Managing Private Messages

Discussion in 'Feedback and Announcements' started by TxCajun, Feb 11, 2006.

1. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I satarted to respond to this issue where it came up in another thread but decided to start a new topic here. I hope this helps.

I don't get it. At the top of EVERY page under the banner ad is the number of PMs you have. It's very hard to miss.

I sometimes get 100 or more PMs a month and have developed the habit of checking the number at the top frequently. What I have done is created a word document where I store PMs that I need to save, copy them, put them in the word document, and then empty the PM box.

I did this because on the old server, once I had 50 or so, that section of the board would run slowly and they would take a while to load. With the new server, the board has run much faster and that hasn't been an issue. But, if you save your important PMs in a word document, you can keep your inbox empty and it's easier to notice when you have "one". FWIW, the software at the KTR has a better system. It shows the number of unread PMs you have. Once you read them, it reverts to zero making it easier to notice when you have a new one. Try saving them in a word document, and emptying your inbox more frequently, and you have basically the same system. And as Modman said, selecet the email notification for PMs. These tips should help you keep up with them better. 8)

2. Beach

Beach New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Is there a limit to how many you can have in there?

Just curious, as I do clean it out. Right now I have 36 in there though. ::)

3. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I've had over 100 before. I ususally dump it once a week after saving any that I may need in the Word file. I guess it's only limitation is the server capacity. :-/

4. Mod_Man

Mod_Man New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    TX look at your Out going messages. I have 100s! and no issue yet. I clean out the message as they come in and always replay with the "Quote" function so I always have the message saved. ;)

5. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yea, replying with quote would be a good way to save your incoming PMs, but if I did that, I'd have zillions of outgoing ones to sort thru. I dump those periodically as well, saving the few I might want, again to a word file. The word file keeps everything in tact and IIRC, even links in the messages still work.

6. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005

+1

It might be a better idea to save them to Word as TxCajun suggests - the whole site will probably run faster/smoother without all that stuff stored on it. When you think about it, how often do you ever go back and look at them anyway?

7. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    See! Now we know why the site went down and Ray had to find a new, larger server. Modman has 18,402 PMs saved that he'll never even access again. ;D

8. Mod_Man

Mod_Man New Member

Sep 7, 2004