Maybe coming back...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Cetlek, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Cetlek

Cetlek New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I ended up selling both my Kel Tec's P-11 to much recoil and to heavy for pocket carry I live in Florida so I wear shorts and tee shirts like 10 months out of the year and than my P-32 which was very comfortable gun to carry and I brought it every where I went, cause it was so easy to carry and conceal, but thought I needed more power.

So I ended up buying a full size Stoeger Cougar 8040 but its just too heavy to carry and its bulky!!!

So now I am thinking I want something I can just put in my pocket and has some decent power so I am torn between the P-3at and Ruger LCP.They seem so similar.Any thoughts on the two?Thanks!

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    P3AT= original, well proven and less expensive.

LCP= copy, last round slide lock and more expensive.

I was a big Ruger fan until I found out they copied the P3 and claimed they "started with a blank sheet of paper".

CJ

3. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Well this has been done to death. You should do a search for LCP. I will say this I'm a Kel-Tec fan but the Ruger does have a better magazine catch. I made a steel one for my P-3AT. I think the plastic one is a weak point that can affect feeding if it doesn't hold the magazine in properly.

4. marko_pf9

marko_pf9 New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    i had a p11 and now have the pf9. im getting a p32 or p3at also. and maybe a pmr30. all of their guns are priced right. if necessary, the parts and accessories are a bargain. their warranty and customer service are untouchable. they are 100% American Made and i just love kel tec. :-* :'(

5. Cetlek

Cetlek New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I am leaning towards the Kel Tec :cool:

6. KelTex78

KelTex78 New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    What do you expect asking on a Kel-Tec board? ::)

Personally, I own an LCP. I bought it a couple of springs ago when we were in the worst part of when the KelTecs were hard to find. If I were to do it over again now, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a KelTec instead. I have nothing against the LCP but Ruger's design technique isn't something I'm fond of supporting. It looks a little prettier but the KT has the warranty and others have said that the aggressively checkered grip on the KT is easier to hold on to. The little LCP wants to jump out of my hand every time I shoot it.

7. Cetlek

Cetlek New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I know thi is a Kel Tec board ::), but I was hoping to get some unbiased opinion's......my main concern between the two is the trigger pull lb,The P-11 I had was IMO very hard to shoot mainly because it such a small gun firing a 9mm load and the trigger pull lb was brutal now on the other hand the P-32 was very enjoyable to shoot just need a tad more power,so thats why I am thing a .380 might be just what I am looking for but I want to be able to control it and be accurate with it within 15 yards......

8. xdfixr

xdfixr New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    Cetlek, I was in your shoes about a year and a half ago. When all was said and done I went with the KT. My reasons were that for one thing the KT is cheaper, with most things being equal (quality). Secondly, I looked into the LCP because the slide lock looked appealing until I found out that it doesn't lock the slide back on the last round. That was a deal breaker for me. Why have extra useless stuff hanging off the gun? The slick sided KT won out.

You mentioned concern with the trigger pull. I have tried both the LCP and the P3AT and the P3AT has a slight edge IMO, on trigger pull. For a cheap pocket gun, the trigger is actually quite good.

Good luck with your purchasing dilemma.

9. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    I have a P32, P3AT and a LCP.

Here's just a few things I have observed about the three guns that I own,

The fit and finish of the Kel Tec is not as refined as the Ruger. The Kel Tec's checkering is sharper, allowing for a good grip. To me the Kel Tec feels slimmer in my hand or pocket holster but the LCP is prettier. The LCP is slick and hard to hold onto during recoil and I have to reposition my grip.

All three guns shoot well. I have shot the P32 about 300 rounds, the P3AT about 500 and the LCP about 75. All the sights are small and hard to see but accuracy is pretty good for all three out to 10 yards. Reliability for all the guns have been outstanding. If I want to practice or have fun shooting a small pocket pistol I grab the P3AT, a box of my reloads and head to the range.

You can get most parts (colored grips, slides, barrels and small parts) for the Kel Tec easily. Kel Tec service is excellent. I'm not sure if you can get parts from Ruger as easy. I didn't see where you can order them from Ruger.

I conceal carry the P32 or the P3AT daily and trust them 100%. They are my CCW workhorses.
    The LCP still has to be proven for me to carry it full time but it's hard to prove it when I always grab the Kel Tec.

10. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I have both a P3AT and a P11, my mom has a second-gen P32 (which I have shot) and my wife has a first gen P32 on layaway.  I agree that the P11 trigger is pretty stiff.  The P3AT trigger, on the other hand, is pretty much exactly like that on mom's P32.  At the same distances (usually seven and ten yards), I get more, better and more accurate hits on paper targets firing seven rounds (I carry one in the chamber) from my P3AT that I get firing eleven rounds from my P11.  That - even more than ease of concealment, etc. - is why my P11 usually stays at home and I carry my P3AT as primary (or my snubbie .357 - which I also shoot much better than I shoot my P11.)

