Mine came back today.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Poppers_2-4, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Poppers_2-4

Poppers_2-4 New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    I had about 300-400 flawless rounds through my KT before it KaBoomed on WWB value pack. KT replaced it but I never got through a whole mag. without a FTF or a FTE. I sent it back in August and I got it back today. KT replaced the grip, mag. catch, slide (parkerized not the blue that was on it), barrel and internal parts. While cleaning it I noticed the frame says it P-32. I tried the .380 cartridge and it chambers tight so I guess the frames are interchangeable.
    I'd like to be sure before I test it out. Anyone know for sure???

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    i'm without tonight so i can not verify, but the frames should not be the same. the p3at should be bigger.

3. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

I think you mean grip and not frame. The frame is the aluminum part that house the hammer, sear etc, and the grip is the plastic outside. It's possible that your P3AT frame might be in a P-32 grip, but a P3AT slide would have problems working with a P-32 frame because of differences in the designs such as the ejector, etc.

Best Regards: :cool:

4. Poppers_2-4

Poppers_2-4 New Member

Jan 4, 2008

You are correct. I thought the plastic lower was called the frame. The frame (aluminum) seems to be the only original part.
    I bought this gun in 2007, KaBoomed it in 2008 and just got back to returning it. Here's some of the WWB brass I picked up after the incident 2 years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the barrel.

5. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    another most disturbing report. why the wait for two years to send it in? and did the pistol fail to go into battery? barrel fracture picture looks much like what would happen after a squib load. and did Winchester get to look at the failed case? what happened to the rest of the ammo? would Winchester have wanted to examine it?

and what does KT have to say about a grip marked P32? weird!

og....who is skeptical about this.

6. Poppers_2-4

Poppers_2-4 New Member

Jan 4, 2008

Not disturbing to me. Why wait for two years? This isn't my only gun, I have an LCP, PM9 and a 642 for the summer (Michigan). I put it in the safe and forgot about it.
    The pistol was in battery and the barrel held the slide open after it separated. That's how I sent the pistol back to KT. It probably was a squib load and I sent the brass with the gun to KT.
    Called KT and they claim a 32 grip was probably mixed in with the 380's and all guns "are test fired before they are shipped". I dropped a 32 in the barrel and it fell half way in and stuck so there will never be a 32 fired in this gun.
    Took it to the club and ran 51 through it with no problem. I'm totally satisfied.

I just saw "who is skeptical about this" note at the bottom and if I would have seen that first, I sure as hell wouldn't have taken the time to two finger type a freaking reply!!! >:(

7. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    My, My, aren't we touchy! Sorry I touched a nerve there but why didn't you just tell us the facts first? Instead of keeping us guessing that something was wrong with the P3AT rather than the squib.
    Some of us have messed with P32's and P3AT's a long time and when we see and read a report like your first post, naturally we are skeptical. Do you maybe think all here at KTOG are mind readers and just can figure out everything without adequate explanation.
    Thanks anyway for clarifying the cause of your kaboom.
    Cheers,
    og

8. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Hey OG, I'm an old great grandpa so that probably makes me OGG.  Anyway, I'm pleased that your comments elicited a much more complete reply.  I had the same concerns that you did and now that we know that the KB probably resulted from a squib load my concerns are assuaged.  Nobody should have taken umbrage to your remarks.  They were totally justified.

9. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    thank you good friend gvaldeg1 for your kind comments. True, I wasn't trying to put the poor guy down, just my old grumpy (og can stand for old grump ;D) way of trying to get to the bottom of the problem. First split barrel on a P3AT like that I'd ever seen. Excellent photo by the way.

I guess I'm still concerned about a squib load from Winchester with their WWB valupak. I've used a lot of that ammo. But guess even Winchester can have a hicup on a hi speed ammo machine. Anyway, now I'm going to look at WWB valupak ammo a little closer in the future.

Also, congrats on being a great grandpa. I've got several married grandkids but no great grandkids yet. I guess the economy has made them decide kids are too expensive right now. ::)

Again, thanks for your notes.

Cheers,
    og

10. Poppers_2-4

Poppers_2-4 New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Well, I'm a Medicare card carrying, grandpa to 4, nine year retired, two fingered typer and the question I asked was "if anyone had a .380 grip replaced with a .32 grip by KT". I guess in hindsight I shouldn't have included in my question what led up to my sending the gun in.
    I was concerned about the grip, not about the KB.
    You certainly taught me a lesson in keeping a question short and not adding details that could take away from the original question, I appreciate that.
    I put another 50 rounds through it with only one problem, the take down pin backed halfway out and caused a jam on the last round. I cleared it and ran 18 more through it with no problems.
    Still happy with it.

11. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    thanks Poppers, and your post on the kaboom was most appreciated. Us granpa's can be grumpy at times, so sorry I was so grumpy with my first reply.
    Anyway, an excellent report from you on what happened.

Back in the days with the original KTrange, before it got hacked and lost all data, we did a calc on the P3AT barrel which showed it had a very low factor of safety, only about 1.5. So, the failure you showed in the picture is exactly what whould be expected with overpressure. Like from a squib bullet stuck in the barrel. Also makes me concerned about using the so-called +p ammo showing up. Hope Murphy's Law doesn't catch somebody.

Glad your replacement pistol works good.

og

12. Poppers_2-4

Poppers_2-4 New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    oldgranda,

I certainly understand the "grumpy" comment. I'm up at 4:30-5:00, have a pot of coffee down by 6 and usually have the wife PO'd at me by 8:00.
    I didn't realize there was ever a barrel problem. My buddy jumped on me for not sending the brass to Winchester but I figured giving to brass to KT might be better. Six of one, half dozen of the other I guess.
    Thanks for replying.

13. Poppers_2-4

Poppers_2-4 New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    On about the fifth magazine, I had the take down pin work it's way loose on the last round and jam the slide and casing. I heard this was a problem years ago (on GT) but the situation had been corrected. I looked at the old and new pins that were posted, and mine looks new but, I could be wrong.
    I wrote KT and will let you know their response in 2-3 days.

14. Poppers_2-4

Poppers_2-4 New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    I received an email from KT and they will be sending me a new grip (my choice of color), a new pin and directions on how to R&R the grip.
    I'm more than pleased. :)