manual vs automatic trans riding mower

Discussion in 'The Counter' started by fez, Aug 7, 2020.

1. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    20200706_135804.jpg 20200706_135819.jpg Ok, not a solution to your post. But grass cutting ish related ish.

I don't have a lawn. My yard is woods. I cut it with a stihl 362. That is one boss saw. It replaced the 036 stihl that cost more than the car I carried it home in. Fine saws, poor mowers. I've got a few acres of wooded land. A little grass around the mailbox, a few paths here and there, and a bit of field out back that is not mine, but the owner lets me keep trimmed so my garden has sun light.

My wife has a few acres also. 1/2 of it is wooded and steep, the other is bottom land. She has a wonderful creek as one of her boundry lines. 1 foot deep, 8 feet wide ish. You open a door or window and you hear the creek. It is fantastic. I contain my jealousy poorly.

The wife had a guy who cut her front yard a few times a month. He decided to reestablish his relationship with drugs and her yard got thick. The guy who lets me trim his field near my garden also lets me hunt his bigger field. He also lets that get pretty rough. It is not his highest priority.

I needed to get a mower. I had a walk behind string trimmer that did my mailbox area and trails, but not the heavy stuff. My local GUNSHOP (see, this is a gun board, and i did go to a gun shop, so there) had a billy goat in the pawn shop side of the house.

Rock solid, heavy as can be, rude, crude, and tough. Honda motor (with oil filter). The guards around the hand controls are 1/4 in. bar stock. The blade is flat. No lift. Cut it and leave it. The unit was outside in the rain for awhile. I looked it over. I needed to bring gas to get it to crank. ONE pull and it was running. 3 forward, 1 reverse. Little bitty tractor tires. 1.5 inch trees slow it down a bit, but it eats them. Waist high wilds don't even make the motor grunt.

And, best of all, I can still claim I don't own a 'lawn mower'.

It has rear wheels and rails up front. I just got done putting 6inch wheels on the front. They are mounted on the inside of the cut box and stick down 1/2 an inch below the rails. Just enough to keep them from digging into the ground. Makes the machine much more manageable.

This what the webs found for a current version:
    https://www.mowersdirect.com/Billy-...201&msclkid=d24e44a1cfe31df97aab1b8eec9dd0af&

Just the thing for a 40 by 40 manicured lawn. ;)

lop

HatRon56, ral357, fez and 2 others like this.
  2. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2015
    WOW that thing looks more like one of those crazy WWII German machines than something that wages war on vegetation.:cool:

3. Oldynotmoldy

Oldynotmoldy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2019
    My wife has a mower with gas pedal and brake and shifter. Trying to mow with it kills my hips because of having to push the gas and brace with the other leg. My mower is 6 speed hi/lo with a speed control lever. I put it in gear, crank up the engine speed, pull the button to engage the blade and sit back in the comfy sit I put on, and mow. I much prefer mine.

fez likes this.
  4. fez

fez Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    florida
    His and hers mowers. I like that.

5. Oldynotmoldy

Feb 15, 2019
    Saves some of the marital agony.

fez likes this.
  6. fez

fez Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    florida
    Do you know the 3 rings of marriage?
    The engagement ring
    The wedding ring
    And suffer ring

TxCajun, FLT and JR37 like this.
  7. fez

fez Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    florida
    They say most men die before their wives. And do you know why? They want to.

FLT, ral357 and circlehawk like this.
  8. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    Well, this took a dark turn.

Lop

9. fez

fez Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    florida
    Yeah, sorry. Only jokes though. I've been married 51 years to the same lovely woman. Wouldn't trade a moment of it for anything. Sorry I got off track in my own thread. LOL.

10. Oldynotmoldy

Feb 15, 2019
    Lucky man. I'm on #5 and some days it's iffy. Course she says the same thing about me. Only I'm #4 for her.

fez likes this.
  11. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
  12. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Thanks for bringing it up lop. I didn't remember it, but then again I've got a memory like a steel colander. I must have been aware of it at some point, I posted in it on it's last active day. Enjoyed the read & better yet the laughs.

Now I think it's time for mustard.

mustard.jpg

13. Oldynotmoldy

Feb 15, 2019
    I've noticed there are some on here with attention deficit disorder. Not that I can pay attention all that long myself.............Oh wait a minute, what was I saying?

fez likes this.
  14. fez

fez Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    florida
    I can look at this 3 ways:
    You're a glutton for punishment.
    You don't when to give up.
    Or your very persistent and will keep trying till you get it right.:gl:

tx-rvr likes this.
  15. Oldynotmoldy

Feb 15, 2019
    My son once said, "Dad, there's something I don't understand. With all you have had happen to you in your life, you just keep going. How can you do that? My answer was, "The things I want in life have never changed, I just haven't gotten them yet."

fez and RAT76 like this.
  16. keith s

keith s Member

Mar 16, 2019
    i'm 66. i have a hydrostatic transmission (fully automatic) is the way to go.

fez likes this.
  17. Gliderguy

Gliderguy Member

Jan 28, 2020
  18. fez

fez Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    florida
    My neighbor told me two people in his church are selling used mowers. At their ages they now have a service. One is a Craftsman LT2000 with a Kohler Pro ohv 17hp mtr. The other is a Dixon zero turn ZT 30in with Briggs Stratton 9.0 hp mtr. Will have to learn a zt mower. Both are pushing 20 years but not abused and well maintained. Used on less then an acre. 450 for either one. Still thinking about it but any body prefer one over the other?

19. Oldynotmoldy

Feb 15, 2019
    Craftsman by far. Zero turns are hard to learn to manuever and maintain, in my opinion.

fez likes this.
  20. FLT

FLT Well-Known Member

Zero turn is at least twice as fast .its the only way to mow.

fez likes this.