Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Marlin 336 30-30 walked into my house yesterday. I can already see some things that I will want to upgrade. It has a cheap stock.

Time to do some load work.

Gun Firearm Air gun Shotgun Airsoft gun

Text

Optical instrument Monocular Material property Cylinder Lens

Attachments

·
Registered
598 Posts
My Dad left me his 70's model 336 with a scope. They're sweet guns. I don't hunt so it's a range gun I seldom shoot.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
The 336 is a nice deer gun. It got both deer it was aimed at, one a head shot at 40 yards. Shown here with a Rossi 92 in .357.

My 336 was purchased new about 8 years ago. The loading gate was very stiff, and then during its third hunting season while loading the lever froze open. When the lever pivot screw was removed and installed that evening everything worked fine, so there must have been an extra piece of metal in there. (It was made just before they closed the old factory.)

But the freeze up probably cost getting a deer as my friend's backup Winchester lacked a scope and the deer were about 100 yards away. (One deer was hit, but escaped to other private property.)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nice looking rifle, congratulations and enjoy it.

I bought my Marlin 336W about 10 years at a Wal-mart for $275 NIB. I'm not a hunter either so the camo sling that came with it and a rubberized butt-plate are my only accessories. It's more of a survival rifle for me. Ain't much in the U.S. that a good 30-30 load won't handle.

As a side note I was quite surprised by the recoil standard 170g FL have in a 7 pound rifle. It got my attention.

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
In the state of KY,

More deer are taken with a 30-30 than any other caliber,

Yep , the Marlin 336 is the most prevalent model here.

Mine.

Gun Rifle Air gun Trigger Gun barrel

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shotgun

Jim

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.