Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
My completely uneducated guess is that the spring in the magazine would not produce sufficient force with which to reliably move cartridges up through the feed ramp.

Were it me, I'd go with a pair of proven 15 round magazines (and have ten rounds to spare).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Patiently waiting for a conclusive answer...

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I have 8 of these 20 mrd mags and they do not work very well in the P11. I only use the standard 10 rd and i have 1-12 rd mag. I use the 20 rd mags for my S2K and my S&W 5906 and 910's.

I think natlanta got it right!

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Mecgar makes some of the best magazines out there, I don't think it would be a weak spring causing the malfunction. I have three of their 18 round Sig226 mags and they are outstanding.

Edit: I don't have a P11 but I don't think I would want a 20 round mag for it if I did. I guess as a spare or to put in your vehicle it would be good if it was reliable in the P11.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Mecgar makes some of the best magazines out there, I don't think it would be a weak spring causing the malfunction.
It was said on this forum years ago, that the action is short and fast for the 20 rd mag. The round doesnt get into position fast enough to load. That is why some S&W 15rd mags need the extra power spring. It was also on this forum that the mecgar 15 rd mags may already have a strong enough spring so you do not have to replace it. I do have a few 15 rd mecgars that have worked in my P11, right out of the package. I rarely use anything other than the 10 rd mecgars when i shoot though. I'll shoot a few mags, then shoot a different gun!

Reactions: RAT76

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry to necropost, but I figured it would be better posting here than creating a whole new thread. I've used the MecGar 20rd S&W 59 series mags in the past, but I actually haven't tried them in a couple of years. They worked well for me when I tried them, but I'm wondering if it's more hit and miss. As soon as ranges open up I'm going to go try them out again as I just did some work on my P11, but I wanted some input. Has anyone else here tried these out successfully?

·
Registered
558 Posts
I might have used one or more in my P11, but I can say for certain that they work great in a Marlin Camp 9 Carbine.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Long live the zombie thread! I believe it will be hit and miss.

I have a couple of long 20 rd mags for the Camp 9 and for the S&W 59/5946/669/6906 collection. I’m not sure if I’ve ever tried those in the P11. As mentioned in the older posts, the slide cycle rate is faster on the P11 than the S&W wonder nines (lighter slide + stronger spring) so S&W mags often need stronger springs to get the round up faster to feed reliably. Some of my 15 rd mags don’t work in my P11, & some do.

If yours don’t feed reliably in the P11, try new extra strength springs - assuming Wolfe Springs has them.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have tried 2 of my 15 round mags from my S&W 915. Both were the nickel mecgar versions. They worked fine. Without a sleeve weren’t really comfortable but functioned fine.
My P11 is a back up ccw pistol... so I only use the smaller mags with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts