Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I just can't help myself when it comes to making mods on most of my firearms, I went ahead and purchased the new MCARBO feed ramp on there advanced member sale.

No, I have never had a problem with the factory feed ramp, but polishing the ramps in my firearms seems to be one of the things I just need to do to satisfy the itch. I think I have had my S2K apart at least a half dozen times, as MCARBO rolls out one mod after another.

At some point in the future, maybe I can assemble all of the parts I have removed/replaced and build an S2K that is factory original. I know, I know; I need help, but I can't stop!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once you get it and install it, please post a review. I was tempted to buy one this past weekend, but I haven't had any problems so I passed.
Yeah, I knew without installing it and testing it myself, I didn't have much to say about it. It had to be the hardest MCARBO item I've purchased to date, since, as you mentioned, I, too, have had no issues with the factory ramps. The final decision to buy was backed by my OCD drive to polish feed ramps whenever I clean my firearms.

Once I receive it, I'll post a review.

·
Registered
448 Posts
First let me say that I have had zero feed issues with my Sub2K and personally did not think this was necessary (and still really don't). However, I was bored and ordered one. It showed up today.

Here it is out of the bag it was shipped in.

Here is a picture of just the ramp

I believe MCARBO sells a polishing kit, and although it did not look like it needed to be polished, I did a little buffing on it. Can't really tell much difference.

I will not go into details of disassembly because there are plenty of videos and documentation for that. I decided to try and remove the old ramp without totally taking everything apart. You have to tap the old one out because it's sort of pressed onto the tube. I did get it out without issue, but when trying to put the new one in, things sort of fell out. So it may be best to just pull it all apart to begin with as its not that difficult. Here it is before I removed the old one. After several thousands of rounds, it pretty much still looks like new (other than not being cleaned yet from shooting earlier today) .

Here is the new one in place.

As usual, getting the two haves back together is the tricky part, but again, it's not that hard if you have done it before. Here it is after back together.

I then took it out back and did 3 mag dumps as fast as I could. No issues at all. But then again, I had no issues before either.

So, my opinion is that if you plan to install something else anyway like a trigger etc., then sure, this may not be a bad upgrade to do at the same time. However, if you are not having feed issues, and are not having any wear on the feed ramp, I probably would not pull it apart just for this.

Oh, and here is a picture of the original feed ramp after I cleaned it up. This is after several thousands of rounds. Probably would never actually wear out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poppo - Great review of installation and range report. "I was bored and ordered one" Yeah, this fits my excuse better than the just satisfying an itch. Maybe both apply, 'just can't tell.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I received my MCARBO feed ramp last night. For some reason, my Saturday morning duties were set aside, and I went ahead and installed the new fed ramp.

As I pulled the grip haves apart, didn't that pesky Sear Spring decide to take a giant leap out into the world never to be seen again. Jeese Louise. I know better, I thought. I have had this firearm apart so many times, and I have always been careful to watch for that kind of stuff. Last time I used a small cloth over my handset to prevent losing anything that might want to launch itself into the unknown.

I searched around until I was good and riled. Then I remembered. I had replaced the factory springs last year with the MCARBO set. I keep all factory parts of any firearm in the original factor box (if there is one - MilSurps is another story). Yup, There was the original Sear Spring in the bag.

All is back together. Bolt, trigger, safety all checked out as fully operational. I cycled two mags thru it with no feed issues. Cycled 50 rounds thru it at my backyard range. No issues, ran fine. It is a fun gun to run!

So once again, after refinishing my SKS stock, and playing with this feed ramp, I will sink into boredom looking for the next firearm modification adventure. It is a vicious addiction. . . . . .

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lookin' forward to the MCARBO S2K barrel, receiver, and bolt upgrades. Once they come onto the market, I will buy a set of handgrips and stock from Kel-Tec, use all of the original factory parts I have saved from replacing them with the MCARBO upgrades, and own two S2Ks! Then I'll have to start buying the MCARBO parts to replace those factory parts in my new one . . . .

·
Registered
645 Posts
I polished and installed my M*Carbo stainless steel feed ramp a few days ago. I haven't had a chance to shoot rounds through it, but dummy rounds fed with no problems. As other's have stated, this probably isn't a needed upgrade, but it is cool.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I see no reason to polish it. If it works? I am done;)
As noted earlier, it does not really need it. However from the MCARBO site:
Make sure to take this opportunity to polish the Stainless Steel Feed Ramp to further enhance the feeding operation in your SUB-2000
And polishing it is easier before you put it in.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Polishing will make it easier to clean, and it is certainly easier to polish before it is installed. Any improvement in the feeding operation gained from polishing the feed ramp would be hard to identify and quantify.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I agree. As I noted, mine was already smooth as is arrived. But it took just a few minutes with a Dremel and buffing wheel and polishing compound. I did not buy the stuff MCARBO sells as I have my own. If I did not already have the stuff, I would have just popped it in and not given it a second thought.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.