modifications and warranty?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by kayak15, Nov 29, 2007.

1. kayak15

kayak15 New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Hello all,
    I am new to this forum, but I have read a lot of it so far. What a great place! I'm really glad to have found it. I will soon be purchasing my first P 3AT and I already know a lot of what to expect thanks to you all.
    For my first question ( I'm sure to have many more!) I am wondering about the effect on the warranty when you start doing things like grinding off part of the trigger, or other parts. It sounds like they have a super warranty program, but I'm sure there must be some limits, right?
    One more while I'm at it. I was calliing around checkiing some prices and I was surprised to be told that they cme in colors. I don't know much about them, but they mentioned blue, black, and green. Anyone know where I could see them on the web in color?
    Thanks is advance-

My name is Scott, but since there actuallly is a knowledgeable Scott on the forum already, I'll try to rember to sign as "Scott, the other one".

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Welcome Scott, and there is plenty of room for another as you have to combine how you sign your post along with your thread login. There are several Scott's around here and we each can contribute what we can so don't fret about it. Besides, say smart stuff and there won't be any confusion ;)

Do some searching over the last couple pages of posts in each thread and you will see each of the colors. There is a recent thread in the P11 area on the green grip babies. And there was one here recently on the blue grip babies. And pics of the black are very easy to come across. Finally, there was a thread recently in the Trading Post that showed the grey grip baby.

-Scott

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Oh ya, warranty work. As long as your modification does not cause the need for warranty work don't fret it; that's Federal Law. If you "grind" on your trigger and it breaks, well, I wouldn't expect warranty work.

And most of what you are seeing here is not necessarily "modification" as much as "cleaning up" what was already there. When you see stuff on the trigger of the P3AT it is mostly sanding off sharp edges of the molding, or extra flash where it came out of the mold. If you really look at it, stuff that probably should have been done at the factory in a final finishing but isn't available at the low cost and high numbers these guys are produced at.

-Scott

4. kayak15

kayak15 New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Thanks for the warm welcome and the answers to my questioons. I'll look for the photo's and try to keep grinding to a minimum.

Thanks.

Scott, the other one

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    We are talking "polishing" - not "grinding". ;)

6. Colors? A picture post call?

From the top down:
    Gray Grip with CCR Satin Stainless Finish
    Navy Blue with Hard Chrome
    Standard KT Black On Black

[​IMG]

Dang....nothing in green.  Do I need another one?

As already noted, Nothing in the fluff and buff is really changing the basic stucture of the gun, it is primarily an accelerated break in. You may notice the trigger on the black one is shorter than the other two.  That trigger has been clipped and sanded down a bit.  I have never heard any reports of KT not honoring a warranty for any of this stuff.  I have metal mag catches on all of mine.  If I ever need to send one home I will swap that part out before sending it in.

Oh yeah, almost forgot:

Welcome aboard Scott!  (not you Scott... the other one.)   ;D

7. kimberbp22

kimberbp22 Banned

Nov 9, 2007
    I had KT deny me warranty work on my 1st gen P3AT because I did the "smiley mod" on the feedramp. The ****er was what I needed fixed had nothing to do with the barrel. ::)

8. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Kel-Tec will continue to warranty the unaltered parts. Grind away on that trigger if you like, P-3AT polymer triggers only cost $1 if you mess-up. As for colors, don’t limit yourself or your SO :)
    [​IMG]
    Wilson – who’s been known to change triggers more frequently than underwear :eek:

9. kimberbp22

kimberbp22 Banned

Nov 9, 2007
    No Wilson, that's not always true. I had the old "walking pin" problem on my 1st gen P3AT eons ago. The frame had been battered to the point that the assembly pin hole had enlarged. I explained this to KT, but they just sent my pistol back and never responded to my emails and just said over the phone that since I'd performed an "unauthorized modification", it was no longer under warranty. Really sucked because the barrel had NOTHING to do with the walking assembly pin problem. Those early P3ATs really were nightmares. And, no Wilson, you can't have it for $100 because it was traded off long ago. 2nd gens are MUCH better. :)

So, people beware when you see people post some serious modifications beyond polishing and smoothing. I won't name names, but someone's bound to get in trouble some time.

10. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Then permit me to rephrase, Kel-Tec will continue to warranty the unaltered parts on Wilson’s pistols :)

Sorry to hear this service is reserved for Kel-Tec God Members. You have likely see my $100 (extra mag not included) First-Generation P-3AT which had a few minor parts replaced under warranty :)
    [​IMG]
    Wilson – who’s very :-[

11. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I'm really sorry to hear this, especially since it is a direct violation of Federal Law and maybe, with a little bit of help, this "situation" could have been overcome. Totally a bummer and it sure doesn't sound like situation norm for KT, luckily for most of us.

-Scott

12. Plex

Plex New Member

Feb 23, 2005
    I don't agree with that statement.  I have a 1G P3AT that has been relatively flawless.  I think I bought it after the feed ramp modifications by Keltec.  In my opinion, the 1G has better lines, and seems more ergonomic.

I will make this standing offer: I will give $150 for any 1G, no questions asked.

--Plex

13. kimberbp22

kimberbp22 Banned

Nov 9, 2007
    Sorry, don't have it anymore. I don't remember KT doing any factory smiley feed ramp changes on the 1st gen pistols. It was incorporated with the release of the 2nd gens...

14. Plex

Plex New Member

Feb 23, 2005
    There were several itterations of ramps on the 1G if I remember correctly.  Shorter, longer, fatter, less incline ...  They may have settled on a particular one when the 2G was introduced.  

Again, if my memory serves me, most of the 2G "look" changes came about because of the change in steel supply and the blanks they were able to procure.

Once again, in my opinion, the lines and smoother "less blocky" look of the 1G is better that the "Frankenbolt" endowed 2G.

--Plex

15. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    I managed to acquire one Second-Generation barrel that has a straight (non-crescent) bottom on it’s feed ramp. I also have a couple of First-Generation factory crescent shaped feed ramps. Kel-Tec seems to never have an exact stopping or starting point. While all of my P-3ATs make smilies to a greater on less extent, I have never needed to modify a feed ramp to get my mouseguns to operate 100%.

Wilson – who’s pleading guilty to 8 to 10 barrel hood mods but no feed ramps :D

16. kayak15

kayak15 New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Just an update to say thanks for the photo's, discussioon, and the welcome. This is definitely a great group. By the way, I got my first P3AT today and can't wait to try it out. I settled on the black one. We're leaving the country for a long week however so I guess it will just have to wait till we return. Guns in Mexico are a definite no no.

Again thanks,

Scott, the other one

17. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Right you are!

While I doubt any ever left the factory, there were a few FG style slides & barrels produced with the external (aka Frankenstein) extractor. The price increase in hex-bar steel did give Kel-Tec an excuse to change the shape adding 15% more weight, thus helping borderline limpwristing purchasers.

Wilson – who’s beginning to feel old with all this accumulated knowledge :-/

18. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Have a safe trip - how come everyone has one, except the gringos?

-Scott, another one