Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought we could start up a thread to pay tribute to our children or siblings who are currently serving in our armed forces.

Cajun Wifey and I have our 20 year old daughter serving in the Louisiana Army National Guard. 199 Charlie Company, 256 Infantry Brigade. She's served a little over a year. Straight out of high school. And, yes we're proud of our young soldier.

ForumRunner_20120421_222715.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
My how time flys. Always good to see there are still youths that believe in doing their service for Country.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My son just got out of the Marines. Two tours in Afghanistan, two Purple Hearts, multiple IED explosions. Came back much more mature, thoughtful and level headed; more sure of himself but less cocky if that makes any sense. God bless all those who serve(d) in the military.

·
Super Moderator
17,764 Posts
btw - did you know that the Marines do not give Purple Hearts for injuries suffered as a result of an IED?
This is just not right. I have heard of PH being awarded for having an appendectomy in a field hospital. I have a nephew who has done 1 tour each in Iraq and Afghanistan. I count my blessings each time he's made it back uninjured because I was the one who convinced him to enlist.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Most respectfully, from what I can find...this isn't true. The Armed forces DO award the Purple Heart to military persons injured by IUD's.

Matt Ellis, a former sergeant in the Marine Corps, received his second Purple Heart in a ceremony at his old high school for injuries he suffered in an improvised explosive device strike during his second deployment in 2009 and 2010, where he served in Marjah, Afghanistan.
http://www.militaryconnection.com/news\march-2012\homegrown-hero-html.html

1. THIS ALL NAVY (ALNAV) MESSAGE CLARIFIES AND UPDATES THE DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY (DON) POLICY FOR AWARD OF THE PH. The purpose of this ALNAV is to enhance consistency across the DON by providing amplifying guidance to assist PH awarding authorities in applying the PH criteria to individual cases. Detailed guidance is included concerning award of the PH for MTBI. The basic eligibility and criteria contained in references a through c remain unchanged, and this Message does not cancel previous guidance published within DON concerning award of the PH for wounds other than MTBI. The standards set forth in this ALNAV are effective immediately and may be retroactively applied for certain instances of MTBI suffered on or after September 11, 2001. ....

b. Wounds/injuries are the direct result of enemy action when the physical effects of an enemy weapon on the service member are the immediate cause of the wound/injury (e.g., being struck by projectiles, fragmentation, or blast from an enemy weapon or improvised explosive device).
http://www.purpleheartoklahoma.com/purple_heart_eligibility

A Marine Staff Sgt. received a Purple Heart during a ceremony held at Bangor Cinema Plus theater on Naval Base Kitsap, Bangor, Feb. 16.

Marine Staff Sgt. Chris Rangel, S3 operations assistant chief, Marine Corps Security Force Battalion Bangor, received a Purple Heart after suffering a traumatic brain injury (TBI) caused by an improvised explosive device (IED) during an airborne operation while deployed to Afghanistan in 2009.
http://www.thenorthwestnavigator.co...gor-marine-receives-purple-heart/?partner=RSS

Unfortunately, I can find many more of the same with a simple search....way too many.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I apologize, you are correct.
The Armed forces DO award the Purple Heart to military persons injured by IUD's.
I checked with my son and he said he was referring to "closed head" injuries - i.e. concussions.
My apologies for passing on inaccurate info about our military

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Sgt Matt did 5 in the USMC. He is on the right. (Boot Camp graduation Picture)
He is now the Supervisor of Military Flight Operations at Sikorski.

FC3 Mark will be joining the USS Decatur next month. Did not have a pic of him on this computer...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
OohRahh. Still strikes me funny that DI's can't smile for family pics after grad. I see a stripe, meritorious or signed a buddy? I got mine in boot also for being the scribe/whipping boy.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
OohRahh. Still strikes me funny that DI's can't smile for family pics after grad. I see a stripe, meritorious or signed a buddy? I got mine in boot also for being the scribe/whipping boy.
Eagle Scout.

Mark graduated boot as an e3 (Seaman 1st). Eagle+meritorious

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I was asking about Matt. With the PFC stripe outta boot camp. I got out after four at E4. USMC '88-'92.
Understood. Being an Eagle Scout = automatic bump in grade for all enlisted upon exiting boot. True across all services, TTBOMK

·
Registered
5 Posts
My son's graduation at Benning in Georgia. He is now serving in the Texas National Guard as a Medic and is Stationed in Africa.

Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I am glad I retired before the Beret became official headgear. I look dumb enough as it is.

Life is short, be happy
Jack

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
BZ Son! BZ!

Some of you may remember a similar letter that I posted last year. Well, it most fortunately keeps coming!!
:):):D

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
Son-in-law (might as well be my own kid) down at Ft. Rucker as a WO.
He was former KY Air NG with time in the sandbox. Second airplane to land at Baghdad International at the begining of Iraq.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I am on the phone with my youngest. He Joined USN on July 13, 2010.

He just got the advancement postings. He made grade on his first cycle!!

FC2 (E-5) in less than 2 years!!

Yahoo!! BZ son!!
:D:):D:):D:):D:):D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts