Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received the newest issue of American Handgunner magazine this week and read an article referencing the P32.

In the Tactics & Training column by John McCarthy he writes, "Though we love to debate about going to calibers smaller than .38 or 9mm, there's a case of note out of New Hampshire. Seems a 65 year-old grandmother shot a mugger with her .32 caliber Kel-Tech (sic) semi-auto pistol. Her assailant lived, but he was stopped with one shot. This case reflects less about the effectiveness of this or that caliber and more about the reality every fight is unique - with variables never perfectly repeating. Think what would have happened if she hadn't had a gun at all?"

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
This case reflects less about the effectiveness of this or that caliber and more about the reality every fight is unique - with variables never perfectly repeating. Think what would have happened if she hadn't had a gun at all?"[/I]
Newbe, interesting, THX for sharing-

Some of you may have read the Greg Ellfritz study on caliber/effectiveness; the info may even be posted elsewhere on KTOG but here is a link:

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

Here is an excerpt; his conclusion:

Conclusion:
This study took me a long time and a lot of effort to complete. Despite the work it took, I'm glad I did it. The results I got from the study lead me to believe that there really isn't that much difference between most defensive handgun rounds and calibers. None is a death ray, but most work adequately...even the lowly .22s. I've stopped worrying about trying to find the "ultimate" bullet. There isn't one. And I've stopped feeling the need to strap on my .45 every time I leave the house out of fear that my 9mm doesn't have enough "stopping power." Folks, carry what you want. Caliber really isn't all that important.
Take a look at the data. I hope it helps you decide what weapon to carry. No matter which gun you choose, pick one that is reliable and train with it until you can get fast accurate hits. Nothing beyond that really matters!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have a gun

Good posts both. The key to self defense is to have a gun. If you live a low risk life style and don't seek trouble, you'll probably never need to use a weapon. If you do, the gun you have with you will probably do the job just fine. I consider carrying a small, easily concealed, pistol like a P32 or P3AT (own both) as adequate protection and excellent insurance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.