Miss Fires...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by wildjaych, Apr 18, 2009.

1. wildjaych

wildjaych New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    Went to the range today with my new P3AT. All was good with the 1st mag I shot, but after that the last 2 or 3 in the mag would miss fire. After looking at the bullets that didnt fire and empty cases that did. I noticed that the pin is striking on the outer edge of the center. Is this a problem anyone has had? My SR9 hits the bullet damn near center, but the Keltec is not. I am using the Remington UMC FMJ ammo that I found for sale in a box of 250. I have used it in my 9mm with no problems. I put one round in 3 dirrerent times and it diddnt fire. Any suggestions of what to do or should I send it back to Keltec.

Thanks
    J

2. KelTekCajun

KelTekCajun New Member

May 11, 2006
    Acadiana
    I would suggest you try another brand of ammo first so that you may either eliminate ammo as the cause or confirm firing pin as the cause.

3. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Pull you firing pin and flush out the firing pin channel with gun scrubber or similar cleaner. Then finger chamfer the channel with a drill bit that just fits into the channel to eliminate the possibility of a metal spur in the channel. Do so from the hammer end of the slide only. Flush it again to remove any filings or debris. You might also want to check the breech face to make certain your firing pin hole was cut in the proper place. Once you've done all of this, reassemble, lube, and take it back to the range. There is only a small chance that the Rem UMC is the problem. I've used it for years with absolutely no problems. But just to be certain try another ammo as well. If it still does it again, call KT and send it home to momma.

4. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hi wildjaych. I have not heard of this being a problem with Kel-Tec's. I don't think being slightly off center is a problem. If it is striking way out on the edge of the primer though I would be very concerned. I would disassemble the gun and give it a thorough cleaning, if you haven't done that already. Everything billjohnso20 said is good advise. Good luck.

5. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    YMMV but the Remington UMC fires very nicely in my KelTec.

6. 12smile

12smile New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    magtech ammo works fine for me