Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question for those who have on e on their PLR-16's. Does this allow you to turn and remove the gas tube so you can disassemble the gun for cleaning?

I have installed mine and no matter how I try to center it and line it up, it still presses against the gas tube and does not allow it to turn for dis-assembly:confused:.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean you are removing the top portion and you still cant get the gas tube out?
No, I was wondering if the gas tube was meant to be taken off with the top portion of the quad rail still bolted on to the lower portion? On mine it is not possible. There is some interference (pressure/rubbing on the gas tube and therefore it is not possible to turn it.

I've thought about opening the possible areas that it rubs against with a file, but I wanted to hear from other MI quad rail owners to see if they had similar issues as mine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The top section needs to be removed to take out the gas tube. It's a bit of a pain, because you need to remove, IIRC, 4 allen bolts to field strip. I am not staring at it right now, so I can't recall if you need to loosen the two set screws also. I think so.

Regardless, its still the best handguard option out there IMO

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the confirmation, i really like the rail and I have MI rails on a few other guns including a Mini Draco Pistol. I just wish i could take the PLR-16 apart without having to take off the top rail.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have recently installed this on mine and no disassembly is required of the quad rail at all to breakdown the pistol.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Have recently installed this on mine and no disassembly is required of the quad rail at all to breakdown the pistol.
Unless Midwest has changed the design recently, there are two set screws that tighten against the gas tube to help prevent the guard from rotating. In order to access the set screws you need to remove the upper guard first.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Did not install the set screws as it seemed secure enough without them. Will shoot it this weekend to see if that is the case. Also the set screws appeared to line up below the gas tube so tightened up they would have been pushing up on the tube.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Did not install the set screws as it seemed secure enough without them. Will shoot it this weekend to see if that is the case. Also the set screws appeared to line up below the gas tube so tightened up they would have been pushing up on the tube.
Yeah they are below centerline of the gas tube, but its not like you would crank on them hard enough to move the tube or anything.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I also bought and installed longer screws to ensure full thread engagement through the lower block. Was not confident with the shorter ones supplied. Just installed my YHM phantom flash suppressor and did not move the fore end at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts