Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hello guys , has any used the MCARBO trigger spring kit ? I'm thinking about doing it at the same time I do the RTK trigger.
I installed the kit in my 23 year old P11. the trigger keeps improving with live firing and dry firing with snap caps. The improvement was perceptible when first installed and just keeps improving!:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is interesting. One question though, does this spring kit work well with the Northwood Trigger kits? I actually purchased two kits for my two P11's and hadn't had time to get them installed (yeah, I know it's been a while). Now one P11 needed a replacement mag release so I was looking to just work on both of them and do everything all at once (including the fluff & buff and the paperclip mod) but I'd love to add this kit to the mix. The only thing I'm worried about is that doing all these things together might lighten the trigger pull too much. Has anyone installed this spring kit with the Northwood trigger?

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
This is interesting. One question though, does this spring kit work well with the Northwood Trigger kits? I actually purchased two kits for my two P11's and hadn't had time to get them installed (yeah, I know it's been a while). Now one P11 needed a replacement mag release so I was looking to just work on both of them and do everything all at once (including the fluff & buff and the paperclip mod) but I'd love to add this kit to the mix. The only thing I'm worried about is that doing all these things together might lighten the trigger pull too much. Has anyone installed this spring kit with the Northwood trigger?
The two are compatible.

The Northwood is, literally, just the physical trigger; the actual "lever" that you put your finger on. The M*CARBO spring kit is, well, just springs. You can use them separately or in concert with each other.

The trigger makes pulling it feel more comfortable on the finger. It's a bit broader and better contoured than the original plastic kel tec trigger. The spring kit replaces the springs with lighter, less forceful, springs; they are easier to pull and take less muscle in the trigger finger, thus making pulling the trigger more comfortable.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
76 Posts
The two are compatible.

The Northwood is, literally, just the physical trigger; the actual "lever" that you put your finger on. The M*CARBO spring kit is, well, just springs. You can use them separately or in concert with each other.

The trigger makes pulling it feel more comfortable on the finger. It's a bit broader and better contoured than the original plastic kel tec trigger. The spring kit replaces the springs with lighter, less forceful, springs; they are easier to pull and take less muscle in the trigger finger, thus making pulling the trigger more comfortable.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

That's great. Now does anyone know of any coupon codes to cut down on the price?

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
Yeah, but I have to buy two of them, two recoil spring assemblies and one stainless steel rod.
Neither of those are applicable to the trigger system and should not be considered in the discussion. It's like lumping a shifter and clutch together with a new trunk release and power window switch.

You don't need the recoil spring. Get one from Kel Tec. Seriously.

You don't need, and don't want, the steel guide rod. It's not necessary, doesn't improve performance in any way, and actually decreases the life-span of the gun by wallowing out the guide-rod hole in the slide (yes, this has been documented).

I like M*CARBO but those are things you really do not need.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Neither of those are applicable to the trigger system and should not be considered in the discussion. It's like lumping a shifter and clutch together with a new trunk release and power window switch.

You don't need the recoil spring. Get one from Kel Tec. Seriously.

You don't need, and don't want, the steel guide rod. It's not necessary, doesn't improve performance in any way, and actually decreases the life-span of the gun by wallowing out the guide-rod hole in the slide (yes, this has been documented).

I like M*CARBO but those are things you really do not need.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Good advice. I'll stick to the two spring kits for now.

BTW, the reason I was only going to order one guide rod was that I already had one which I'd removed from the gun back when the evidence of the damage it did came out. When looking over my parts I found it and couldn't really remember why I'd switched back to the plastic one, so thanks for the reminder. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
As a follow up, I installed all the springs and the Northwood trigger on one of my P11's. I also did the fluff n buff on the trigger bar and oiled and greased everything. I skipped the paperclip mod for now. I had to remove a lot of material from the Northwood trigger to get the hammer to release and now it releases with no overtravel at all. I've heard differing opinions on how this will affect live fire, but I'll have to wait until I can live fire it.

The good thing is that I've been dry firing with snap caps and the trigger pull feels great now. Once I'm able to get out to the range I'll see how it holds up. The I'll probably do one final disassembly to smooth out the area I filed down and reblue it.

Thanks go out to lklawson for his advice. Also I have to give a shout out to the M*Carbo team for putting together a great instruction video. It showed a full strip down and rebuild in about 20 minutes and made me feel comfortable working on the gun. Since the Northwood site is now down, all I had to guide me was the printed instructions which I'm glad I saved back at the time, but I couldn't have done it withouth the M*Carbo videos.

·
Grand Poobah
2,269 Posts
I wish this were in the good old days when you could ship a gun without all of the ATF restrictions.
I would have sent you my P-11 to see how the Mcarbo spring kit with the paper clip mod installed feels.When the indoor ranges open up in Va. I will be making heads turn there...

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
View attachment 45224
It passed trials today... put 120 rounds of fmj and then another 30 of my favorite JHP carry ammo. It all went bang and generally hit every where I pointed it. Kirk, correct as usual. Sights could be better. Trigger is nice improvement. It will take some getting used to. That front sight wanders around a lot waiting for that long trigger pull but it's just something new to learn. Thus far I like it...

Alright gentlemen, and the lady or two that I hope is here... I think I'm ready to part with this firearm. Need some help arriving at it's value. I know what I've got in it cost wise, but before I just take to my LGS, I want some feed back from here. Do I need to just put this up in the trading post (would be my first). Does it's value have more worth here as we, thekotg have more interest? or is it worth not hassling with shipping and transfer fees and sell it locally.
I will likely be including the 2 mags, kydex holster and a set of keltec OEM replacement sights I bought off the website. Mods if this thread needs to be removed/moved due to rule violation, apoligies in advance...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Alright gentlemen, and the lady or two that I hope is here... I think I'm ready to part with this firearm. Need some help arriving at it's value. I know what I've got in it cost wise, but before I just take to my LGS, I want some feed back from here. Do I need to just put this up in the trading post (would be my first). Does it's value have more worth here as we, thekotg have more interest? or is it worth not hassling with shipping and transfer fees and sell it locally.
I will likely be including the 2 mags, kydex holster and a set of keltec OEM replacement sights I bought off the website. Mods if this thread needs to be removed/moved due to rule violation, apoligies in advance...
Not sure on a fair price , what all have you done to it ?

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
I've transitioned to away from my P11 and to my new Mossberg MC2Sc + RD for carry. But I'm keeping my P11. It's had a lot of upgrades that make me like it; RTK Short Stroke adjustable trigger, M*CARBO 5-sih lb. trigger, hand Rust Blued for a deep and durable true blue finish, Twisted Industries fiber optic sights, tube-style "grip sleeve," and extendo-mag.

And the true DAO makes dry practice much easier.

Light Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
701 Posts
having seen what the aftermarket springs(mine has them too) do for trigger pull, I wish keltec had used them and that may have allowed them to reduce the length of reset without the trigger weight being unacceptable. I am assuming the length of trigger reset relates to trigger weight .

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I think (not an expert here) it’s related to the geometry of the trigger components themselves. Spring is only going to change the effort/pressure required to move the part. The part itself and where it engages the sear and the other parts of the trigger assembly would dictate the length of travel before the reset occurs.

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
I think (not an expert here) it’s related to the geometry of the trigger components themselves. Spring is only going to change the effort/pressure required to move the part. The part itself and where it engages the sear and the other parts of the trigger assembly would dictate the length of travel before the reset occurs.
That is it, yes. Here's an interesting link. Use at your own risk.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
701 Posts
some of this is similar to what i did to my Intertec Cat45 to lessen the stacking and the trigger pull was much improved.
but on the p11, will this improve (shorten ) the reset lenght of the trigger? that is where i want improvement. with my finger size, to insure reset i pretty much have to completely release the trigger until my finger taps the back of the trigger guard

41 - 60 of 68 Posts