Mini Range report

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by RandyP, Dec 26, 2007.

1. RandyP

RandyP New Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Picked up my new P3AT this afternoon. I was 'thinking' about adding a PF9 at the same time, but they didn't have any in the recent serial # series, so I opted for a simply dandy Bersa Thunder also in 380.

I fired 75 rounds of econo American Eagle FMJ ammo through each pistol with just about nary a hiccup. The P3 is a real gem IMHO. Yes there IS a bit of recoil and flash but it is VERY manageable and definitely far less than my CZ52 -lol The Bersa suffered a few FTFs out of the first 25 rounds, but they were due to my not keeping a tight grip on the piece, not a problem with the gun.

I had ONE FTF on the P3 in the first clip, again pure operator error. After I stayed diligent with a firm grip, NO issues at all for the rest of the 70 rounds. The long trigger pull was not a big deal and the weight of the pull is not excessive. The Bersa pull in single action is a whisper in comparison to the KT but in DA is quite similar.

I am DELIGHTED to report that the accuracy of both guns is worthy of note. Out to 25' keeping all shots in the black (standard 25yd slow fire targets) was easy. At a more realistic pocket pistol 15' distance the P3 had no problem keeping a very commendable tight grouping. The Bersa, with it's VERY visible three-dot sights, larger frame and added weight made tight groups almost effortless. Note - 'tight' is a very RELATIVE term - your mileage may vary, batteries not included, slightly higher west of the Rockies - but if you can keep all shots in an 8-10" circle at practical distance with short barrels, that's pretty tight in my book. .

Neither of these handguns is a tack driver but I am quite confident they will do the job should they need to be called into action. Because of the small size and super light weight, the KT should make a comfy daily carry. The heavier, but more comfortable to hold and shoot Bersa will fill primary carry duties when ultra 'concealed' is not the main concern, but the KT will not be left behind.

While I can't base my opinion on more than just this brief  (150 round) encounter, I really like them BOTH a lot and think you'd be hard pressed to beat the "bang for the buck". They both sold for exactly the same price, just a few pennies under $270.00 each.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Randy, how did you get accustom to the P3AT trigger pull. I had a little problem with it until I gave up on "target" shooting.

3. RandyP

RandyP New Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Using a one hand hold, it WAS a struggle. Using the two-handed hold not so bad. Juts a very long pull, though not too heavy.

I will add that the P3, like all things, is a compromise. The other marques' handguns in this size shoot a .22 or a .25 round. The ability to have a .380 in such a convenient package is WELL worth the tradeoffs and design limits. The Bersa offers 'big' gun features -slide lock, external safety, great hand feel, 3-dot sights etc- all with the accompanying larger size and shape. It would be apples-oranges to compare the two - but BOTH are a good value IMHO.