Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I love my SU16A and SU16CA fantastic rifles for all the reasons we know (I'm a former US Army Infantryman so a have a basic idea of what i speak)
Now the facts are- I'm disabled and use a wheelchair so any little edge i can achieve during shooting helps- I have enjoy the services of a pretty competent gunsmith so I'm looking for opinions on the quality/benefits of installing the trigger spring and trigger offered by MCarbo and or any other suggestions in that vein. thank you all

·
Registered
242 Posts
I installed a Red Lion trigger and a M-Carbo trigger spring in my SU-16c. The trigger pull went from bad and spring and heavy... to more crisp and lighter.

The original trigger and spring had a trigger pull of 8lbs. With the Red Lion Trigger and M-Carbo spring the trigger pull dropped to just about 5lbs.

Is it worth it... I guess if you hate crummy triggers it is probably worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Speedmaster;
I totally agree. I guess what threw me off was that, in the instruction video, the pictures were large & clear, but when I took apart the trigger, I realized, I was dealing with small parts. It mostly have to do with my poor sights, as I am in my late 50’s.
Apart from that, after completion, the feeling of metal trigger with a very crisp break was rewarding!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I didn't do the spring, but I am very happy with the m*carbo trigger.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I would say it could change it some. I did both when i did mine while you have to remove the trigger to get to the spring. I say try just the spring and see how you like it. If later you want to upgrade the trigger then you will know how to do it already and can try it with a metal trigger.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Good luck and let us know how you like it. I feel its a huge improvement over stock. I have the other one thats millied out from performance services. I just recently got a kit with the mcarbo trigger and spring installed already so im going to try the difference between the two.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Going to order the spring today. This rifle by far has the worst trigger of anything I own. I have been a competitive shooter since I was 14 so I am a little picky. The trigger pull combined with the wide grip makes for uncomfortable shooting after 100 rounds. Still for what it is , its not a bad rifle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went to order the spring, $13 plus about $6 shipping. $6 shipping for something that weighs less than my last breath ? I passed and performed the trigger job viewed here. I did not touch the sear. I improved the horrible trigger to a marginally acceptable one. Took about 1 hour.
watch

·
Registered
840 Posts
The trigger from performance services is beveled way more then mcarbos trigger is. That is one thing i like better so far. Its not as wide. I don't even know if they are still selling them from PS anymore. I like their skeletonized trigger.

It is hard to justify the price i know but its worth it. I would let you try the difference if you were close to me.

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
I like mine. Yes, need zip-ties to hold things in place while apart.
Interestingly, I found installing Performance Services grip swivel more challenging than the trigger.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.