misfires

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gub, Jan 25, 2010.

1. gub

gub New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    I've put several hundred rounds through my P3AT, but it wasn't until yesterday that I tried firing drills as fast as I can.  My first magazine reassured me that I could quickly put six into any silhouette that taunts me from 20 feet away, but both my second and third groups of six had one misfire each.
    The primers were clearly marked, but no bang.  This is particularly disturbing without a hammer to pull back for a second try.

No problems when slow firing.  I was shooting Federal's American Eagle ammo.

Is there a known problem?  Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    It could be three different things.

1) Bad ammo. Did the rounds fire after you put them back through the gun?

2) You have the old hammer block. If so, you probably short stroked the hammer robbing it of even energy to fire the round.

3) You have trash/brass in the firing pin channel. Pull the firing pin and clean out the channel. Do not over lube the firing pin. It will lead to a build up of crud/trash in the channel causing light strikes.

3. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    When you say "clearly marked" were the marks as deep as the marks on the ammo that fired properly?

4. gub

gub New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    They weren't marked as deeply as those that fired.
    They did fire when I ran them through again.

I like the explanation that I short stroked the trigger.
    Time to bring out the cheap factory reloads and practice.

Thanks

5. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I would say thats the case then. I do know of on case where a guy reloaded his grandson some 243 ammo, but the gun being used would not fire the primers he used. It would fire factory ammo just fine, but the reloaded primers were too hard. Given that this was the same batch of ammo I'd say thats not the case. I would suggest contacting keltec and seeing if you have the anti short stroke hammer block or not.