Making SD ammo

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by longbeard48, Nov 30, 2009.

1. longbeard48

longbeard48 New Member

Aug 31, 2009
    SD ammo for my P3AT is hard to come by, but I can get all the ball ammo I need.

I can borrow dies for the .380, but I don't want to go to the expense of buying powder and primers. Twenty-five rounds or so is all I would need to make.

Lately I have been thinking about pulling some of the solid nose bullets and buying some hollow points to replace them. Using the same powder charge with the lighter bullet should be safe. I just wondered if anyone has done this.

2. Welcome to KTOG longbeard.

IMHO- several problems with loading your own SD Ammo- especially as you describe.

1- Just swapping bullets and HOPING the HP will work with the existing powder charge is a recipe for - well WHO KNOWS. Reloading is exacting work- not guess work.

2- I reload- but NEVER SD loads. I would not want my lawyer having the burden of explaining away my super duper souped up assassin rounds to a jury.

3- You did not say if you reload or not. I am assuming you do not. Do you really want to fix up a batch of SD loads with some borrowed equipment as a first try? How much confidence would you have in what you did?

3. onefunzr2

onefunzr2 New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    I wouldn't think of doing what you describe.  Never.  

There used to be lots of folks on this forum that actually desired FMJ .380ACP bullets for the P3-AT.  They claimed hollow points won't penetrate a bad guy enough.  

I guess it all boils down to how much you value your own life or that of your loved ones.

4. longbeard48

longbeard48 New Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Thanks for the link, Rubb. I will probably order some CorBons.
    I do reload, but not for the .380ACP. I can borrow dies.
    Looking through my manuals, I can see no problem at all in going to a lighter bullet such as the new Barnes hollow points.
    I have an overabundance of .380 solid loads, and I was just toying with the idea. Probably won't get around to it. If I do, I will post the results (chrony and expansion).
    Thanks for all your opinions. Good shooting, everyone.
    Longbeard

5. abuck50

abuck50 New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I have no problem finding sufficient SD ammo. I have a much harder time finding reasonably priced practice ammo. I wouldn't even consider using a reload as you are describing for SD! That is not to say that an experienced re-loader could not make a reliable and effective SD round.

Craig

6. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    I would much prefer to see you using fmj from a major manufacturer for S.D., say Federal Cartridge Co., than trying to create your own jhp rounds.

7. longbeard48

longbeard48 New Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Again, thanks for the opinions.
    Longbeard