Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Tex, the tool you describe is a skiving tool. It's what prompted me to question if it would work to return rolled crimp hulls back to use, but it won't. Think of it as a cone with sandpaper on it. It skives the hull making the hull thinner at the crimp end so that marginal crimping tools can form a star crimp more easily.

------------------

But I have to correct something else that I repeated that I heard in the video that I referenced. The person in the video mentioned that he uses 20grains of Red Dot under the 7/8 oz slug. That may be so, but it could also be on the high side. Do a 'net search for "7/8 ounce 12ga shot loads with Red Dot" and look for the Alliant powder load data page to come up. That's what you want. Then find the loads with a 7/8 oz payload. There will be many. A 20 grain powder charge will result in (probably) a quite high velocity. That may be what you want, but not my goal. I think I can reduce that powder charge to 16-17 grains and get the reduced recoil load I'm looking for. But that remains to be seen. I needed to mention it before someone used the 20 grain charge and got something they didn't want. Lowering the powder charge can also give a safety margin. Pressure is a friend, but it can also be an enemy if it gets out of hand and 20 grains might be more than we want. I wish I had a pressure barrel but I don't.

·
9,946 Posts
The Spin Doctor is a smooth tapered tool to recondition hulls by friction warming them and pressing them to expand the mouth and remove the folded crimp. I just checked and the review says it will allow a roll crimped hull to be reused once or twice.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Spin-Doctor-for-large-bore-10ga-to-20ga/productinfo/SPINDOC

The skiving tool is similar but the surface is knurled so it shaves some of the plastic from inside the hull to make a thinner wall at the top to facilitate a folded crimp.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Power-Hull-Skiver-10ga-20ga/productinfo/0740011

I had forgotten about the Spin Doctor until Tex mentioned it but I'm pretty sure I bought both of these tools. I'm always looking for an excuse to buy reloading equipment.

Reactions: RAT76

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I stand corrected. I'll check it out. Thanks gents! I need to stop assuming I know what someone is talking about. It would lessen the amount of foot in mouth I put myself through. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Be very careful loading shotgun shells. Even a change of primers to a different brand can be a problem. I personally load shotshells but only do approved loads with approved primers and wads and specific brands of hulls. Let someone else have a kaboom. Life is short.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for the heads up.

Folks, the warning is a good one. Follow what the gent in the video suggests at your own risk and knowing the potential problems. And follow what I'm doing at your own risk as well.

An update... But first a recap. So far I've converted 2 3/4" 1oz birdshot loads to 7/8 oz 2" birdshot loads for testing. Then I converted the same 2 3/4" shells to .700 oz 15 #4 buckshot loads. I purchased a mess of 2 3/4" virgin primed RIO hulls and made a mess of them into into 2" .700 oz 15 #4 buckshot loads with Red Dot powder. The load data came from the video. The buckshot was from "strings" of buckshot that I cast just the other day and I left in strings as they came from the mold. I didn't start there though, I started with a load using 16 grains and worked my way up incrementally. Since I have no way to check the pressure I stopped at the load suggested by the gent in the video, 20 grains. The 16 grain load clearly was underpowered. The next was better and I saw no reason to stop until reaching 20 grains. I made 30 of them.

Ultimately my goal is to make 2" 7/8 oz Foster slugs, casting my own slugs using a LEE mold. But I'll start low and work my way up and I'll stop if I see any problems. But be aware that the pressures are low in a shotgun and the only problem seen might be the one where the barrel bursts catastrophically. But I'm deliberately using low base hulls in the hope that they might show problems with pressure if I encounter any.

So far I haven't set up the chronograph so I have no velocity data.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts