Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did get the time to do some shooting yesterday with the Marlin 30-30 , that I traded for a few weeks ago,

When I first shot it back then , it was shooting ,with open sights, (I removed the scope) 8-10" high at 50 yards.

So I ordered a new Marbles fiber optic front sight at .410" tall, the original was .300" tall.

I guess I need to mention how smooth and precise the lever action is, and that the trigger is crisp, maybe 4-5 lbs pull. Easy shooter.
The action is smoother and more precise than all my Rossi LA, but not my Ubertis, Id say Uberti and the Marlins are about the same as far as being precise.

Guess I need a Winchester to see how it compares..;)

Man, my eyes just are too fuzzy at 50 yrds, but anyway, I had the rear sight moved up a couple notches , and fired my first shot, at the head of the silhouette,

It was about 6" low.. and 1 1/2" to right. At least now its not 10" high.

So after adjusting the rear sight up, and drifting both front and rear sights to get POI to POA. Now that's a PIA, its more or less a guessing game ...taping those sights left and right.
You can see the POI was moving with adj , nothing precise about moving those sights. I numbered my shots ( 1 thru 8), so sometimes I tapped too much, then again not enough...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I finally got it where I wanted it.
AND....decided that with my vision , being what it is, I will suffer the embarrassment of mounting a scope on my beautiful lever action rifle.

May even consider adding a peep sight.

You can see the first head shot , then I moved to center and worked it out to get a center shot.

Shooting sport Recreation Shooting Sport venue Shooting range

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have to admit to having a small scope on my Marlin 336. I just don't trust my eyes to use open sights in the dim light that I sometime have to hunt in and I never want to lose an animal. The scope definitely kills a lot of the classic looks though. Personally the Marlin's just feel better in the hand to me over the Winchester 94.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
I put a Weaver 1x3 on a solid DNZ scope mount on mine. 1X gives me a nice reticle and 3X lets me put the bullet just exactly where I want it for my short range (< 50 yards) deer hunting on my property.

Do I NEED a scope for 50 yards? No, but I like being able to shoot with more precision and it's more ethical for the odd shots I sometimes have to take.

I would like to experiment with a peep sight, perhaps I'll put that on my other 336 one of these days.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I put a Weaver 1x3 on a solid DNZ scope mount on mine. 1X gives me a nice reticle and 3X lets me put the bullet just exactly where I want it for my short range (< 50 yards) deer hunting on my property.

Do I NEED a scope for 50 yards? No, but I like being able to shoot with more precision and it's more ethical for the odd shots I sometimes have to take.

I would like to experiment with a peep sight, perhaps I'll put that on my other 336 one of these days.
Totally agree, as with most, the days of barking a squirrel at 50+ yds is long gone with eyes but with the help of optics evens the odds and many a deer has walked away at 100+ BECAUSE I COUDN'T make the good shot. My or should say wife's 336 has 3x9 weaver as that is all I had at the time she wanted to hunt , it is very accurate out to 125 yds I don't trust 30-30 out much further out than that and be sure of a clean kill. Mike

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
For hunting, I agree a scope is best. My preference for tang sights on a lever gun is nostalgia and cosmetics. But I don't hunt. I just target shoot with mine. If I miss, no animal gets maimed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If your eyes are going, swallow your pride and get an optic. No sense having a rifle you can't shoot when you can't see your sights or even your target.

As for a Winchester comparison. Personally, unless the Winchester is broken in or had some polishing done to it, it's not as good as a 336. For me, the gun felt clunky with the guts coming out then the lever pivoting. Still a nice rifle, but not my cup of tea. YMMV.

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, guess Ill just swallow my pride, so I can shoot this thing.....

Jim:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
If the receiver is tapped for a scope, I would try a ghost ring receiver sight for hunting. If you can see the deer's shoulder, that is good enough. Your eye will automaticly center in the ring, and the blurred front sight will be easy to center and put on the target. I like tang sights, but they can be fragile when up and in the way when down, and are better suited for target shooting.

Nothing balances better or is easier to carry and grip, or makes a better saddle or scabbard gun than a Winchester. I've owned and sold dozens. I keep Marlins for their superior action, trigger, sights, longevity, and strength.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
One thing I've been meaning to try, for quite a while now, is a stick-on diopter for my glasses. You can buy these things, but they're expensive for what they are (basically a piece of black electrical tape with a small hole punched in it). And that's exactly what I've been meaning to try (as a test). I don't want to routinely put tape on my glasses and then have to clean that off. I was thinking more like clip-on flip-up sunglasses that have the tape/hole permanently attached to them. I'd want some light yellow flip-ups since the diopter would darken the image my eye sees, and you don't want dark sunglasses compounding that.

But first, I can test sticking it directly on my normal eyeglasses to see if a diopter like that even works in the first place.

I get 'round to doing it one of these days!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
A heavy yellow tint on my glasses makes the target stand out better and the cloud and tree leaves look prettier. :D:D:D

Steve

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
A heavy yellow tint on my glasses makes the target stand out better and the cloud and tree leaves look prettier. :D:D:D

Steve
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTtibiaN4mU[/ame]

·
Registered
886 Posts
If memory serves your rifle is pre cross bolt safety so I would look for one of the receiver sights for side mounting if you go that route. The ones that mount on top of the receiver in the scope mount holes usually require a higher front sight for optimal use.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.