Managing Your Private Messages (PMs)

Discussion in 'Feedback and Announcements' started by TxCajun, Jun 28, 2007.

1. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I send and receive a lot of PMs. Some of you do to.
    This applies to you, and potentially others, eventually.

You will notice as your In box accumulates more and more PMs, opening them will become slower and slower. Eventually, the server will time out and you may not be able to open your In box at all. Of course, this prevents you from being able to clear it out and you are stuck in a Catch22. I currently have about 300 and have been putting off going through them to find the few that I need to save. I know it's primitive by geek standards, but I copy them to a Word doc and then clear the In box. My In box is getting a little slow. I don't recommend you let yours get this full.

Even worse is your Out box. You rarely look there so most don't think to clear it occasionally. I got caught in that trap. I had no need to open it for quite some time. Finally, I needed some info that I had PMed to someone. I tried for days to open my Out box, even at 3AM when I figured the server wasn't as busy. Nothing doing. There must have been 1000s.

My admin function here gives me pretty thorough access to the YABB forum tools but fortunately, the server is Ray's baby. I had to get Ray to dump about half of the stuff in my Out box for me so I could open it and clear it out. I would imagine that could be time-consuming for him.

I really dislike the PM system that we have. It would be great to have something more akin to a typical email interface with check boxes by each message so that they could be individually deleted or moved to various folders for storage. I've mentioned this to Ray more than once but I think we are stuck with what we have.

I am in the process of converting to the following plan: I use Outlook Express to manage the email account that I registered at KTOG. I am set to receive email notification of PMs, so I get an email containing each PM. I can set up folders and manage them there, periodically dumping everything in my KTOG IN/OUT boxes.

Anyway, just a suggestion. Perhaps some of you more technically savvy folks can come up with something better. I know this has been discussed before but felt the following caution was worth while.

[​IMG]

EMPTY YOUR OUTBOX AND INBOX PERIODICALLY!

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Thanks for the reminder Tx. I was SO hoping that you were announcing the improvements you just wished for as I too have wished for the same thing.

I print my "outbox" to an adobe file and then bulk delete it every now and then but I still have 87 messages in my inbox right now and it IS a pain deleting them one by one.

-Scott

3. Tech Admin

Tech Admin New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    It is now a bit easier to delete a lot of messages by using the "check all" box at the bottom.

4. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    TxCajun,

I remember discussing private mail strategies with you a few months ago, and I didn't think I'd learn much from this thread. Then I saw your comment about the OutBox. There's an OutBox? RutRo. I never go there. I send a lot of private messages. I always copy myself on them, and KTOG sends me an email copy of all the private messages in my InBox, so all my KTOG private messages, incoming and outgoing, are automatically managed along with all my email. It's very handy, but that's why I never bothered to notice the OutBox.

My OutBox was about to explode. When I clicked on it the KTOG server probably came close to a meltdown trying to create the huge summary page. After a couple of minutes, I was able to scroll to the bottom of a very long page, click "Check All" and delete them all in bulk. Ray is probably glad to have a few megabytes recovered to the hard drive.

I'll try to remember to check the OutBox more often and not allow it to collect so many messages. I'm trying to walk lightly and not hog many KTOG resources. I'd like to disable my OutBox completely.

5. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    I try to keep my outbox to about 10 that I consider important, and my inbox below 50.  Yesterday was a good example.  It was really slow in here so I went to work cleaning some of them out.  But that is a great idea about the copy/paste to a Doc.  Hadn't thought of that.

:)

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Hallelujah!  

This PM system is a huge improvement.  Via check box, you can select individual messages/groups of messages to delete, as opposed to the old system where you had to either delete them one at a time (very slow if you had a lot of messages) or delete all at once.  While you still can't create your own folders for storage, there is a storage box that you can move needed PMs to, thereby keeping your in and out box empty/clean and running quickly.  That should take a load off the server too.
     :cool:  

7. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Yes, the ability to check the messages to be deleted and then delete only those messages seemed like a missing feature. It was tedious to scroll down and delete each message individually.