Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
its getting warm out, I have only carried a couple of days where i have been outside all day. my slide has lost some blue from sweat, and my slide stop and mag release have rust on them everyday, i sweat through my kholster. I am looking for some things to do to prevent this from happening because i love this gun. I thought about doing the hard chrome upgrade but didn't know if the mag release is replaced as well. I have thought about cerakote too. let me know what you all have done or what you think.

thanks
matt

·
Registered
250 Posts
hey guys,
its getting warm out, I have only carried a couple of days where i have been outside all day. my slide has lost some blue from sweat, and my slide stop and mag release have rust on them everyday, i sweat through my kholster. I am looking for some things to do to prevent this from happening because i love this gun. I thought about doing the hard chrome upgrade but didn't know if the mag release is replaced as well. I have thought about cerakote too. let me know what you all have done or what you think.

thanks
matt
If you do not go with a coating, I have had good success with Slip2000 lube. I apply it regularly on the outer surfaces (when cleaning I do the same thing internally), let it sit for 5 minutes or so and then wipe it off. It seems to do a good job of coating the metal and protecting from rust and does not collect dust either.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I still have to wipe down my blued PF9 every day. I use a cloth that has been treated with Remington gun oil and kept in a plastic baggy. Since I started doing this I haven't had any further rusting/de-blueing. I have tried paste wax in the past and though it has worked for others it just didn't work for me.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Keltec does not hard chrome the mag release. Slide, slide parts, barrel, and take down pin is HC. We cerakote the mag release and hammer spring pin on our HC guns before we put them up for sale. That way the gun is virtually rust proof when it leaves here. Aftermarket cerakote is great for rust as are other types of coatings and plating.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
would it be wise to just cerakote all of it? money wise that is. does the cerakote wear off with a kydex holster?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts