Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering going to XD 2.0 compact for cc and the 2.0 tactical for "service" maybe with a comp.

My "first 100" PF9 will ALWAYS have a home!!!

Comments, PLEASE.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Additional query:
Do all of the XD mags interchange?
How about the barrels?
Can I put a longer threaded barrel on the compact gun?​

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
As I understand it, the XD series pistols work about the same as Glocks and Sigs and basically everything else out there when it comes to full size mags and compact/subcompact models: as long as you have a grip of equal or greater length in the same caliber, it'll work. Like, if you have a Glock 26 (subcompact), it can use the Glock 19 (compact) and Glock 17/34 (full size) mags. Likewise, with the XD series, if you have a subcompact model, it can use the compact and full-size magazines just fine. It would be strongly recommended to use magazine adapters/grip spacers when using larger mags in the smaller-grip pistol, though, so you don't run the risk of jamming that thing in there when the slide's locked back and damaging your ejector or whatever else - the adapter acts sort of as a "stopper" and makes the mag bottom out, just as the magazine base plate does when using the original correct-sized mag. Y'know, like this:

Aside from that ... yeah, sounds like a solid plan. Using the same platform for duty and for off-duty is always a good idea, as it provides consistency in manual of arms as well as gear. Personally, I'd by carrying one or two full-size mags (with adapters installed) when carrying the compact or subcompact, and have those mags as dedicated units to your off-duty carry rather than switching the spare mags for your full-size duty piece back and forth between duty and off-duty.

As far as going with a compensated model ... ehhhhh. I'm kinda on the fence on that one. I don't buy all this nonsense some folks spout about "OMG YOU'LL GO BLIND WHEN YOU SHOOT AT NIGHT!!!" when it comes to ported barrels. I've fired .45 ACP, 9mm, and even .357 Magnum at some rather dimly-lit indoor ranges, and depending upon the ammo used, the effect upon the shooter from that flash ranges from completely non-existent to, at worst, a moment of "Oh, wow, that looked cool" followed immediately by "Oh, wow, my shot still landed where I wanted it to go." The whole blindness-by-muzzle-flash thing with ported/compensated barrels is grossly overstated, IMHO. The bigger issues are NOISE - let's face it, just about ANYTHING centerfire is going to leave your ears ringing (likely with permanent damage) in a defensive situation - and the possibility of directing that blast back towards yourself if you're firing it from a position close to your body and if you don't have the port(s) angled away from yourself adequately. Worst-case scenario, you get even more noise directed toward yourself as well as a bit of carbon and some flash - nothing like blowing off the tip of your thumb (a-la putting your thumb on the wrong spot of a cylinder with a .357 Magnum Chiappa Rhino :eek: ), but still not fun and potentially injurious.

As someone that carries a S&W Performance Center Shield in .45 ACP with a ported barrel, I can honestly say ... skip the compensated stuff. It's nice for the range and competition, but you're not likely to see/feel any benefit in a real defensive situation. I'm all in favor of going with whatever long-slide/-barrel version you can get of your duty carry gun of choice, however, because having a longer sight radius is always a good thing, as is the added velocity from a longer barrel. Just be aware that a longer barrel/slide, past a certain point, can be a bit more cumbersome to yank clear from your holster and get on-target. I'd say with a 5" model XDM for duty and a subcompact XD 2.0 for off-duty (both in whatever caliber you prefer), you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand. not really looking at comps, more at suppressors. My ears already ring, and I am also looking to minimize the "PO the neighbors" factor.

Just for the range, not intending to carry a pistol with a can...

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
A suppressor won't buy you too much at the range, unless everybody ELSE shooting at that range also has a suppressor. If you're lucky enough to have your own private range in your backyard where you are the only shooter, a suppressor would be wonderful, albeit pretty expensive.

I understand. not really looking at comps, more at suppressors. My ears already ring, and I am also looking to minimize the "PO the neighbors" factor.

Just for the range, not intending to carry a pistol with a can...

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I would check out the H&K VP9 and Walther PPQ in addition to the XD. The VP9 can be had in a compact version, and with a factory threaded barrel. I think the PPQ is probably full-size only. Also look at the S&W M&P/Shield combo. We have all of these other guns, and four different XD flavors. It's all very much personal preference, but the XD is the last on my list. However, it's higher than the others on my wife's list (she's the one who owns all the XDs!) All these guns are good, you won't go wrong with any of them, so buy the one YOU like the best. Note: When checking out the XDs, be sure to check if the mags fall free when you press the release (if that matters to you). Some of our XDs fall free, others do not. All of the other guns, the mags don't just fall free - they forcefully eject under spring pressure (can't remember this 100% on the S&W's though - those are my sons and I don't have them handy to verify at the moment). I do know that the VP9 and PPQ mags literally fly out of the gun when you push the release.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have fully ambidextrous controls on my wish list, so the M&P group takes a hit for the one sided mag release...

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I have fully ambidextrous controls on my wish list, so the M&P group takes a hit for the one sided mag release...
Good point. Both my H&K and my Walther are ambidextrous. However, they both have paddle style mag releases (integrated into the trigger guard) rather than button style. Either you love those paddle style, or hate them. I happen to love them myself. The H&K can only be had with paddle style, but you can get the Walther with either style. However, I do not know if the Walther button-style is ambidextrous or not, since I don't have that type.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the XD. They're fine guns (we have four). But they don't fit my particular hand as well as some of the other guns. The XDs are much better than Glocks though, for my hand. The XD/S fits me OK, but not the XD/M or XD/C (I haven't tried the gen 2's though). But all XDs fit my wife's hand to her satisfaction. So it's personal preference, for sure.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
FWIW, the mag button on my PPQ Q5 Match (which is the same as the PPQ M2) can be switched over to either side. I think the one for lefties is actually a separate button, as I recall, which is included in the case with the gun. I'm a righty, though, so I never have messed with it. :) Same for my PPQ .45 and PPQ .22. Not 100% sure, but I think my gal's PPS is the same way, too.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am a righty, but I lost the end of my right thumb in a farming accident as a kid.
Good: 4f for Vietnam
Bad: cannot reach the left side controls so I drop the mag from the right side with my trigger finger...

Reactions: lklawson

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A suppressor won't buy you too much at the range, unless everybody ELSE shooting at that range also has a suppressor. If you're lucky enough to have your own private range in your backyard where you are the only shooter, a suppressor would be wonderful, albeit pretty expensive.
Well, I am moving to Sandpoint, ID. The municipal gun range does not usually have anybody else there.
AND my "lot" is over 5 acres...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.