Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a small metal burr inside my new savage/stevens 350 barrel the burr is small at about the middle of the 18" barrel i heard it scrape against the threads on my cleanig rod is this gun safe to fire?

·
Registered
944 Posts
I would be worried there may be a gouge near that burr creating a weak spot. If in doubt have a gunsmith look it over. Better safe than injured or worse.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
If this is a new gun I would call up Savage right now and report the issue to them. I would not fire the gun in that condition.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought this gun at the gun show the guy said it was new but when i ran a brush through i saw that it had been shot so i believe itll fire with no issues but would this small burr cause overpressure or be considered a barrel obstruction

·
Registered
462 Posts
I bought this gun at the gun show the guy said it was new but when i ran a brush through i saw that it had been shot so i believe itll fire with no issues but would this small burr cause overpressure or be considered a barrel obstruction
It's an obstruction that can cause metal fatigue. The gun can be fired, but eventually the barrel will rupture if it's not fixed.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
it could be dangerous with a slug. With shot, far less so, though as noted it could cause long term issues.

Guns are test fired at the plant, so it could still be new. Though I thought they cleaned them up and smeared on some preservatives after that at most places.

Get it fixed now, and you will never have to worry again. If you can find other evidence that it was used, you might try contacting the seller, but it probably will not do any good. Could have been an honest mistake, or not.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
You maynot even have to send off the whole gun to Savage for repair. There may be a possibility that all you need to do is send off your barrel for a replacement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts