Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, first post here with my RDB! I really love this gun but it has plenty room for improvements. There's not a lot of aftermarket upgrades out there so I figured that surgery by dremeling and wrong colored paint job is the solution. Pardon my questionable gunsmithing work. Not much of a writer so I'll let the pictures do the talking.

- Lucky Irishman Rhino rail
- Shortened/angle in the buttstock for shorter length of pull
- Removed the original sling loops and installed QD mounts
- Made an extended bolt catch release behind the magazine

Planned modifications whenever in the future:
- Extended Top Pic Rail, sights are too far away (anyone got info on this?)
- Some sort of flip up hinged cover or AK-like dust cover for chamber checks and clearing malfunctions (Hello Receiver, prepare for my dremel.)

IMG_20200908_025411.jpg IMG_20200908_025421.jpg IMG_20200908_025434.jpg IMG_20200908_031527.jpg IMG_20200908_205811.jpg IMG_20200908_205837.jpg IMG_20200908_205849.jpg IMG_20200908_205859.jpg IMG_20200908_210700.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Mad skills! What a great idea!
do a video of it working.

Do I see a bent left side sear bar arm? Do you have one of those tat you cant insert a mag on a decocked hammer? I was wondering if it was just a C&S thing?

Reactions: dazed

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
What brand and model of grip sleeve is that?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nicely done. The bolt release that's on Tavor and MDR. I wonder why KT didn't use this proven way to design their bolt release on RDB. I personally think the location of bolt release makes more sense there and hopefully on future versions of RDB we can see some update there.
Do I see a bent left side sear bar arm?
Hey I see it too. but last time when I tested this the regular RDB didn't have much trouble accepting a magazine when hammer is forward.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm gonna follow this project with great interest since I'm considering doing something similar to my RDB when I get it.

Have you considered using a sliding cover instead of a hinging dust cover like an ak, maybe something akin to a br18 would be better suited cause it would allow you to check the chamber without ruining your cheek weld.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mad skills! What a great idea!
do a video of it working.

Do I see a bent left side sear bar arm? Do you have one of those tat you cant insert a mag on a decocked hammer? I was wondering if it was just a C&S thing?
Not entirely sure but I have no issues with inserting mags with the hammer foward.

What brand and model of grip sleeve is that?
Hogue Hunter Grip for Glock 19. Got it for like $12 ish on Amazon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You've got some balls, sir. Nice look you've got going on.
Look forward to seeing how you achieve the chamber check, but I worry about the safety of that...
Thanks for the compliments. I'm just a short scrawny dude weighing a whole buck soaking wet so balls is the only thing I've got lol!

I am also curious about that as well. The AK's chamber and action are literally inches in front of the user's face and the only protection is a thin piece of sheet metal. There's only one way to find out but...

he dies he dies.gif

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm gonna follow this project with great interest since I'm considering doing something similar to my RDB when I get it.

Have you considered using a sliding cover instead of a hinging dust cover like an ak, maybe something akin to a br18 would be better suited cause it would allow you to check the chamber without ruining your cheek weld.
Never heard of that gun but that's an interesting idea and I'll play around with it.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
I suggest anything larger than small peep holes may compromise the receiver.
And then it may be too dark to see anything.

Reactions: dazed

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am also curious about that as well. The AK's chamber and action are literally inches in front of the user's face and the only protection is a thin piece of sheet metal. There's only one way to find out but...
Those few inches makes a big difference in the case of a catastrophic failure. There's a reason the top of the receiver is reinforced on the RDB. Cutting away that area to view the chamber is not a good idea. Whatever modification you make would need to include the same reinforcement, and that would add bulk.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Those few inches makes a big difference in the case of a catastrophic failure. There's a reason the top of the receiver is reinforced on the RDB. Cutting away that area to view the chamber is not a good idea. Whatever modification you make would need to include the same reinforcement, and that would add bulk.
Yeah, completely redoing the upper receiver might be a better ideal than just dremelling into it. IDK about the legality of just making a new upper receiver for a gun, but redoing the upper receiver might be a better idea than just cutting into it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts