Metal Mag Releases

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jlwman, Jun 11, 2009.

1. jlwman

jlwman New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Can someone point me in the direction of where you can buy these? I cannot find them anywhere (online).

2. Moose

Moose New Member

Jun 22, 2005

3. jlwman

jlwman New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Thank you! They are quite a bit more expensive than I thought they would be, but I bet they are worth it.

4. Moose

Moose New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Worth every cent, in my opinion.

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Me too. I think the equipment being used, the small size and different faces/surfaces on the catch makes them a little labor intensive. However, you only pay for quality once. ;)

6. bh153dc

bh153dc New Member

I have one in my P3AT and also my P11. DaveNC on this site does a great job! Both fixed the problem of my mags falling out on their own. Worth every Dollar.......

7. RPM_64

RPM_64 New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I'm still the newbie so bare with me.
    Is this something that should be replaced as preventive maintenance?

8. bh153dc

bh153dc New Member

RPM_64, the mag catch is of course made of plastic. So over time it will wear out. You can always call Kel-Tec and they will send you one for free. I just enjoy the fact that I should never have to replace the mag catch. Just my personal preference.......

9. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    I got mine from KelTec directly for about $7 I think, hell, maybe it was free. I asked for one when I ordered a couple other things.

Does KT not sell metal mag releases anymore?

<edit>

My bad ... it was $7.12

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/cart2/product_info.php?cPath=26_27&products_id=99

</edit>

<edit2>

oops ... that was for the PF-9 though ... sorry, brain fart

</edit2>

10. RPM_64

RPM_64 New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Thank You. I think I might just grab one for the sake of the plastic one NOT wearing out. Just an ounce of prevention on my end. Certainly can't hurt.

11. Moose

Moose New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    I like mine because I don't have to push up on the mag first to remove it, and pushing the release when inserting the mag.
    Not much I know, but I like knowing some metal is holding my ammo in the gun.

12. chiefjason

chiefjason New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    New to the site here. Moose, it says I am not allowed to access the link. I'm having serious enough issues with my mag catch now that I am uncomfortable trusting the gun for use. One good whack to the side and it falls out, also falls out when I try to chamber a round. I've sanded the mag and lower end of the grip. I've tried to load the clip -1. Nothings working. I figure the mag catch went bad, even though it's been only 8 mths or so. Any other way to get the metal mag catches? Or do I just need to get my post count up? Thanks for the info, and great site.

13. Swissyankee

Swissyankee New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Just got back from the range. Every shot my mag popped out, looks like I need a new mag release too.

14. Moose

Moose New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Right now I would call Keltec, they will send you a new one free.

Be sure to push in on the release when inserting the magazine, and push up on the magazine, then the release, when removing the magazine.

Look around the site and join in on what's going on, lots to learn from the good folks here.
    You'll have your 25 posts before you know it.

15. chiefjason

chiefjason New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Thanks for the info. I figured it was the post count. 23 to go.

16. Mr._E

Mr._E Guest

:( I'm joining the club. 24 to go.

17. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    :( I'm joining the club.  24 to go.[/quote]

Feel free to jump on the Welcome Wagon and get ya a free post.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1144559181

18. Mr._E

Mr._E Guest

:( I'm joining the club.  24 to go.[/quote]

Feel free to jump on the Welcome Wagon and get ya a free post.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1144559181[/quote]
    Thanks for the pointer. Very helpful.

19. ericgst

ericgst New Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Will this magazine release help prevent the magazine from unintentional releases?

Sometimes when I carry my P3AT in my pocket with nothing else, I grab the gun to remove it and the magazine is popped loose. I have filed the release down which helped but it still seems to occur from time to time.

20. RPM_64

RPM_64 New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    When I installed mine I noticed it to be a touch snugger to push than the factory plastic. I could trim a touch but decided to leave the snugness in. Does it help, I think so BUT I really don't know for sure. IMHO it can't hurt. Good Luck. :)