Metal Mag Catch for P-3AT?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by TucsonMTB, Aug 9, 2008.

1. TucsonMTB

TucsonMTB New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Tucson Arizona
    Does anyone know of an available metal mag catch for the P-3AT?

Beach seems to be out of business.  Packer does not seem to be in business yet.  Kel-Tec has one for the PF-9, but apparently not for the P-3AT.

My apologies if my forum searchs missed any recently shared insight.

TucsonMTB . . . who has been away for a while

2. Cremator

Cremator New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    I PM'd Packer a couple months back, but have not received a reply so I don't think he is in business yet.

3. SMMAssociates

SMMAssociates New Member

Apr 23, 2006
    I finally got around to installing the metal catch I got from Packer last October....  I'd been waiting for the trigger he was supposed to send me "shortly" then....

No response to my last e-mail (I only do that every six months or so - he doesn't want to be bothered, and I can respect that).

The catch dropped right in....

HOWEVER, don't remove the hammer block pin while removing the frame from the grip.  It's not rocket science, but it's not easy to replace.  When you put the frame back on the grip, use a thin screwdriver or probe and push the hammer block (it'll be folded down against the rear of the grip) as far forward (flatten it out, opened like a pocket knife) as you can. Then, as you slide the frame into the grip, back the screwdriver out - that leaves the forward portion of the block up against the front of the hammer's round part.

Regards,

4. kraigster414

kraigster414 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    How does the Beach metal mag catch compare with the Packer?  I've had a Beach lying around for a long time that I'd like to install.  Any known problems with the Beach? Thanks.

Also, does KT plan to make a metal mag catch for the P3AT soon?

5. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Oh, the Beach ones don't work, are very very bad.  In fact they could infect your weapon just by being in the same house.  Since I care for KTOG'ers so much I'll even pay the shipping for you to send that to me so I can properly dispose of it for you.  Just let me know where to send the pre-addressed stamped envelope....   :D

Seriously, I don't know anything about Packer's but have some very positive experiences with the Beach catches.  The funny thing is that everyone wanted a metal catch so they didn't have to push the release button to insert a mag.  With my plastic catches I could insert the mag just fine without pushing the release button (but it would chew them up until they eventually failed.)  But when I put the Beach catches in I COULD NOT insert the mag at all without pushing the button.  There was too much material on them and they needed some filing down to where the mag would catch enough of an angle on the bottom of the catch to push it back against the spring.  

-Scott (who would be interested in that Beach catch if you by chance don't want it)

6. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    I have a Beach catch in my gun. It has worked perfectly since Jan 2006 with no alterations. I was easily able to install it without removing the frame - just a normal field strip.

Bobo

7. kraigster414

kraigster414 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Thank you Scott and Bobo. I figured I should finally get around to installing it.

8. Don't install it....it will turn your gun into a pile of rust in less than 24 hours.

Since I like rusty guns I will send you a crispy $20 for the catch and you can get in line for a 2PP anti rust catch.

9. TucsonMTB

TucsonMTB New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Tucson Arizona
    Yeah, but if you decide not to, there are plenty of potential homes for it, including Tucson, AZ.  :D

Yes, I know money is no object, but I will cheerfully send you some.

All the best,

TucsonMTB . . . who also likes your hard chromed LCP slide from APW

10. kraigster414

kraigster414 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    I guess I'll just have to have Robar NP3 the little sucker. :) Rust?!

Sorry, someone just offered me 10 grand for it. I am off to the Bahamas.

11. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Hmm...  soon is a relative term.  KT has made some metal mag catches for the PF9 but apparently not enough to put them on the production line yet.  Last I heard, they were "trying them".  The service department has some.  One of the items in the KT future products survey is the possibility of some upgraded parts and acessories for the current line.  That could include stuff like metal mag catches so the answer to your question is a definite maybe some day.  Once I thought I had a bad mag catch as my mags kept poping out.  Turns out I had warped the grip when heating it for something else and the catch was fine so I have yet to have a plastic mag catch fail.  Oh and I do have a Beach catch in one of my P3s.  I'll be taking bids on it next week and will see you in the Bahams.  ;D

12. kraigster414

kraigster414 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Thank you. I apprciate the update and don't take less than 10 grand for yours. The starting bid on Ebay is 8.5 grand for one of these little Beach gems. Who would have thunk.

13. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Well between Sprinter and Beach this little beauty would have had to have been worth $15g then:
    [​IMG]

To bad I don't have any guns any more as that would have been one great investment.

-Scott

14. kraigster414

kraigster414 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Scott, I woudn't take anything less than a pristine '65 Mustang in trade for yours.  No way.  ;)

Does Beach's mag catch really rust? Wait until I get hold of that so and so.

15. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Too late, I think I traded that one for a bag of rice and a can or two beans - or something like that :)

-Scott

16. kraigster414

kraigster414 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Too late, I think I traded that one for a bag of rice and a can or two beans - or something like that  :)

-Scott
    [/quote]

Forget about it Scott.  I don't think I want you representing me in any law suit.  You'll settle for a double latte.

17. Cremator

Cremator New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    What is this Beach mag catch everyone speaks of? Are they still available somewhere?

18. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    A DOUBLE latte?  [​IMG]

-Scott

19. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    No. Beach is a (former?) member who made these on the side at one time and then stopped. The picture of the grey-ghost P3AT on the previous page has one of his installed. The fact that they are not available is what makes them so "valuable" now.

Someone that has a CNC shop needs to drop this into the machine and produce a few thousand of them!

-Scott (who does realize it is not that easy)

20. kraigster414

kraigster414 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    It's installed (the Beach metal mag catch)!  And it's worth its weight in gold (shown below).  

[​IMG]