The thing that might make the P3AT a little harder to control than the P32 is increased recoil. My mom and wife both have difficulty with the recoil on my P3AT - to the point that neither of them could stand putting a full mag through it - and both of them love the P32 and handle it with ease. I don't notice much difference between the two as far as hurting my hands (maybe that has something to do with being used to firing .357 loads from a snub) but I do notice a difference in controllability. Putting a 'pinky extension' baseplate on my P3AT, however - as well as a little practice to discover the best grip - overcame any controllability issues I had. A grip sleeve makes controlling the little spitfire even easier - although I put one on mine more because the rough texture of the grips was rubbing my side raw when I carried it under an untucked shirt without an undershirt than for controllability.

11. sparx

sparx New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    I bought a P3AT on Tuesday. It is already on the way back to KelTec for warranty repairs due to intermittent failure to extract. I did all I could and could not correct the problem.

Keltec tells me 6-8 weeks before I get the gun returned. Well that is one heck of a long time, the lady at KT stated "they are swamped back there". I guess this means that they have a lot of defective units, right?

I am meeting a guy at the range to buy a Ruger LCP, I will post how that turns out.

Regarding my P3at, I must say the pistol was quite accurate at 30' and very easy for me to control. I don't like the lack of slide stop. It causes the shooter to fire on an empty chamber and thus beats up the extractor spring screw, which is the same problem I have with my PF9.

If you count rounds this can be avoided. I don't like this design flaw, but these are inexpensive pistols.

I do think a 6-8 week warranty repair period is ridiculous indeed!
    sparx

12. TnRebel1

TnRebel1 New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    I had the P11 and changed the trigger spring out with one that KT sent me and it took the pull wight down to 8lbs and that helped , but traded for a Taurus PT111 , and last year the wife got her Handgun Carry Permit as they are called here in Tn. I gave her my Bersa DT Thunder 380 to carry and she didn't like the size , so I bought her the P3AT and she had trouble with limp wristing and was having FTF, FTE , so I ordered her two pinky extinctions for the mags. and wala she could control it alot better and now she out shoots me with tight groups. and has not had an FTF or FTE since .

13. sparx

sparx New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    No deal for me on the Ruger LCP. It's POI at 30' was 8" low and the slide hold open is maunal (I guess) meaning you do not get a slide hold open after the last shot. The slide hold open works if the user manually applies the lever.

No need to buy that gun since it is not better than the 380 KelTec I sent in for service.

14. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Sparx--I'm wondering if you might have acted too soon. It takes a couple 100 rounds to break in a new pistol. That and a "fluff & buff" may well have been all it needed. www.elsiepeaforum.com is enlightening too. LCP's are not without troubles.

15. sparx

sparx New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    I had approximately 245 rounds through the gun, Winchester and Remington. I polished the extractor and inspected the spring and screw. I have new replacement extractor springs on hand and they were identical to the spring in the gun. I also did a nice polish on the chamber with JB Bore Paste.

I had no failures to feed but it seemed the extractor was not getting under the case rim completely, maybe material needs to be relieved from the notch the extractor rides in. I was not going to try that and VOID the warranty.

It has been said before that Kel Tec should put a bit more time into these guns maybe charge a little more and thus end up with less returns. I know I would aim for that if I was an Executive with Kel Tec.
    sparx

16. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    East Tennessee
    There is only one thing I would caution you/her to be on the lookout for with regard to the pinky extensions. Before I sent my P3AT back - when it was still a first gen - I kept having the magazine drop during recoil. I never had that particular problem until I put the pinky extensions on and it never happened after I put the flat baseplates back on. I wasn't hitting the mag release so, apparently, the extra leverage created by pressure on the grip extension on the bottom of the mag was enough to overcome the little, plastic mag release and cause the mag to drop.

When KT returned my P3AT rebuilt as a second gen using my original frame (it had a lot more problems than dropping the mag with an extension installed) - they had also replaced the mag release. I decided to try the pinky extension, again, and have had no problems with it, whatsoever. I now have such an extension on my carry mag because it really does help controllability.

17. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    For the 1st Gen. P-32 and and 1st Gen. P-3AT I prefer to use the current 1st Gen. P-32 extractor and extractor spring, still available from Kel-Tec. Earlier P-32s had a narrower extractor and weaker spring, earlier P-3ATs have a weaker spring and can benefit from the wider extractor as well.

Old  style extractor and spring are on left.
    New style extractor and spring are on right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited to add pics & explain that this applies only to 1st Gen. pistols.

18. sparx

sparx New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    My extractor looks nothing like that in the 380 keltec! Either of them is what I am saying.

sparx

19. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    You must have the 2nd gen. P-3AT then!

20. sparx

sparx New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Yes that is correct. 2nd gen