it but you would nonetheless regret it IMHO

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Thank you for all the feedback. It is the metal receiver sub 9 in excellent condition. I have a gen 1 sub2k as well and have put the red lion forend on that which involved removing the front sight with a heat gun. I'm hesitant to do that to the sub9.
Somewhere in th FAQ, or stickie? Section is a detailed takedown/disassembly of the sub-9 front sight. It can be removed/reinstalled with no modification to the firearm.
Just do it. Red Lion probably has a full tutorial also...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.