Max Search Limit Work-Around?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Announcements' started by PshootR, Feb 28, 2009.

1. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    I was trying to search the P3-AT board for the retailer offering the lowest price on the Crimson Trace Laser but it turns out that the system is limited to a maximum of 50 results, which takes me only as far back as Dec. 15, 2008. I think the price info was posted sometime in the last 6 months but earlier than Dec. 15.

Any way to work around the 50 result limit or is the search function essentially time limited by the number of results? Generally, on most boards I can search back a couple of years if need be.
    Thanks, any help will be most appreciated.

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I changed the max on returned search results to 100. See how that works out and let me know. For all I know, the server may time out rather than work better. Also, I'm not sure how much further back CT was making a unit for the P3. Good luck.

3. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Found it!
    Thanks Tex.

BTW, the 100 result limit works fine for me when searching in one forum only. I think that if you searched for 100 results in all forums over a long period of time you would probably time out the server, so I don't try that.

4. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I'm glad that worked.  

Everyone out there, let me know if the server times out on you at this setting while doing a search.

5. MirageES

MirageES New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    I was searching for "grips" in all boards in the pasy year using the 100 search result and I got the above message at about 19:13 PST. I'm going to try limiting my search to the "P-3AT", "P32", and "Other Guns" boards. I don't know if this means that anything timed out, but I thought I should post it anyway since I have not had this message before using the same settings except with 50 results.

6. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Thanks. There is probably a reason is was set at 50. If this happens much more, I'll set it back there.

7. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    I would never search all boards for a year or even six months. This just about guarantees a failure of some kind. Either do a short term search on all boards or a mid to long term search on just one or at most a few. Evidently the search capability of the server is limited. When you think about it searching must take lots of computer power, that's why Google has zillions of computers. The method of delivering search results is not one I find very useful here, but that's how it is and I accept it as a small inconvenience on one of the best groups on the Internet.

You can try a search here http://www.radardetector.net/forums/ to see how a different type of search system works. Search box is in the upper right hand corner of the page.

8. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    On the previous version, Raymor had a setup for Google searches here. I don't recall ever using it though. Your advice on search parameters is good.

9. Dr.Awkward

Dr.Awkward Guest

Tried an "all dates" search, and no more searches would work from that window. Firefox v3. Guess I'll use Google, eh?

10. brentil

brentil Active Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    at the Solsticeforum.com we have a limit of search words needing to be 4 letters or more because with over 1 million posts the search can destroy the server. A good way to search when the built in one doesn't do what you want is to go to google and do "search_term site:ktog.org" and google will only return results from that website.

11. Tech Admin

Tech Admin New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    There are only SIX posts with the three words crimson trace price
    on the whole site, so there is no need to see more than 50 of them.
    If the search terms you used give more than 50 results, you need to
    add more words to your search because you really don't want to look
    through 100 posts to find the right one any way.

If someone really DID want to see 100 posts for some odd reason, the
    method suggested by brentil works quite well, for all sites, not just KTOG.

As PshootR mentioned, search is a very intensive process and the forum
    software we use isn't set up to make it any easier than it naturally is.
    Google and other companies in the search business make it faster and
    easier to creating an index. Like the index of a book, it's created once,
    then it can be used to quickly find the page number for any term used
    in the book. KTOG has no index, so it has to read through every single
    post ever made looking for the words you're searching for.