Militec-1

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by sgtdraino, Sep 11, 2004.

1. sgtdraino

sgtdraino New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Well, just put in my order for Militec-1! Looking forward to seeing just how good this stuff is.

I got the "Sniper Pak" 4 oz bottle with the metal needle.

Any advice on cleaning off the old lubricants? Just put Hoppes on everything, or what?

The Militec-1 guy was telling me that this stuff is also good for putting in your vehicle. Anybody ever tried that?

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I use 91% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. It works well and evaporates cleanly. I like to heat the miltec treated parts with a blow-dryer, in the hot sun or even the oven on warm (careful with plastic).

3. charles1198

charles1198 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Not to totally disagree with TxCajun, but I'd try denatured alcohol (stove fuel) if you really want to get rid of residue. I used to work at a radio station, and we weren't allowed to use rubbing alcohol for cleaning the tape decks due to the small amount of residue it leaves. It would actually leave the rollers coated with it. On the other hand, rubbing alcohol is cheaper and easier to find. Just some thoughts.

4. yzguy

yzguy New Member

Sep 9, 2004
    yeah, I've always just used regular rubbing alcohol, or break cleaner if I really wanted to blast something off. I'm sure the other is better, but I've never had a problem with this....

5. UnSafe

UnSafe New Member

Sep 8, 2004
    I've used Militec grease and oil for about a year now, and while it works fine, I don't think it really does anything more than Wheel bearing grease and Breakfree CLP. I still get a bit of corrosion in the hex head grip screws on my Commander from my sweaty side, and the Aluminum frame rails on my P3 and P-40 wear from contact with the slide, but that's to be expected. It's just oil/ grease. Good, for sure, but not magic.

6. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I've had NO rust with mil-tec. Did you heat treat it to bond to the metal?

7. UnSafe

UnSafe New Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Yep, per the website instructions. I need to replace the screws w/ stainless, just to be done with it. In this instance, the left side grip screws rest aginst my sweaty right flank all day, whenever I carry the Commander. The hammer is stainless and the remainder is Xylan (Industrial coat similar to Teflon) coated and resist corrosion well.

8. The_Capn

The_Capn New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    hoppies FTL.

it is proven to cause liver cancer. forget that stuff period.

get break free, it is a great cleaner\lubricatior. and miltec is GREAT!

its good to see a well taken care of kel tec.

keep it up.

Keith-

9. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    I think Militec has been proven to be an excellent lubricant but it is not nearly as good as other products at rust prevention. It was designed as a lubricant though and you would typically put it on internal parts that move against each other.

Use something else on the outside for rust prevention. I use CLP. Since I use a light coat of grease on the slide / frame rails, I just apply Militec to the hammer / trigger assembly. I do coat all the metal parts with it and bake them at low heat in the oven for about 10-15 minutes.

I've had no problem with rust when my KTs were blued regardless of what I used on them though.

10. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I cleaned and then put Militec-1 oil on all the slide components including barrel and baked in oven at 140 degrees for 10 minutes, re-applied then re-baked. Also put Militec-1 grease on the slide rails, the hammer and the hammer interface. Feeds and ejects perfect and so far no corrosion and easy to clean after shooting.

11. sgelles

sgelles New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    I have read the Cleaning and Lubrication post. Do you also coat the inside of the barrel with Militec-1 oil or with the Militec-1 grease?

Thanks,

12. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I have read the Cleaning and Lubrication post.  Do you also coat the inside of the barrel with Militec-1 oil or with the Militec-1 grease?

Thanks,[/quote]
    Yes, put a small amount of Militec-1 oil in the bore. The instructions say it will make cleaning much easier after it has heated with the oil on. You can heat by just shooting also. I only put the grease on the slide rails, hammer and hammer interface.

13. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Don't put grease in the barrel. You can put the Militec oil in there before baking but run a patch through it afterwards to remove any excess. You don't want a bunch of oil in there when you shoot.

14. sgelles

sgelles New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Don't put grease in the barrel.  You can put the Militec oil in there before baking but run a patch through it afterwards to remove any excess. You don't want a bunch of oil in there when you shoot.[/quote]

Thanks all.  Is Militec-1 kidding when it says that I do not have to clean and lube the weapon until another 2000 rounds.  I did apply the oil and baked the slide parts at 170 degrees for 10 minutes, 3 times.  Then I applied the grease on the rails and hammer/slide interface per the lubrication post in tech works.  Sounds too good to be true.  Am I missing anything?

Thanks again,

15. Blue_Moon

Blue_Moon New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    I don't know that I have ever heard that about Militec, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention.  I use Militec, particularly on my Keltecs, and I clean everything each time I shoot it.  Sometimes I will shoot my .22's a couple of times between cleaning.

As little as I get to the range, 2000 rounds in each gun might take me 2 or 3 years!  ;D

16. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    I think the 2000 rounds is referring military weapons and a maximum. I don't imagine 20 degrees makes much difference but Militec recommends no more than 150 in a controlled heat environment. I had to keep my oven door partially open on the lowest setting to get below 150 degrees.

17. Talus

Talus New Member

Aug 22, 2008
    I think the 2000 rounds is referring military weapons and a maximum. I don't imagine 20 degrees makes much difference but Militec recommends no more than 150 in a controlled heat environment. I had to keep my oven door partially open on the lowest setting to get below 150 degrees.[/quote]
    I use Miltec and I would not recommend anything near 2000 rounds in between cleanings. After the apply/bake process, I shot 200 rounds in one session and it was in desperate need of cleaning and re-lubrication. I was using the relatively dirty WWB, and after the range session I realized I should have at least re-lubed it half way through at the range. The thing was dry and dirty, especially on the little rail that cocks the hammer.

18. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas