Mine's NOT going back to it's daddy.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by KS.G36, Feb 14, 2008.

1. KS.G36

KS.G36 Guest

Another P-3AT going back to KT.

Bought it new today to use as a BUG. Cold and windy, but went to range anyway and put 12 rounds through it to be sure it was in working order. It seemed to be okay, no jams, recoil a little crisp, but manageable. Nothing really unexpected. Wind was bad so no real check on accuracy, but things looked good for the little bit of time that I put up with the cold wind.

At home I field stripped and swabbed the barrel.  Rem. UMC .380s had left some black.

I used a swab with cleaner only on the barrel, then brushed the ramp and wiped the factory grease off everything I could. Replaced with a little TW25B Mil lube on slide rails and other obvious metal to metal points.

In reassembly things got interesting. The gun needed babying to get the slide down to where the lock pin can be put in. The guide rod / springs were very difficult to get placed where they would stay aligned so the slide would come down the track without a stop to the point where the assembly pin will go in. Finally I got the slide in proper position and the pin went in as described in the manual.

Now the real problem. When the slide is pulled, the barrel is not dropping properly to go to reload position. Seems like some machine work is needed.

Having never fired a P-3AT before, and with little gun maintenance experience beyond field strip and cleaning, I’m gonna box it up and send it back to the Florida address to let them figure it out.   :-/

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Re: Mine's going back to it's daddy.

It's probably not happy with you for your username!  It wants to be primary in your life.  

I am guessing you are not assembling things correctly.  As it fired correctly (for both KT and you) I am guessing that there is nothing wrong that needs machining.  Getting that guide rod and springs in just right is probably where you are hanging up.  It really is easy - after the first 5 times.

You will get some detailed instructions here in a few minutes (from others who remember where things are better than I), but its not worth being gone for 4-6 weeks if its something we can help you with. And you will be MUCH more comfortable with your gun afterward.

-Scott

3. KS.G36

KS.G36 Guest

adamsesq // Hope you are right .. I can follow instructions until we get to lapping or lathe work .. and I kinda like this gun already.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

Are you assembling the slide/barrel/springs together before placing on the slide?  
    It helps if you "screw" the outer spring into the hole at the end of the slide to get it to seat.  the head of the recoil rod should fit very secure into the notch ahead of the barrel lug.  The barrel lug should then be adjusted to be square with the sides of the slide.  As the slide/barrel/springs are being placed on the frame, the barrel can be fine adjusted for squareness to get the lug to fit into the frame.  The head of the recoil rod will contact the frame about 1/16" BEFORE the pin can be installed.  the slide/barrel then needs to be pushed on that 1/16" to compress the springs slightly.  the pin then slides through the frame and the "S" guide in the barrel lug.

edit

Oh by the way, welcome to KTOG and congrates on the P3AT, hopefully you will notice what went wrong and not have to sent it to KT every time to be reassemble following field stripping

5. wcgoble

wcgoble Banned

Oct 23, 2007

P380 just like any other gril, got to fool around with her for a while to finger out how to get things placed just right.
    Practice, Practice, Practice.
    ;D

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

why do I think that was intentional?
    ;D

-Scott

7. KS.G36

KS.G36 Guest

The barrel/springs/guide are assembled exactly as asked. I have been through the routine more than several times now. The best back travel I can get from the slide is 1/4 in. from normal position. It stops solid, well short of full travel and releases normally to return to position.

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

DING DING DING. Just a guess here, but you pulled the trigger while the slide was off.  You need to manually reach in from the top and pull the hammer back to the back until it locks into place.  Then the slide will slide all the way on.

-Scott

9. KS.G36

KS.G36 Guest

Trigger pulled? Yes .. I tried about an hour ago just to see what the hammer was like when I let it down .. didn't look any good to me. Hammer is returned to up and back position. Good call though but the dang slide still won't travel. The slide goes on and the assembly pin goes in .. The gun looks in normal configuration until I try to pull the slide as if to load a round.

