Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Should they be able to sell a lot more RDB if there is a 9mm version?

• Without a doubt.

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • No, 5.56 still is the biggest market sigment

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I want .45/10mm

Votes: 11 32.4%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Then I can really use it for home defense without worrying about over penetration;
I can shoot it at pistol range and ring steel at 25 yards.
Maybe even USPSA PCC to have some extra fun with it.
9mm suits the 3 MOA accuracy of RDB anyways.
Does Kel-Tec has a place where we can submit suggestions?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am still too new to add links and videos, but you can find penetration testing, and over-penetration testing for a lot of calibers. While I think that they could definitely sell a bullpup 9/10mm/.45 or whatever, I think wanting to limit over-penetration might not be the best reason to want pistol over rifle calibers. This is especially with the use of defensive/varmint ammunition.

Also, if you pick apart the RDB, re-loctite the screws, torque them properly, stake and mark them, and use decent ammunition, the RDB is more than capable of ~1 MOA accuracy for extended groups, at least in the case of the RDB-C/Hunter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am still too new to add links, but you can find penetration testing, and over-penetration testing for a lot of calibers. While I think that they could definitely sell a bullpup 9/10mm/.45 or whatever, I think wanting it over-penetration might not be the best reason to want pistol over rifle calibers.

Also, if you pick apart the RDB, re-loctite the screws, torque them properly, stake and mark them, and use decent ammunition, the RDB is more than capable of ~1 MOA accuracy for extended groups.
Oh I meant I do not want 556 to go through a few walls and hit my neighbor if I missed the intruder. I wouldn't worry about a 9mm round that much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oh I meant I do not want 556 to go through a few walls and hit my neighbor if I missed the intruder. I wouldn't worry about a 9mm round that much.
Generally speaking, I have found for myself that rifle and pistol calibers over penetrate equally, except for certain varmint and sporting purpose munitions, which can substantially decrease the over penetration of rifle projectiles. But this is an intensely personal topic that you should investigate and decide for yourself, and I am by no means an authority on it.

To put this back on topic, I wouldn't mind more RDB caliber options.. Or conversions. Hint hint, Kel-Tec..?

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
.45 suppressed is a fantastic home defense choice. You will still have hearing to make the 911 call. The goons in the getaway car will still be wondering whats taking so long. If they're still around to wonder...

·
Super Moderator
10,023 Posts
I'd like a 9mm RDB. I'd like a 10mm RDB even more.

I suspect that the RDB is too complex to compete as well as a pistol caliber carbine. Kel-Tec already sells the cute little SUB-2000 with a street price of around $350. I'm not sure the market for a 9mm RDB is large enough, given what a 9mm RDB would cost to manufacture. It would be great if they could keep a lot of the larger injection molded parts and make a lower cost and much simpler 9mm blow back version that uses Glock mags but that's probably not feasible.

Now that I'm thinking about it, while a pistol caliber carbine RDB would be cool, I wonder what the innovative engineers at Kel-Tec could devise if they started with the current AR-15 pistol rules from the BATFE and designed a personal defense weapon in 9mm or 10mm that was a larger pistol with a longer barrel for better terminal ballistic performance, longer sight radius and stabilized ergonomics for better accuracy. Playing by the same rules as AR-15 pistols, there is a lot of room to innovate if not constrained by the AR-15 platform. They could really get some panties in a bunch by designing a 50 round magazine that fits flat against the barrel, similar to the magazine on a P90.

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
a personal defense weapon in 9mm or 10mm that was a larger pistol with a longer barrel...
like an arm braced 1911?
I think the only reason AR-15 gets a pass,(here we go again), is the receiver extension is an integral part of the rifle and adding a accessory to it like an "arm brace" does not constitute a shoulder stock modification.
All we need is a "pistol" with an integral "extension" about 13" long. Yeah.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I happen to have just bought Aladdin's lamp off ebay.........when I'm finished with my three wishes I'll send it to ya........at a cost of course....lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'd want one for no other reason than cheap plinking while suppressed.

Not sure how well Gold Dots and HSTs would perform out of a longer barrel with the additional velocity. I think they're designed around 3-5" barrels. May expand too much to get the penetration needed to hit vitals.

I'm sticking with 300blk/5.56 for HD, "over penetration" concerns be damned.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
just buy a ruger pc-9 then reconfigure one of the bullpup 10/22 stock kits... done, right?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Beretta CX4 is fully ambi and reliable, if you can find one. It's not a bullpup but the mag goes in the grip and it is about the same overall length as the RDB.
There are many rifles that fill that role. My Ruger PC Carbine for instance. Great rifle, but not a bullpup. For a bullpup to be lefty friendly, it needs to not eject brass in the shooter's face. There are some options out there like the Tavor with a 9mm kit or a Hi Point in a High Tower Armory stock. But both of those are compromises. With the Tavor, it needs to be switched to left side eject, which means my wife, who is right handed, can't shoot it. With the Hi Point in the HTA stock, you have to install a brass deflector which works OK unless you put your face too close or you have the odd piece of brass that gets deflected into your face anyway.

As far as I know, the Jard J68 is the only downward ejecting pistol caliber bullpup on the market. There aren't a whole lot of reviews out there for the J68, however. Most of the info on the web says they've got ok reliability, ok accuracy, but a supremely good trigger.

·
Registered
88 Posts
There are many rifles that fill that role. My Ruger PC Carbine for instance. Great rifle, but not a bullpup. For a bullpup to be lefty friendly, it needs to not eject brass in the shooter's face. There are some options out there like the Tavor with a 9mm kit or a Hi Point in a High Tower Armory stock. But both of those are compromises. With the Tavor, it needs to be switched to left side eject, which means my wife, who is right handed, can't shoot it. With the Hi Point in the HTA stock, you have to install a brass deflector which works OK unless you put your face too close or you have the odd piece of brass that gets deflected into your face anyway.

As far as I know, the Jard J68 is the only downward ejecting pistol caliber bullpup on the market. There aren't a whole lot of reviews out there for the J68, however. Most of the info on the web says they've got ok reliability, ok accuracy, but a supremely good trigger.
I know - I shoot lefty and it's why I own an RDB. I only mentioned the CX4 because unlike the PC carbine, it can be switched quickly to lefty (including the ejection port), but this is indeed still a compromise if you need to very rapidly switch back and forth.

·
Registered
284 Posts
FN PS90, and you can look like you're from Stargate.

·
Registered
175 Posts
One of the RDB's biggest hurdles to reliability is how far the bolt has to travel; basically a little over the length of two 5.56 rounds. With a pistol caliber, assuming the gas piston could be tweaked for the lower pressure, you could do much better with even less bolt travel. I'd love to see this too

·
Registered
284 Posts
One of the RDB's biggest hurdles to reliability is how far the bolt has to travel; basically a little over the length of two 5.56 rounds. With a pistol caliber, assuming the gas piston could be tweaked for the lower pressure, you could do much better with even less bolt travel. I'd love to see this too
Most PCC are blow back operated. I assume that'd be the best way to do it on the rdb platform. no locking lugs and bolt made to the proper weight to properly cycle.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts