Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Note the scoring on the OE feed ramp in the photo from the MCarbo web site. Mine is the same way . . . no wonder my CMR-30 is getting less and less reliable every time I take it to the range. And I've never run anything besides soft point ammo in it.

Larry

(Click to enlarge)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gen 2 > Gen 1 > OEM

Black Font Grey Rectangle Monochrome Rectangle Grey Font Gas Auto part Wood Font Gas Metal Circle Product Wood Material property Rectangle Font

The OEM feed ramp being plastic is something I hope Keltec reconsiders if they do more updates. I think MCARBO got it right with the Gen 2.

Same with the mag release. These changes should be incorporated as de facto improvements over current OEM.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The OEM feed ramp being plastic is something I hope Keltec reconsiders if they do more updates. I think MCARBO got it right with the Gen 2.

Same with the mag release. These changes should be incorporated as de facto improvements over current OEM.
My "magazine solution" was the so-called "5-second magazine fix". It hold the magazines tight against the bolt rails, was cheap, and required no disassembly. Now that I've ordered the MCarbo feed ramp, I kind of wish I could undo my previous solution and use their mag release.

It's kind of a shame on KelTec that six plus years after the CMR started shipping to customers, they still haven't fixed the more well known problems and left it to home gunsmiths with MCarbo parts. I've purchased several other firearms since my CMR, in each case the KelTec offering was dismissed out of hand because I can't trust the reliability..

Larry

PS: Perhaps you can post a little of your experience with the new fade ramp.

·
Registered
16 Posts

PS: Perhaps you can post a little of your experience with the new fade ramp.
Things where running pretty good with the Gen 1 except for Hornady CD and Armscore. Also the only hollow points I’ve shot.

With the Gen 2 I still had failures but it wasn’t 2+ per mag. Only shot the Armscore during one trip but it was 3 failures in 225 shots not 3 per mag so a definite improvement.

I’m out of Hornady but will order soon if I keep striking out locally, I would love to run this round reliably.

I believe the undercuts on the Gen 2 are the real winners here even over the Gen 1 for the round to extract at a lower profile / not angle up and impact the top of the barrel during feeding.

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Gen2 feed ramp arrived yesterday, and was polished & installed today. The toughest part was getting the bolt release spring into position. Also, the bolt release itself is a pain to get installed. The whole job took a couple hours.

At the range I fired 200 rounds of Armscor 40 grain soft points without a single failure to feed. I also fired 50 rounds of Hornady 45gr Critical Defense without any failures to feed. Unfortunately, I did have a three of failures with the Hornady where the magazine follower seemed to bind up. Those two mags seemed to have some follower bind -- a little dry graphite and the followers are a lot better. The bottom line is that the new feed ramp reduced my failures to feed from 4 in 100 last week to 0 in 250 this week.

All told, here are the four modifications it took to get my CMR running reliably:

1) Loading these magazines correctly is not easy. Even when I was exceptionally careful, I could see rounds getting crossed up inside. The solution is the Maglula speed loader. You still have to tap the magazine occasionally against the palm of your hand, but the magazines feed much more reliably. Note that I also have the American Speed Loader nest style loader. I seems to work pretty well also. However, I'm partial to the Maglula.

2) I was only able to fit about 20 rounds in with my speed loader before binding. The manual says "brand new magazines may be difficult to fully load. If this is the case, load to 20 or 25 rounds for the first 5 or 10 uses before fully loading the magazine." I saw online where some folks were hosing down their magazine internals with silicone spray. After lubing mine with dry graphite, I am easily able to fit 25 rounds into them. I didn't try more, as there are 50 rounds in a box -- two mags worth. As noted above, it seems wise to check the magazine followers periodically to ensure they are moving well.

3) The CMR-30's Magazines do not fit the rifle particularity well. The magazines are somewhat loose and allows a gap of up to 1/32" between mag lips and bolt rail. The trick is to do the "5-second Fix" magazine fix (you can find out more about online). But basically, you place a bead of glue under magazine's catch. This raises the body up, closing the space the between lips and rail. Note that MCarbo also makes a magazine catch that purports to do the same thing.

4) The Gen2 MCarbo feed ramp.

Larry

·
Registered
357 Posts
The gen2 ramp design looks to be a big improvement.
While I’ve not had any issues with loose mags, scarred ramps or feed issues in my CMR or PMR, I keep an eye on them.
I like that KT is working closely with MCARBO and offering services like installing MCARBO trigger parts for SUB2ks. The only firearm I ever had to send back to the manufacturer was my CMR and it’s run fine since, but if I had to do it again I’d gladly pay KT to install MCARBO parts. I’m a ‘ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ guy but I get doing upgrades to avoid future issues too.

·
Grand Poobah
1,396 Posts
I had installed the Gen I McCarbo ramp--right before they announced it wasn't for the CMR-30. I didn't file down an aluminum part of the rifle that protruded beyond the ramp in the round path and it looked like firing a few hundred rounds would probably wear it down to flush with the ramp.

When they came out with the Gen II, I bought one for the CMR-30 and installed it. The front of this version is more like the stock ramp and the rifle part doesn't protrude. This one definitely improved the rifle's reliability over stock, and the Gen I ramp.

Sometimes being first isn't best. I also put Gen II ramps in my PMR-30s, and am pleased with them. Now what to do with those two Gen I ramps I bought for the PMRs, but never got around to installing...

buzzsaw

·
Registered
804 Posts
I had installed the Gen I McCarbo ramp--right before they announced it wasn't for the CMR-30. I didn't file down an aluminum part of the rifle that protruded beyond the ramp in the round path and it looked like firing a few hundred rounds would probably wear it down to flush with the ramp.

When they came out with the Gen II, I bought one for the CMR-30 and installed it. The front of this version is more like the stock ramp and the rifle part doesn't protrude. This one definitely improved the rifle's reliability over stock, and the Gen I ramp.

Sometimes being first isn't best. I also put Gen II ramps in my PMR-30s, and am pleased with them. Now what to do with those two Gen I ramps I bought for the PMRs, but never got around to installing...

buzzsaw
I'll take 'em.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts