Mini range report.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by BrowardSRT4, Jan 18, 2008.

1. BrowardSRT4

BrowardSRT4 New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    Well, went to the local gunshow this past weekend and picked up a black and blue P-3at. I was really trying to hold out for a HC model, but I had no luck, so I went blued. I ended up paying $275, which was the best price I could find.

Went to the range on Monday. I was a little nervous at first, I didn't know what to expect recoil wise. I was on the fence about whether I should go with the P32 for less recoil and more accuracy or P3at for a little more power. The recoil really wasn't bad at all. I don't know if it's because I've been shooting my PF9 a lot lately and thats got a decent snap to it, but the recoil wasn't as much as I expected. I also have half of a Hogue Handall Jr. around the grip which made it more pleasant. I ran 50 rounds of S&B through it, then 50 rounds of Remington FMJ without a single issue. I did polish the feedramp a little bit, but that was it. I was able to keep all 6 shots on a target about 15 feet away, I definitely need more practice with it though.

I'm still a newbie to shooting, I'm not used to shooting a gun where the slide doesn't lock back after the last round. The first couple mags I wasn't counting my shots and kept dryfiring after the last shot.
    I have heard plenty of bad things about dryfiring these guns, so I need to make myself more aware. All in all I had a pretty happy outing with my new pocket pistol.

Brian

2. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    That sounds great. Was that 100 rounds without stopping to clean?

I've already got a blued P3AT and have been on the market for a 2nd in HC. Maybe I'll go a different route ifin a HC doesn't show up over the next couple of months.

Take care.

3. BrowardSRT4

BrowardSRT4 New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    Yea, that was without a break. I originally went to just shoot of the 50 rounds of S&B that I had, but it went so fast and smooth I had to buy another box. the only cleaning I did was when I first got it.

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Hey, that's good to hear. Most I've gone is 57 rounds before cleaning. My practice is to shoot the carry ammo that's in the gun and then a box of fifty whatevers for the remainder of the shooting session.

Take care ...

5. ib4singlestack

ib4singlestack New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Lazy I guess, but don't clean anything at the range, but would do so if needed.
    Most I've done is three boxes in one session (150), all were FMJ but for a few SD.
    I want to see the crud build-up (what & where), prior to cleaning it at home.
    The feed ramp gets ugly, but has worked ok since first +100.  Maybe +500 rounds so far..
    Having said that, must admit, I may have run a cloth over the feed ramp once, at the range.

6. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Nothing wrong with shooting it till it starts choking as long as you realize why it's doing it. Too often, newbies do that, thinking it's an an all day plinking pistol, and then get discouraged when it starts jamming. Then they continue to shoot, hoping the "problem" will somehow go away and they get more discouraged.

7. Hutch01

Hutch01 New Member

Sep 17, 2005
    I have never shot more than 50 rounds without cleaning and lubing in 2 different 3PATs. As has been discussed before, LUBRICATION is probably more important than cleaning. This little pistol has tight tolerances and the slide inertia is critical. If something slows it down, you're going to get a malfunction.

If you want do torture tolerance, that's fine, but at the same time you must understand why if/when you get a malfunction. I must admit I don't understand why folks think shooting numerous (more than 50 rounds without cleaning/lubing) rounds is important. All you really need are the 6/7 in the weapon and you're done. In my view, you prove nothing by firing more than 50 rounds without at least a wipe down and lube.

Each to his own, I guess.

8. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    BillK does what many of us do including me. I shoot the ammo I've been carrying first and then 50 rounds of practice ammo.

9. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    +2 ;)

Bobo