I have tried with and w/o the mag in

I tried with a cartridge in

Yes the gun is unloaded now. :) Nothing I can think of will make the slide pull ,more than 1/4 inch to the rear from at rest position. It is like there's a safety stopping the thing.

10. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

If it fired - which it did. And your barrel is seated, square and the guide rod/springs are too, then the only thing that could prevent it from sliding back is the hammer. (you didn't remove the frame (the serial numbered part) from the grip did you?) Hold the hammer and pull your trigger letting the hammer fall very slowly. Now, pull the hammer back again until it locks in position making sure it is full locked back. Part #115 (the tiny little ejector along the left side of the frame) is still in properly or completely in line with the lines of the frame correct? Now slide your slide on from the front and let us know where it is stopping if it won't go all the way on.

-Scott

11. KS.G36

KS.G36 Guest

If it fired - which it did.  And your barrel is seated, square and the guide rod/springs are too, then the only thing that could prevent it from sliding back is the hammer.  (you didn't remove the frame (the serial numbered part) from the grip did you?)  Hold the hammer and pull your trigger letting the hammer fall very slowly.  Now, pull the hammer back again until it locks in position making sure it is full locked back.  Part #115 (the tiny little ejector along the left side of the frame) is still in properly or completely in line with the lines of the frame correct?  Now slide your slide on from the front and let us know where it is stopping if it won't go all the way on.

-Scott
    [/quote]

OK Frame has not been removed by me, .. the gun did fire two full mags. I have cycled the hammer carefully down and returned it to lock position where the trigger likes it. .. The ejector is in place it fits loosely, but the slignment is looking good to me. .. (I am good at finding it on the floor now.)

The slide goes all the way on the pistol. With or without the assembly pin, the slide will not pull back more than a quarter inch from normal position on the frame. The barrel wants to drop but the slide stops solid.

12. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

First of all THANK YOU. Because of you a few weeks worth of memories have been saved. I went to take pictures of my weapon for you and realized I did not have the camera. Re-tracing my steps I determined it was lying in the driveway where I got in the car before coming home tonight from my "office." Had I not looked for it I would not have found it and it would have been run over by a bunch of construction traffic in the morning.

So now. Once your slide is back on and sitting in the "rest" position put the assembly pin in. Once you do that and try and pull the slide back like you want to load a round, what happens?

-Scott

13. KS.G36

KS.G36 Guest

The slide travels back 1/4 inch and stops like there's a safety on. (Best description I can give.)  Then I release and the slide goes back to normal ready or rest position.
    In that process, the barrel assembly moves downward (possibly not enough), but I cannot push and make the barrel chamber go any further to allow any more travel.

Glad you found the CAMERA before anyone else did.  :) Read right typed wrong .. sorry!!!

14. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

CAMERA LOST - NOT NOT NOT Gun.  

You do have the assembly pin in correct? It appears that the barrel is not dropping away from the slide which is what the assembly pin should force to happen.

COME ON GUYS - HELP ME OUT HERE.

-Scott

15. KS.G36

KS.G36 Guest

Assembly pin is and was in .. yes

16. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Criminy - that pin should force the barrel to stay in its spot while you pull the slide away from it. So now I am thinking that the guiderod and spring are hung up. When you put the guide rod and spring(s) in were you able to push them through the hole in the front of the slide before sitting them back on the shelf of the barrel?

17. KS.G36

KS.G36 Guest

Am wondering if it needs machine work on the receiver part of the barrel .. light i have here is no the best, but it looks as if the barrel assembly dropped a hair more .. it might cure the problem. Maybe they did something to force the issue at the factory, hoping the break-in would wear and provide better clearance. I remember I had to cycle twice to get the mag to feed on the first shot. Otherwise the gun fired in a normal way.

18. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Pictures comming.  Just a sec.

See if these in any way help:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the first round thing is something we can deal with after we get you back together.

-Scott

19. KS.G36

KS.G36 Guest

The rod can go through, not the spring(s). I see it poking out about 1/4 inch when I try to cycle the slide.

20. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Ok - the rod pokes out 1/4" when you try to cycle the slide. What about the barrel - does it ever poke out the front?