MCARBO trigger

Discussion in 'KS7 Bullpup Shotgun' started by Ark, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Ark

Ark Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Has the trigger been out of stock for awhile? I've been checking the site daily hoping it would be magically in stock again.

2. dfariswheel

dfariswheel Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Due to the virus companies are having trouble getting raw materials and workers to make them, and demand is high for all firearms and ammo related items, so many companies are shipping what they have for backorders.

Ark likes this.

3. rs_worthington@ yahoo.com

[email protected] yahoo.com Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2020
    My factory trigger works fine.

Ark likes this.
  4. Leviathan58651

Leviathan58651 Active Member Supporter

Apr 5, 2020
    Vista, CA
    Personally, I don't see a real benefit for a trigger upgrade. My factory trigger works fine as well.

5. dfariswheel

Jul 17, 2017
    There's nothing at all wrong with wanting to customize a gun, that's a major fun factory in owning firearms.

In this case I don't see any good reason other than "just because".
    The Kel-Tec shotguns have a trigger feel that would be the envy of any other makers bullpup rifle, much less in a shotgun.
    The Kel-Tec design of putting the sears up in the trigger group and putting the hammer at the rear was genius.

Most other designs use standard type firing units at the rear, linked to the forward trigger with a long draw or push bar that precludes a good trigger feel.

For that reason, unless you just want to customize your shotgun or you're going to use it as a dedicated long range accuracy slug gun an upgraded trigger in the Kel-Tec's is gilding the lily.

Ark likes this.
  6. Ark

Ark Member

Aug 2, 2020
    I had to look up "gilding the lily" lol

You are right, it really is just because, but it satisfies my love to tinker and customize... and willingly accept the torture that comes with reassembling the grip halves.

socrates likes this.
  7. socrates

socrates Active Member

Aug 20, 2019
    I bought one a while ago (just the trigger, not the spring) but haven't gotten around to it yet precisely because it looks like such a pain to reassemble.

Ark likes this.
  8. dfariswheel

Jul 17, 2017
    If you view the video on Mcarbo's site it makes reassembly easier.

I disassembled my KSG trigger unit when I first got it a few years ago and reassembly was a BEAR and I'm a retired watchmaker/gunsmith.

Based on what I found with the KSG, I saw no reason to disassemble the KS7 trigger unit, there's really not much in there that can or should be done, so I was prepared to leave it alone.

Then shortly after I got the gun the trigger started failing to reset all the time.
    Fortunately I saw the Mcarbo video and realized I did the KSG the wrong way.
    In virtually all firearms, disassembly is done with the right side down on the bench.
    With the Kel-Tec's it's properly done with the LEFT side down.
    That makes reassembly MUCH easier.

After a couple of strokes with a ceramic stone to smooth rough areas on the non-critical engagement sliding areas of the sears the KS7 resets with complete reliability.

Before tackling it, view the Mcarbo video and it'll be much easier.

Ark likes this.
  9. Ark

Ark Member

Aug 2, 2020
    I don't intend to do that unless necessary, but for education sake, what do you define are the critical engagement areas of the sears?

EDIT: All I had to do was Google.
    "Do NOT, under any circumstances, change the sear engagement notch, sear angle, hammer notch, angle, or relief angle on either without the proper jigs or tools, and some instruction. Tis a thin line between enjoyment and uncontrolled full auto."

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  10. MadRonin

MadRonin Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    If you can somehow make the KS7 full auto, more power to ya... :pewpew:

11. dfariswheel

Jul 17, 2017
    The areas I smoothed were NOT the sear engagement areas.
    The actual sear contact areas were NOT touched.

On part #224, the sear bar, I smoothed the shelf above and behind the notch itself.

On part #225 the sear, I smoothed the area UNDER the rear of the sear where it slides on the sear bar.

These areas are the areas where the sear bar and sear slide together during reset and were just rough enough to cause them to stick slightly and didn't have much lubricant on them.

After light smoothing with a ceramic stone I liberally greased the parts with Super Lube grease, which is a clear-white synthetic Teflon grease.
    I've used it for many years in customer guns, and MCarbo sells small tubes at a comparatively high price.

I buy Synco Super Lube grease and oil direct in cans of grease and 4 ounce bottles of the oil.
    The oil is a thin grease/thick oil consistency and the grease is a stiff grease.
    Both stay right where you put them and don't creep off, sling off, evaporate, dry out, or turn to "varnish".
    I've used these in customer pistols that I opened up again as much as 10 years later and it was still present and working.

Ark and Floyd Eye like this.