Militec

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by dave43, Dec 13, 2008.

1. dave43

dave43 New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I just got some militec oil and the literature says if you apply a coating and it heat it up it will cause the surface to be permanently lubricated. I'm thinking of putting on a coat and using a hairdryer to bond it to my Parkerized P3AT. Has anyone tried this? Did it help? Are there any areas I should be careful of not using heat on?

2. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Some people report great results.
    Others are on the fence.

I fell off the fence after I did this lube test a couple years ago.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/Y...action=display&num=1119987390&start=0

It may be great stuff, but blow dried on, and left dry, it proved worse then no lube at all for me.

I still use the tube of grease in certain applications, but my P3AT isn't one of them.
    I think I tossed the tube of oil.

Do Not use heat on or around the plastic grip or mag base pads & followers.

rcmodel

3. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I disassembled and applied militec-1 oil to every piece of my gun and magazines except the aluminum frame and of course any plastic. Then heated in oven with the door partially open to keep the temperature below the maximum stated by militec. I did the whole process twice and am very satisfied with the results. I haven't had the surface rust in a couple non-blued areas that I had before using militec.

4. dave43

dave43 New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I'm going to take everything not attached to the grip which looks to be all metal and do the oven method at 140. I will blowdry the hammer and slide rail attached to the grip. Can a blowdryer get hot enough to melt the plastic? Also should I take the ejector out and put that in the oven also?

5. dave43

dave43 New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    second thought I might not mess with the frame it looks to be aluminum...I will just use the oven method. Is there anything in the slide that has plastic like the firing pin or anything?

6. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Everything in the slide is OK to heat but it would be better to take everything apart and apply the oil to individual parts, then heat. When everything is disassembled you can give it a thorough cleaning too. Mine had a lot of crud in the firing pin channel. Do the bore of the barrel also. I've started using Militec on all my firearms and the bore cleans up easier now.

7. DaveNC

DaveNC Member

Mar 7, 2008

Did you even read the testing that RC did? After I read the report I'm sticking with Rem oil. Read the data in the link.

8. dave43

dave43 New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I just am going to put a coat of militec on and then switch back to using just rem oil and militec grease.