Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 73 and still mow the lawn with a self propelled walking mower. It's not a big property. About 40x40 back and a little bigger front. In this Florida heat I now mow the back one day front another. I also have trimming, land scaping etc to do. I realize that as I wind down I will eventually have to go for a rider. If I last long enough then a lawn service. When the time comes for a rider which would you consider a more durable trans? Manual{clutch replacement understood) or auto? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I have had 2 riding mowers. One was over 30 years ago and the other was about 10 years ago. The first one was a cheap well used mower and the second was a Snapper rear engine. Both were belt drive manual trans. The snapper was a 30 inch and after my heart transplant I was able to use my walk behind mower. The rider was just too much trouble to get into tight places if I did not have to use it so I sold it. I now have 2 grandsons that are old enough to mow for me. :D:D:D :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
The auto may be a good ideal.

Steve

Reactions: fez

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I had a manual transmission mower for several years. Replaced it this year with a mower with a CVT transmission (not quite an automatic) Neither one has a clutch, belts with idler pullies. The reason I went with the CVT transmission mower (Troy Bilt Bronco 42 inch) was they did not have the size mower I was using ,39 inch with anti scalp wheels. My old mower did not have anti scalp wheels, and the blades were digging in on turns and on the hill. New mower does a great job. I have had to learn when to keep right foot on the go pedal, and when to let off of it. I nearly knocked my mail box down and ran through the hedge the first time I used it. I am doing better now. I believe the manual mower was more comfortable to drive. When you let off of the brake pedal and the mower started moving, you just put both feed on the foot plates, and mow. I do like my anti scalp wheels. I don't have an opinion on the full auto mower. It was several hundred dollars more than the one I bought. Wife say I am a cheapskate.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have a 1995 Simplicity Coronet rider with a 34" deck & hydro drive. Trans still works great.

Before that, I had a mid-80's Roper rider with a smaller deck (maybe 30") & manual trans.

Before that, self-propelled push mowers.

I'll take the hydro drive every time; makes it easy to vary speed on the fly & far more convenient to rapidly change direction of travel, such as when cutting close to trees & manuevering small areas.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Fez your lawn sounds like a good candidate for a snapper. They just brought back the old school model. Simple machines well suited for a smaller lawn. It’s well suited for fine cutting not bush hogging rough terrain. They have a belt driven blade and a different drive system. They have a reputation of long life for those who properly care for their machines, I suspect you are such an individual.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Over the past 10 years I've messed with several Craftsman 42 inch riders. All used, all around the same age. All belts & pulleys. The automatic one was much easier to mow with.

Like 62-20 said easier to control speed with the variable ration trans & leave the motor reved up to cut.

For now the self propelled walk behind electric is the bees knees.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All good input. I'll keep these tips in mind. For now though I'll keep on walking as long as I can. I consider it my exercise. LOL. By the way you might be wondering why not mow in the a.m. or later in the evening? In the a.m. the lawn is too wet from the dew. Clogs up the mower. Have to stop every 3 or 4 passes to clean out the grass. Makes ruts also. If I wait to long into the afternoon the thunder storms are active. Nature will make you do it on her schedule. LOL.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
My last mower was a Snapper self propelled, good mower. The new electric is half the weight or less (still a steel deck) & starts soooooooooooo much easier. I do have to wait until the grass gets good & dry. Batteries have come a long ways.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I used a walk behind self propelled mower until I was around 70. Back got to hurting and mowing the hill behind the house got harder. Doctor suggested I get a rider. I tried to get him to write me a prescription for a riding mower so Medicare would pay for it. No luck.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'd skip the rider and go straight to the lawn service.
Had a lawn guy for a few years. Kept upping the price. Got to the point I could have been making a car payment. Showed up twice a month for 45 min to an hour. It’s good to get out in the sun, I will mow mine and save that money.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd skip the rider and go straight to the lawn service.
I don't want to give up yet. I like to stay active but there will come a point to scale back. I will buy a reasonable priced rider when the time comes. Maybe a style like a Weed Eater One. It still will be less expensive then a service. I'll try to keep it going as long as I can.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I don't know 100% but I suspect its like a car... manuals easier to work on (cheaper) and easier to build (cheaper up front cost) and more rugged (if user does not screw up and shift in a way that can break it, or if it can prevent such things?). May also let you kick start it on a dead battery (at least a car can do that).

Autos are just a lot easier to use.

A LOT of lawn stuff is going full electric. Is there an electric rider out yet? I don't know, but if not, wait for it, won't be too long.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I don't know 100% but I suspect its like a car... manuals easier to work on (cheaper) and easier to build (cheaper up front cost) and more rugged (if user does not screw up and shift in a way that can break it, or if it can prevent such things?). May also let you kick start it on a dead battery (at least a car can do that).

Autos are just a lot easier to use.

A LOT of lawn stuff is going full electric. Is there an electric rider out yet? I don't know, but if not, wait for it, won't be too long.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-3...V3_3jBx3FGAZ9EAQYGiABEgLRQvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used the Weed Eater as an example of the style I like. Maybe something like a Troy. On a fixed income I can't break the bank. About 1k vicinity. When the time comes I may peruse some pre-owned ones also. Too bad I wasn't ready as I saw a Troy tb30r, I think, a year ago at a private sale. Looked very clean. The guy wanted 500 and I take away. Was just seeing what was out there at the time.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
My grandson was mowing for me until his mother decided to move close to her family. Now my SIL mows and trims. He and my wife think I am too old to get out in the heat and mow. I still want to do what I can, and riding the mower is one thing I can still do. I won't say I enjoy mowing, but I do like seeing the way the yard looks when I finish. If I slow down in the next two years like I have the past two, thinking about mowing will tire me out.
PS. DIL also took my handyman with her. Jack Jr.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A big family was not in the cards for me. My son never pulled the trigger to get married. My daughter is satisfied with her stepson. Who ever is left is scattered to the 4 winds. There is communication but no one is real close anymore. When I think back when folks were still alive on my side and the wife's it kinda saddens me when I think of the big holiday get togethers we used to have. Hey, but that's getting off track. LOL.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts