manual vs automatic trans riding mower

Discussion in 'The Counter' started by fez, Aug 7, 2020.

1. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2015
    That Koehler 17 is a solid engine. Have one in a old Husky that is close to 20 years old. The mower deck is gone but the engine still runs strong.

fez likes this.
  2. fez

fez Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    florida
    This guy shows good and bad points for both. However when doing the tests he backs up the X730 and then forward each time. When I mow I just keep going forward in a circle and let the circle get smaller as I go. I think that saves some time.

3. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

OK, now you are looking at some thing I have. I have a DLT3000, it has the automatic. It was given to my brother's church & some family that volunteered to do the yard work (for pay) had hammered the poor thing. The carb was literly broken & it had been eating dust for a while. The deck was also a mess & front end was worn out.

My vet had the same mower with low wear that he'd somehow broken the motor on. I bought it form him for $40 it & pulled parts to fix the church's mower. Heck it came with a new starter on it & another on in a box. Still got them as well as the rear end, fuel tank etc.

I've also got my Dad's old Craftsman that's the same mower but older & Brad's Craftsman that's pretty much the same. Both of them are manual & Brad;s is a Kolher, the rest Briggs.

All of them were put thru the mill & except for the one my vet broke a rod on the motors were still going when last parked. Leaking blowing & burning in some cases but still running.

If you take care of them & don't mow pastures & such they are good solid mowers.

My dad's manual got to where the shifter wouldn't work right & the other manual had the input shaft bearing on the transaxle wallow plumb out. The automatic is still working good. I think not having the shock loads of the clutch may make a difference. I like the automatic as I said in my earlier post. My Dad's manual was working fine until my brother got ahold of it.

fez likes this.
  4. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Ok, Rat. Ya lost me there. It might be the hours I've worked. It might be the Vodka cranberries that have worked me. But I lost ya there.

I did come away with one question... Volunteered with pay? How that work? huh?

lop (btw, lop = lawns oppress people) brittany.png

RAT76 likes this.
  5. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Yep, just as squirrely as it sounds lop. I forgot the part where they were using it as their personal mower & the part where they were running the church fireworks sales in the walmart parking lot. I went by it once when I was up at my brother's. They had been using the parking lot back of the stand as a urinal, ripe as it were. Class act all the way. :rolleyes:

Anyway they left the church, a lawn care service was hired & I ended up with the mower. As it turned out I was the only one with any money in it. It was a gift to the church & they dang sure didn't want it back. My brother used it at Dad's place til last year. Still runs, something jammed up in the deck last fall & covid happened before I could get it down here to fix it.

6. JR37

JR37 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Buy them both, figure out which one you want, sell the other for $550.

guru2sum, FLT and RAT76 like this.
  7. 9mmNATO

9mmNATO Member

May 23, 2020
    FEZ, i give a vote for the hydrostatic transmission, very easy to use. Go to some of the tractor dealers and see if there is a low hour used one. Good luck and may you have many years of mowing.

fez likes this.
  8. fez

fez Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    florida
    Many years of mowing? What are you a wise a$$? Only kidding. I'm gonna stick to walking right now. I can still do it and it keeps me in shape. Yeah, I'm kind of ragged out when I'm finished but it's not like they have to drag me off. I'm really not even breathing hard it's just that the Fla heat kinda wilts you. Thanks for the encouragement.

9. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

The electric on a small yard was a big improvement for me. The effort to move the mower around is a lot less due to the lighter weight. The effort to start it is non existent. It always runs. No gas, oil, filter or any maintenance for that matter other than cleaning if so inclined.

Not noiseless but much much quieter. This will extend my walk behind mowing years quite a bit. Pull starting that Snapper was getting to be problematic with my shoulder issues.

10. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2015
    You had the wrong Snapper.....;)

76423B2F-8189-4A2D-B150-F1B955A40470.jpeg

tx-rvr and RAT76 like this.