misfires with u

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by kmunch, Oct 30, 2010.

1. kmunch

kmunch New Member

May 13, 2008
    dateI just boughrt my second P3AT and it misfires alot It is like the firing pin is not striking the primer hard enough to fire the round. It doesnt happen all the time but quite often
    I was wondering if anyone esle has had this problem and if there is a fix besides sending the gun back?
    *UPDATE*
    After a new firing pin and firing pin spring the gun was still misfiring. On a hunch I asked keltec to send me a new slide and barrel. Mike at keltec did one better and sent a parkerized barrel and slide. After puttung the gun back together I have fired 65 flawless rounds! I AM PUMPED!! the freaking thing WORKS Thanks mike and Keltec foe awesome service

2. MphsTiger1981

MphsTiger1981 New Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Re: mis fires

Question: Have you noticed a pattern when you experience the light strikes? Does this happen with the first round in the chamber, or only on follow up shots? If it happens only on follow up shots, you may not be allowing the trigger to fully reset after the first round goes off.

3. kmunch

kmunch New Member

May 13, 2008

I just returned from firing 3 clips thru the gun It misfierd on the first clip on the first round and the other two on the 3rd or 4th round It has gotten better since i bought it two days ago but still seems to misfire every clip

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Is the gun new or used? What kind of ammo have you tried?

Some rounds have harder primers than others.  Try some different ammo.  If it doesn't improve with other rounds, call KT for a new hammer spring.

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

I will ask...do you have the first design trigger or the newer anti short stroke?  but if the mis fire was first round, that can't be short stroking the trigger.  

If not familiar with short stroking, it is with the P3AT you MUST let the trigger go all the way forward to reset.  with the original, you get a click, a light hammer drop, but no bang.  with the newer trigger, the trigger will just lockup, allowing a second chance to let it reset.

the next would be a weak hammer spring.  you can check the hammer spring with the slide off.  just catch the hammer with your thumb so it doesnt slam into the frame and break.  also you will need to reset the hammer before replacing the slide.

another problem could be a dirty firing pin. you can clean the hole in the slide using a couple of numbered drill bits by hand

along with a dirty firing pin, if some one has tighten the extractor screw with the fp out of alignment, it will drag the pin.

if it has been fired alot, the stricker end of the pin could be beginning to mushroom

6. kmunch

kmunch New Member

May 13, 2008

Thre gun is brand new I went and fired 4 more mags and the same problem 2 times on the first round I also cleaned the gun before the last 4 mags. the gun has had less than 75 rounds fired

7. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008

Hi, May I ask what ammo you are using? I had an issue that sounds like your problem and it turned out to be the ammo.

8. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

It its a new gun then I would try some different ammo. Just out of curiosity, what kind were you shooting?

9. kmunch

kmunch New Member

May 13, 2008

The ammo that I was using was some handloads with all new conponents. when i recycled the rounds that didnt fire, thru the gun again, they fired the second time thru the gun. By the way one time yesterday the gun did fire all seven rounds?

10. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

It could be the primers were a little on the hard side or set a hair to deep.  Try a couple different brands of brass-cased factory ammo before doing anything else.

11. kmunch

kmunch New Member

May 13, 2008

I will try and find some Thanks to everyone for their help in a very frustrating situation. Other than not firing the gun is awesome! lol

12. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas

You cannot seat them "too deep".
    Handload mis-fires are common if the primers are not fully seated below flush with the case head.

The primer should be seated fully until the cup bottoms out in the primer pocket.
    The primer should then be a couple thou below the case head or so.
    That pre-loads the anvil into the primer compound.

If they are not fully seated (below flush with the case head) the first FP strike is aborbed seating the primer on the anvil, then the second strike will fire it.

rc

13. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Ooops... Make that, improperly seated. ;)

14. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009

Hi,

Much depends on how the primers are stored, and the sensitivity of the priming compound on if a P-3AT/P-32 will ignite them.  I had a problem with a lot of CCI primers that a friend gave me igniting on the first strike in a P-3AT and switching to Winchester primers solved the problem.  I later found out the CCI primers had been stored in an outside shed for a several years.  I suspect switching to factory ammo will solve the ignition problem.

Best Regards: :)

15. kmunch

kmunch New Member

May 13, 2008

I tried two different boxes of hand loads and a box of remington UMC 95 grain all with the same result. So today I called Kel tec. First they had me try the extractor screw to check for tightness. (this screw also holds the firing pin in place). It was tight. So now they think I have a firing pin issue. I dont understand how a firing pin can be an intermitten problem? It seems that it would be long enough or not. But anyway I now have a firing pin, a firing pin spring and a extractor screw on the way. Oh they also threw in a mag catch. Because of a mag rattle. The folks at kel tec are awesome. That beilg said it sure sucks to buy a new gun and have to wait and work on it to be able to use it. By the way the confidence level in the gun is pretty low right now. Should I bet my life on this firearm? Ill let you know!

16. kmunch

kmunch New Member

May 13, 2008
    Firing pin vs misfires

As you may know I have been having misfires ( light strikes ) with my P3AT. Keltec has sent me a new firing pin. The old firing pin measures 1.3280 the new one is 1.3395 Do you think that that is enough difference to cause the light strikes ?

17. Picatinny_Pete

Sep 2, 2009
    Re: Firing pin vs misfires

Hi,

Given the length of the firing pin channel the extra length can't hurt anything. It is a good time before you install the new firing pin to to polish any burrs off of it though.

Best Regards: :)

18. kmunch

kmunch New Member

May 13, 2008

An update I have installed a new firing pin and firing pin spring It still misfires so I talked to Mike at Keltec and I was told to send the Barrel and Slide back and the would send me new ones. That is where I am now, waiting on barrel and slide I thought It would be here today. But it seems as though I'm the only one that uses priorty mail. I'll see what happens Monday. Mike and Keltec has been Great but it sucks to buy a brand new gun and have to rebuild it before it works. By reading all the issues people have had on this forum it appears that keltec uses the public as their quality control

19. kmunch

kmunch New Member

May 13, 2008
    Barrel and slide

Recieved my barrel and slide back from keltec today they gave me a free upgrade to a parkerized slide and barrell I hope this id what has been causeing the misfires. Ill take it out and shoot it tomorrow. I havent changed the hammer spring yet im hoping it fires without the spring change

20. Picatinny_Pete

Sep 2, 2009
    Re: Barrel and slide

Hi Kmunch,

Good luck on the range. I would suggest that you feel for any roughness or burrs in the cam area cutout on the bolt and polish clean and lube. I'm only suggesting this because it is a brand new barrel that isn't broken in yet.

Best Regards: ;)